Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
fat quarters - new size? >

fat quarters - new size?

fat quarters - new size?

Old 07-24-2011, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by FroggyinTexas
Originally Posted by suezq
At least I no wknow that I am not crazy, as I saw the same thing. JoAnn Fabrics is a real rip off some times, unless they are having a great sale, or you manage to accummulate the coupons at 40% off a regular priced item.
WalMart is now bringing back to their stores a very nice line of fabrics, qujilting notions, as well as all of the accessories, and a lot of the fabric I saw was the same as JoAnn's had for several dollars more.
You will send some of our quilting buddies into shock by saying something nice about WalMart fabric! I am about to fussy cut some for the BIG center of what will become a colorful log cabin quilt, but I am going to keep it a secret that I bought the material/fabric for $3.47 a yard online from WalMart. They have the same fabric in the store now and I bought another two yards last week! Oh, dear. Now I've blown my cover! I can hear the quilt police coming for me--a user of WalMart fabric/material! froggyintexas
i shop wallie world too as I have a limited budget right now. Washed it all first and have made a lovely top for my dd. saving up now to get it quilted. smile.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:07 PM

so sorry something wasn't working and I clicked too many times. senior moment....
Old 07-24-2011, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by gaevren
Originally Posted by Anna.425
I never buy fat quarters. If you do the math they are rarely more economical than purchasing a 1/4 of a yard.
I feel the same. I never buy fat quarters. I also tend to buy food in bulk whenever possible as well (and toilet paper, all those things we use all the time!) because the cost per unit is usually less. However, that's not always the case! I've noticed on some things I buy that the smaller-sized item is actually more economical (price per ounce or whatever) than the other way around...I wonder if it's because people have been taught for so long that buying bigger is cheaper? I carry a calculator everywhere!
Me, too. froggyintexas
Old 07-24-2011, 07:18 PM

You can put a little bit of oil, mayo and peanut butter works too, on the glue surface, work it in and wash it out. This will remove adhesives on most any surface.
OzarksGma
Old 07-24-2011, 07:24 PM

We noticed that a couple of years ago. The Fat quarters at Joanne's have been shorter and , yes, it makes it difficult to make patterns hat call for fat qts.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:17 PM

some of Marti Michelle patterns call for fat quarters that are based on 45" fabrics- now how long has it been since fabrics were usable at 45" so if cut in half a fat quarter is not 23"X 18 and that makes a difference, so again consumers beware, Thanks the the tip I had not noticed the difference.
I always feel like the value is shrinking on FQ seems to be so many of them because it;s never enough for the project,
but they are cute in baskets . . .
Old 07-24-2011, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by 0tis
What scares me is pretty soon a yard will be 34" or 35" not 36 - and the price will go up not down..
A yard has and always will be 36" If you are getting short measures you must speak up, we all must. Don't let them get away with theft which is what it is. If necessary report the store to the relevant authority.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:48 PM

Just like the size of stuff in the grocery store that is shrinking. (Not the price though).
Old 07-25-2011, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by lsoan1959
Originally Posted by wolfkitty
I don't like it when companies (fabric, food) change the amount without labeling the package (at least for food) or somehow letting you know that's what they are doing. As someone said, do they think we are stupid? Why don't they figure out that we just feel deceived and ripped off?
Agree. Potato chips used to be 16oz. Now 10.5oz for the same price.
Patato Chips are nothing but a bag of air...LOL
Old 07-25-2011, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by sandy l
[Also especially watch there fat quarters..... they have some of it with a different sticker which is hard to peel off. It has a silver sticky side and reminds me of superglue. Damn stuff stuck to my fingers just like super glue and also lost at least two fat quarters because I could not pull off the sticker. FQ's are also higher.....$1.45 each. We use to be able to buy those for less than a dollar.

Yeah, same thing happened to me. I lost 3 out of the dozen I bought, but they were only .75 cents each. Still irrating tho.
I soak those with the silver sticky side, and it seem to come off easier...