Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
fat quarters - new size? >

fat quarters - new size?

fat quarters - new size?

Old 07-24-2011, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by 0tis
Has anyone noticed that fat quarters are shrinking? I purchased some and they are labeled fat quarters and the label says 17" x21" - somewhere I saw 17.5" x 21" - I always thought fat quarters were 18" x 22" - hmmm... must be reducing the size but not the price.
I don't buy fat quarters because I like the full width of fabric. But I can see that happening. It's like buying a can of soup, ever notice that they are smaller now, by at least an ounce? A half yard should always be 18" and a fat quarter should always be 1/4 of 36"x width of fabric. If we stop buying them maybe they would go back to the proper size. The old rule of supply and demand....
Old 07-24-2011, 04:32 AM

I very seldom buy fat quarters. Get them as gifts though. I make my own. If when I make something I have a 1/2 yard left, I make 2 fat quarters and put them in my fat quarter stash for the patterns I have that requires them and I know I will Love the fabric there this way.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:40 AM

Hey Folks, This is called inflation. Fat quarters are smaller and the same price. Sugar in 4lb bags and the same price. Have you noticed boxes of crackers or cookies, less in size, more in price.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:43 AM

This is exactly why I won't buy fat quarters. I buy 1/2 yd more of anything I buy and cut my own 2 FQ's. It's just like anything else we buy, boxes of cereal, candy bars, etc. They start by making the product or amt of product smaller and charge you the same price you used to pay for the larger size, then eventually, when you get used to the smaller size, they raise the price. That way, you get ripped off SLOWLY.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:43 AM

A couple of comments:

I have worked at a Hancock Fabrics for three years. I don't recall fats being $1.24. I do think they were $1.49 though before.

I have checked the widths of some fabric recently just to see and the widths are usually about 44". I was surprised as I thought it would be short of that.

I think the big box stores are very strict with employees cutting fabric exactly what the customer is purchasing. It never used to be that way. I personally (lqs or big box) will purchase a little bit more fabric than I actually need, like a couple of inches for straightening. I think people just don't know that you can buy say 20" instead of a 1/2 a yard.

I always make sure customers get their full piece that they are buying. Always making sure that if the fabric hasn't been cut straight prior to the current purchase, I will always cut from the shorter end.

Personally I think fat quarters are just fun to collect. When I am visit a lqs, I always find something to buy, even if it's small, like a fat quarter. I love the small shops and want them to stay in business!!
Old 07-24-2011, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by sisLH
F Q's for $1.24 and $1.99? Holy cow -ours here are $2.79 and have been for quite some time.
Exactly! I paid $3.29 the other day. If I really like the fabric I don't buy fat quarters anymore. There is more value in a full cut and then I have extra for gifts.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Leota
Check the width of regular fabric... usually it's 44-45 inches wide... they may be reducing the width of the fabric too.
I've heard manufacturers are creating fabric at 42 inches. However length (unless precut by manufacturer) is a decision by the shop.

Those who find short fats should mention it to the shop. We should get the yardage we ask for.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 0tis
Has anyone noticed that fat quarters are shrinking? I purchased some and they are labeled fat quarters and the label says 17" x21" - somewhere I saw 17.5" x 21" - I always thought fat quarters were 18" x 22" - hmmm... must be reducing the size but not the price.
the size was always "approximately" 18" x 22". Then in the early 2000 range, some maker's started making fabric only 40" wide, some even went down to 38". But that quickly failed, as it was more costly to set the looms at different sizes. Now however, some of the selvage edges are larger to accomodate MORE writing on them. Like the statements about it being used for personal use only, copryright, etc.
So the fabric might be 42", but once you remove the selvage, which is non-usable,(due the tighter warp) it makes the usable portion of the fabric only 40". The 18" part should NOT be changed. A half yard is a half yard and any shop selling you less than a true 18" is cheating you!
Old 07-24-2011, 05:13 AM

"New" "Improved" "10% More".....they all put it right in our faces when they give us something but seriously misjudge our intelligence when they take it away. Ice cream companies thought they would 'gift' us with a new design package - tapered at the bottom. Did they think we wouldn't read the 1.5 lt weight instead of 64oz? Our only recourse is not to buy their products and use our keyboards to let them know.
Soapbox stashed.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:15 AM

I was alway told a fat quarter is 18" by 1/2 the width of the bolt...I can understand if the length changes IF the width of the bolt is smaller but it should alway be 18" wide