Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: fat quarters - new size?

Has anyone noticed that fat quarters are shrinking? I purchased some and they are labeled fat quarters and the label says 17" x21" - somewhere I saw 17.5" x 21" - I always thought fat quarters were 18" x 22" - hmmm... must be reducing the size but not the price.

I have bought them and noticed they are getting smaller too.
    And the price of fabric is going up too. I was at Joann's and I saw some marked 12.99 a Yard and it was quilting fabric.

I'm glad I have fabric stored up. I just buy a little bit now.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 0tis
    Has anyone noticed that fat quarters are shrinking? I purchased some and they are labeled fat quarters and the label says 17" x21" - somewhere I saw 17.5" x 21" - I always thought fat quarters were 18" x 22" - hmmm... must be reducing the size but not the price.
    Was at hancocks the other day and looking at there FQ and yes there making them smaller and charging more, they use to be $1.24 now there selling them for $1.99 for 17X21 ......I guess they didn't think we would notice?

So now I won't be buying FQ from Hancocks any more....

Check the width of regular fabric... usually it's 44-45 inches wide... they may be reducing the width of the fabric too.

they should not be labeled as fat quarters then, they are a quarter of 34"

At least I no wknow that I am not crazy, as I saw the same thing. JoAnn Fabrics is a real rip off some times, unless they are having a great sale, or you manage to accummulate the coupons at 40% off a regular priced item.
    WalMart is now bringing back to their stores a very nice line of fabrics, qujilting notions, as well as all of the accessories, and a lot of the fabric I saw was the same as JoAnn's had for several dollars more.

I don't like it when companies (fabric, food) change the amount without labeling the package (at least for food) or somehow letting you know that's what they are doing. As someone said, do they think we are stupid? Why don't they figure out that we just feel deceived and ripped off?

Blog Entries
    i don't think there is an excuse for them to not be 18"...but the other dimension is dependant on the actual width of the fabric- since to cut a fat quarter you first cut a 1/2 yard...18" then you cut at the fold---so if the fabric is 44" wide you will have 22"...if the fabric is only 36" wide the fq would measure 18"x18"
    40" wide = 20" x 18"...
    the 18" is (should be the constant)

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    i don't think there is an excuse for them to not be 18"...but the other dimension is dependant on the actual width of the fabric- since to cut a fat quarter you first cut a 1/2 yard...18" then you cut at the fold---so if the fabric is 44" wide you will have 22"...if the fabric is only 36" wide the fq would measure 18"x18"
    40" wide = 20" x 18"...
    the 18" is (should be the constant)
    right, I can see maybe the fabric is not as wide, but a yard is still a yard. Come on, folks, we are not stupid. Maybe we should get them for false advertising. Or call the state department of weights and measures, obviously their yardstick is a bit off.

What scares me is pretty soon a yard will be 34" or 35" not 36 - and the price will go up not down..

Blog Entries
    sometimes the width of fabric is only 42, hence the 21 inch bit.

Do you suppose they've gone metric??

Blog Entries
    If they had gone metric, then the quarter would be larger, as a metre is nearly 40in, so a metric quarter is nearly 20 x half the width of the fabric.

If you watch at Joann's and some of the other big box stores, they cut at the amount you request. But how do youu know that the first edge is square...generally not. I have purchased fabric at several different lqs and they will add just a little for this reason. They want their customers to be satisfied and know there is nothing worse than to be a little short of fabric.

Banned
    Liberty Hill - Central TEXAS Hill Country
    When this happens, perhaps if we 'nicely' voice our complaint of what we EXPECT a FQ to be & we won't be buying them any more they will WAKE UP!!!

We aren't a bunch of kids (some of us are REALLY senior citizens) & we don't need to be treated as if we don't know the difference in what we are getting. Just my opinion.

I just HAD to get in on this conversation. I took "fat quarters" back to Joanne's to get my $$ back as they were so far off. The sales clerk got the manager and I was told - "read the label" the small label says "approximate". I was NOT happy. She took back half of what I wanted to return!!!!! Makes life interesting!

Most of the pre-packaged ones are now called "fabric" quarters. I think this is their way around the fact that they tend to be a touch small. Our Joann's even has a disclaimer sign that basically says the measurements are approximate.

It been along time since I have seen fabric that was really 45 inches wide... but "fudging" on the 1/4 cut .. last I checked 18 inches is still 18 inches. ... maybe there is some "new" retail ruler .

Blog Entries
    Even though fabric width is 44-45 inch, that includes the selvedge so you lose up to an inch anyway. Someone has probably pointed that out to them at some time as being false advertising and this is the result. Have we really been getting usable 18 x 22 inch cuts? I will have to go check my older stash!

I understand the larger measurement varying some, as it's dependent on the width of the fabric. But the 18" measurement should stay the same!

When I buy fat quarters...I am generally planning on cutting into 2.5 inch strips. When fat quarter is 18 inches, as it should be, I can square up and get 7 strips.

I have seen this happening at LQS as well as Joanns. Our Walmart evidently does not plan to get yardage -- they currently just have a few of the precuts at full price,

Yes, I've noticed and my sugar isn't a 5 lb bag anymore either!!!

If you look at the printed end of some bolts you will see some of the yards are 35" not "36". Don't know what ruler they are using these days but it is not our standard "yardstick" anymore. I noticed the end of the bolts on my last trip to Mary Jo's in Gastonia because I was trying to make sure I was buying 100% cotton...

F Q's for $1.24 and $1.99? Holy cow -ours here are $2.79 and have been for quite some time.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast