Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
fat quarters - new size? >

fat quarters - new size?

fat quarters - new size?

Old 07-24-2011, 05:15 AM

I don't think you can blame it on the store; i.e., Hancock's. Some manufacturers are making their fabrics less wide. Therefore, if a fabric is, say 40" inches wide, the fat quarter will be 18" x 20". However a yard is a yard, so a fat quarter should never be shorter than 18" long. Blame it on the manufacturer. I guess with the price of cotton going up, they're trying to get around it. Let them know what you think.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by cjsparks
If you watch at Joann's and some of the other big box stores, they cut at the amount you request. But how do youu know that the first edge is square...generally not. I have purchased fabric at several different lqs and they will add just a little for this reason. They want their customers to be satisfied and know there is nothing worse than to be a little short of fabric.
I know. Just this week I purchased fabric at Joann's and had to ask her to measure the selvage edge after she cut it and it was short. I also went to LQS and bought fabric and she added about 4-5 inches on 2 yards. It's getting so you can not afford Joann's fabric without a coupon.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by wolfkitty
I don't like it when companies (fabric, food) change the amount without labeling the package (at least for food) or somehow letting you know that's what they are doing. As someone said, do they think we are stupid? Why don't they figure out that we just feel deceived and ripped off?
Agree. Potato chips used to be 16oz. Now 10.5oz for the same price.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by suezq
WalMart is now bringing back to their stores a very nice line of fabrics, qujilting notions, as well as all of the accessories, and a lot of the fabric I saw was the same as JoAnn's had for several dollars more.
Don't let Walmart fool you though. Yes they are bringing back fabric but also going up on prices just like everywhere else. What they call there good fabric now is up to between $6-7.98 a yard and the flimsy stuff which we use to be able to buy for about $3.50 is now over $4 a yard.

Also especially watch there fat quarters..... they have some of it with a different sticker which is hard to peel off. It has a silver sticky side and reminds me of superglue. Damn stuff stuck to my fingers just like super glue and also lost at least two fat quarters because I could not pull off the sticker. FQ's are also higher.....$1.45 each. We use to be able to buy those for less than a dollar.

Now I did buy 15 different new yardage fabrics X 2 the other day at Walmarts but it still was almost $6 a yard with tax. Manufacturer brand name is Spring Creative Products Group, LLC 2011. I bought it because it looks rich in solid colors..... with a mirage of lines in it but not over powering.... very pretty.

We supposedly have sale prices on some stuff but they don't drop it more than 50 cents a yard when they do. We have this 1 and 2 dollar sales in our Walmart here. Lowest sale table price is $3 to $3.50 a yard and they even have some $4.97 a yard and that is the cheesy looking one.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:51 AM

If you notice, batiks are not always 44-45" wide so that would make their fatquarters smaller. :D
Old 07-24-2011, 05:58 AM

I was in Joann's yesterday . $1.99 for a FQ first time I bought one. Is that a good price? (18x21) I had to pick up a few things and read she had a sale and since the temp. was down to a cool 95 I desided to venture out. I also bought a Jelly Roll. That was a first also. Saw the Jelly Roll Race and wanted to make one. I found it in WalMart ($ 9.?) It was cheaper then Joanns. I remember someone saying she bought 1/8 yds of different fabrick as it was cheaper so will remember that next time
Old 07-24-2011, 06:08 AM

This could cause major problems with patterns.
What yardage the pattern calls for will not be enough.
This is very upseting.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by clsurz
Originally Posted by suezq
WalMart is now bringing back to their stores a very nice line of fabrics, qujilting notions, as well as all of the accessories, and a lot of the fabric I saw was the same as JoAnn's had for several dollars more.
Don't let Walmart fool you though. Yes they are bringing back fabric but also going up on prices just like everywhere else. What they call there good fabric now is up to between $6-7.98 a yard and the flimsy stuff which we use to be able to buy for about $3.50 is now over $4 a yard.

Also especially watch there fat quarters..... they have some of it with a different sticker which is hard to peel off. It has a silver sticky side and reminds me of superglue. Damn stuff stuck to my fingers just like super glue and also lost at least two fat quarters because I could not pull off the sticker. FQ's are also higher.....$1.45 each. We use to be able to buy those for less than a dollar.

Now I did buy 15 different new yardage fabrics X 2 the other day at Walmarts but it still was almost $6 a yard with tax. Manufacturer brand name is Spring Creative Products Group, LLC 2011. I bought it because it looks rich in solid colors..... with a mirage of lines in it but not over powering.... very pretty.

We supposedly have sale prices on some stuff but they don't drop it more than 50 cents a yard when they do. We have this 1 and 2 dollar sales in our Walmart here. Lowest sale table price is $3 to $3.50 a yard and they even have some $4.97 a yard and that is the cheesy looking one.
I'm finding more and more with Walmart "You don't get what you pay for." You really have to watch its prices (and product placement on shelves).

LQS are the best way to go because their business depends on satisfied customers.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:37 AM

I just measured a fat quarter order that I got from Joann.com (ordered it last fall), and every one of them (12 in all) were 17" to 17.5". My fault, I should have measured earlier, but still...So I am sending them a complaint about this. Maybe more members should do this to get the point across...

Dear Sirs,
After reading a comment in a quilting website about fat quarters not measuring correctly, I measured fat quarters I ordered from your website last fall. Sure enough, all 12 measured 17" to 17.5", which is 34" to 35". As you might not be aware, a yard is 36", which makes a fat qurter 18". Needless to say, I will not be buying any fat quarters from your stores or websites ever again. Fom the member comments online, this is widespread throughout your stores nationwide. What a shame, I liked you store, but now I know better. I have the choice to shop elsewhere, and I will do so.
Sincerely
Old 07-24-2011, 06:38 AM

Well, that will throw a lot of patterns off :(