Farmer's wife quilt sampler >

Farmer's wife quilt sampler

Farmer's wife quilt sampler

Old 02-13-2016, 07:15 PM
Power Poster

Such clear colors, too...here's a link to Blue Bell's post

http://beeinmybonnetco.blogspot.com/...l-vintage.html
Old 02-14-2016, 04:44 AM

besides the Farmer 30's wife here on the QB, there is also a group on Bloglovin that is doing a sew along but it doesn't look like they're doing it alphabetically as here on the QB. I purchased the book and have tried one or two blocks but since I'm new at PP, I'm going to practice with a few first. I also purchased Carol Doak's Craftsy class in hopes to improve my PP skills.

All the books I have seen contain approx. 100 blocks.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:45 AM

The only FWS I did was the first group one done here (2010+). I didn't have problems with those 6" blocks, nor do I recall any of the others that were doing it at the same time having problems. Of the FWS quilts, the first one is really the only one I like the look of and was never tempted to do any of the others. You can do a pretty thorough research of all of the FWS quilts and blocks here, which should help you decide which, if any, that you want to do.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:04 AM

We had great fun doing the first FWS, although I still have to get mine put together and quilted. Here is the opening thread to that journey.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-...um-t57733.html

There must be at least 50 threads for this first FWS using Laurie Hind's book. Check under archives for instructions and photos.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:37 AM

I'm doing this one:

http://gnomeangel.com/farmers-wife-1...ilt-sew-along/

I don't know if she's going to do all the blocks,but the ones she's doing, the directions get posted
Old 02-14-2016, 09:54 AM
Power Poster

I have the Farmer's Wife book, the original one, but have not made any blocks out of it.

I however did start working on the Farm Girl Vintage Sampler 12 inch blocks with my adult daughter, who wants a King sized quilt. We are having a lot of fun doing this. there are two options, one is to make the blocks in 6 inches and the other is to make them in 12 inches. There are also many other projects and quilts in this keepsake book by Lori Holt.

My daughter chose a Moda solids grey background instead of the white and she is using scraps of fabric we have in our scrap bin. It is starting to look promising.

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post

Have you seen the Farm Girl Vintage book by Lori Holt? You can make either 6 or 12 inch blocks. I made the 6 inch and the blocks, 48, are all made, need to sew them into a quilt. I enjoyed doing them and the instructions were excellent.

Old 02-14-2016, 11:29 AM

OK, thanks for posting the website. Is anyone on the board doing the Farm Girl Vintage?
Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post

Old 02-14-2016, 11:36 AM

Laura was a guest speaker at my guild a couple months ago. Her quilts were beautiful. You can do it! And her books are fun, full of stories.
Old 02-14-2016, 03:36 PM

I played in the first go around here on the QB. I picked a theme rather than a color so was able to use all colors. I tied it together with the binding. I have forgotten just what I did with the quilt.....I know I finished it and it was fun......doing it with the group was great. Lots of good suggestions and we all shared what we were doing as we went along. There was a coordinator and so we all worked on the same blocks every month.....I think we did two a week....don't remember, but I do remember it was fun! Good luck to you in whatever you decide to do. I strongly suggest doing this with a group.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:43 PM

Two quilting buddies and I are currently making the 6" blocks in a block exchange. Divided the 117 blocks by 3, so we are each making 39 blocks, four of each to exchange and make one quilt to donate. What a challenge!! Wish we had thought about making less blocks and making them larger.