Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
fat quarters - new size? >

fat quarters - new size?

fat quarters - new size?

Old 07-24-2011, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by suezq
At least I no wknow that I am not crazy, as I saw the same thing. JoAnn Fabrics is a real rip off some times, unless they are having a great sale, or you manage to accummulate the coupons at 40% off a regular priced item.
WalMart is now bringing back to their stores a very nice line of fabrics, qujilting notions, as well as all of the accessories, and a lot of the fabric I saw was the same as JoAnn's had for several dollars more.
You will send some of our quilting buddies into shock by saying something nice about WalMart fabric! I am about to fussy cut some for the BIG center of what will become a colorful log cabin quilt, but I am going to keep it a secret that I bought the material/fabric for $3.47 a yard online from WalMart. They have the same fabric in the store now and I bought another two yards last week! Oh, dear. Now I've blown my cover! I can hear the quilt police coming for me--a user of WalMart fabric/material! froggyintexas
Old 07-24-2011, 02:39 PM

Guess fabric is going the way of food, reduce the amount (size) keep the price.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:02 PM

Buy 1/2 yd, cut in half for 2 FQs and trade with a friend.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:12 PM

I never buy fat quarters. If you do the math they are rarely more economical than purchasing a 1/4 of a yard.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:24 PM

Not too many fabrics are 44" anymore - more like 42" - thats why its 21".
Old 07-24-2011, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
The problem of the FQs being short on length (less than the full 18") - is that a problem with only the FQs sold at JoAnns? Or are you seeing it in the quilt-shop brands, too?

I don't mean FQs that shops cut themselves, I mean FQs that are cut by the manufacturers (Moda, Benartex, Hoffman, Kaufman...)

We haven't noticed any coming in short, but then we haven't actually checked them. I'm wondering if we should be running spot checks?
Yes, I bought Anthology Fabrics in they are listed on the box 18" x 22" - but when I measure them they are 17" x 21" - I measured a couple of them and they were all off.
Also, purchased some Westminster fat quarter bundle - at least its listed on the box as 17.5" x 21".
Finally, I bought some Walmart fat quarters - 17" x 21" so it seems like its becoming a standard... (new math???? )
Old 07-24-2011, 04:21 PM

Then they are not fat quarters. If it were metric, it would be a little bigger. Have you said anything to the store clerks, etc.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:29 PM

Just like cereal and ice cream among other things! I'm glad that I have a large stash as well. I have taken to shopping the mark down aisle at Joann's and the remnant bin where ever I go. Those are better than FQ and I have so much more variety for just a few pennies more!
Old 07-24-2011, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by sandy l
[Also especially watch there fat quarters..... they have some of it with a different sticker which is hard to peel off. It has a silver sticky side and reminds me of superglue. Damn stuff stuck to my fingers just like super glue and also lost at least two fat quarters because I could not pull off the sticker. FQ's are also higher.....$1.45 each. We use to be able to buy those for less than a dollar.

Yeah, same thing happened to me. I lost 3 out of the dozen I bought, but they were only .75 cents each. Still irrating tho.
I found something that is amazing at removing sticker glue on most surfaces, I wonder if it would work on most fabrics (the label says not for use on fine fabrics)? It is a product put out by Duck called Adhesive Remover. If you're going to have to toss the fabric, I'd say you've got nothing to lose by trying it!
Old 07-24-2011, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Anna.425
I never buy fat quarters. If you do the math they are rarely more economical than purchasing a 1/4 of a yard.
I feel the same. I never buy fat quarters. I also tend to buy food in bulk whenever possible as well (and toilet paper, all those things we use all the time!) because the cost per unit is usually less. However, that's not always the case! I've noticed on some things I buy that the smaller-sized item is actually more economical (price per ounce or whatever) than the other way around...I wonder if it's because people have been taught for so long that buying bigger is cheaper? I carry a calculator everywhere!