Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
False Praise >

False Praise

False Praise

Old 04-26-2011, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by erstan947
I believe that those who post on the QB have given their best. I'm proud for them that they are doing what they love. If they ask how it could be better then offer suggestions otherwise I give them encouragement. It took me a while to realize that I don't have to comment at all. It is better praise or say nothing than point out errors. Just my opinion:) Happy Quilting:thumbup:
I totally agree with this comment When I began I had no idea what could be improved and I was thrilled with how my quilt(s) turned out. As I continued to quilt, in retreats and classes, my quilting improved considerably. I am amazed how far I have come. Might have been different if the quilt police had dinged me in the beginning! There's is always something positive that can be said. And if not, best to keep mouth shut and foot out!

Everybody's idea of beauty is different. Who am I (or you) to say a quilt is not attractive? To someone else, it may be gorgeous. The quilt police should be disbanded.

Originally Posted by kathy
if i just HAVE to say something that might be taken as critisizm i do it by pm, that way NOBODY else hears me so it should not be embarrassing, if they tell me to take hike, nobody knows! and the board is still at peace
I like to do it that way also. But often I see "constructive criticisms" given in a very kind way and I think that really does help people. I also agree with one of the posters--we really don't have to comment. Although if you are made like me, keeping quiet is sometimes a challenge. :) :)
Old 04-26-2011, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by JanieW
I read the quilt police thread and some of the comments made me think about the issue of giving false praise.

When someone has made a quilt that is poorly put together or there isn't enough contrast with colour choices, or it just plain doesn't look right, are we being fair by complimenting them?

I don't believe in embarrassing a person by pointing out mistakes or telling them that they have to do it the "right" way. I don't believe in telling someone their work is lovely when it isn't. Being positive and encouraging is essential, but damning with faint praise is harmful.

Where is the line between trying to help someone improve their skills and being the dreaded hated quilt police?
It is quite possible that what you re looking at IS an improvement over what the quilter has done in the past. To continue to find fault when people are trying to improve is very discouraging to those who are tyring to move forward. When people ask for help with a project, want to know what needs change, etc., the person acting as critic can gently offer advice.

But be careful even then. After all, what do you want your husband/friend or other to say when you ask, "Do I look fat in these jeans?"
Old 04-26-2011, 08:00 AM

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". If someone really likes a certain color combination that I don't enjoy; it isn't my place to be critical. I recently heard someone make a statement about a quilt that had very simple blocks and bold colors. The person who provided the unsolicited opinion stated the quilt wasn't very artistic and should have more depth. The quilt was simplistic but still beautiful in the way Amish quilts are. I felt badly for the quilter whose work was being critisized. It just wasn't necessary to devalue the work of that quilter.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:08 AM

In-person comments are easier to make than on-line. A while back, at a show and tell, someone displayed their WIP and was met with the usual oohs and ahas. As she folded the quilt and placed it back in her bag, I could tell by her expression that something wasn't right.

Later, I approached her, (with some trepidation, I might add, we were strangers). I asked if I could have another look at her quilt. We pulled it out and spread it over a couple of tables. She said that something wasn't right, but couldn't figure it out. I found a couple of blocks that didn't look quite right, but wasn't sure why. She pointed out a couple more. I learned that she was using a block of the month pattern from a chain store. We discussed color batches, and slight differences in the design. She had been picking them up from time-to-time, and at different stores when they were on sale or she had coupons. I speculated they were different patterns, just vary similar.

A couple of months later, she pulled out the finished quilt. The odd-ball blocks were missing. Aside, she told me that she had studied the packages, and had different kit pieces. She found the correct pieces on e-bay, and finished it properly. They were so similar, that she figured no one would really know but her, but it made her feel better that we had studied it together and had identified the problem. Now she had a quilt that she was proud of.

Did anyone notice? We don't know. The only thing I had noticed was her facial expression. She was looking for opinions on her WIP, but didn't know how to ask, and no one offered anything but praise. I cried when I went home, because I felt her joy, and knew that I may have contributed part of her solution.

Perhaps that is what many of the previous thread comments lead to - someone is asking for an opinion, but don't necessarily know how to ask. A PM is stepping to the back table for a closer examination, and quiet conversation. Yet some people accuse a PM as a snide comment from the QP. It is indeed a gray area. I guess we need to learn to read between the lines to find those facial expressions.

Thanks to everyone who says nothing at all, rather than cut down progress. Thanks to those who give their honest opinion when asked. Thanks to everyone who finds that silver lining in the quilted cloud, and offers a positive comment. Thanks to those who dare to post their efforts, for we all learn from each other. Thanks to the administrators and moderators (the quilt board police) for allowing us to have these meaningful opportunities to share opinions. These are the values of this QuiltingBoard.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:09 AM

There are a thousand ways to make a quilt. Who are we to think only our way is correct? Sometimes I think critisism or the whole quilt police issue has more to do with the ugly in the person giving the critisism than the need for the quilter to be enlightened!

Everyone has different taste in color and style who is to say what is right and what is wrong? Sometimes people are working with fabric they have on hand and can't afford to trot off to the local quilt shop and buy the correct fabric, piece a top, and send it off the the long arm quilter to be finished. Not everybody is a perfectionist and do not need to be. Everyone has different challenges whether it is vision, motor skills, lack of funds or equipment, the list is endless. The only quilts we should critisize are our own.

I agree with most of the other posts on here if you can't say something nice don't say anything. If someone asks how to fix something or change something then share your knowledge freely. There is no right or wrong way to make a quilt, just alot of new fads and ideas.(mostly to make money off of us quilters!)Remember alot of the original quilts we love and oogle over were just worn out rags pieced together to keep their familys warm. :)
Old 04-26-2011, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by np3
If they haven't asked for help on improving their skills, then don't offer it. If you can't say something nice, say nothing at all. It may not look right to you, but it looks right to them and that is all that counts. It may not be your color choices, but it was theirs.

I like what I like and I don't particularly care about the rules on color choices or contrast. If I am making a gift for someone, then I care about what they like, even if it isn't my style.
I agree wholeheartedly!
Old 04-26-2011, 08:25 AM

LOVE your turtle quilt (off topic, but couldn't help exclaiming on your lovely work).

On topic: I had the privilege of hearing an internationally renown quilter speaking last night at a meeting of our local quilting guild. She said she never finished a quilt (and hers have graced the covers of magazines and hang in the national quilt museum) without wishing she had done something differently--this panel was too light, it should have been smaller/larger, I should/shouldn't have had used yellow, why on earth did I use turquoise.....She said it with a smile but we all know what she's talking about. In that spirit, I think most of us would appreciate any constructive observations that help us grow and develop as quilters.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:31 AM

I avoid making any comments if I can't find something positive to say. It probably would be better to offer some helpful advice, so that the quilter would learn and become a better quilter, but I don't think I have the ability to do that without hurting her/his feelings.

I don't think it is a good idea to falsely praise someone, so I just keep quiet.