Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Favorite Large Ruler >

Favorite Large Ruler

Favorite Large Ruler

Old 10-13-2010, 04:20 AM

I love my fiskars rulers too, but I don't think thsy make them any more. Tried to find some to give to my daughter when she started quiltikng.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltswithConvicts
Can a quilter have too many rulers? My favorite of all is the 8 1/2" x 12" Omnigrip, followed by the 8 1/2" x 24" Omnigrip. Then comes my 6 1/2" sq., 9 1/2", 12 1/2" & a very old Quilter's Rule 16 1/2" square. They're kinda like measuring cups - you can't cook with just a 1/3 cup measure.
Thank you for giving me justification for having so many rulers. :lol: :lol:
Old 10-13-2010, 07:39 AM

While my 6"x24" and I are old, old friends, I was surprised to find that my 3"x12" is forever getting used for one thing or another. It is so very handy, travels well, is easy to read and great for trimming up those smaller pieces or cutting apart those assembly-lined pieces sewed to a strip.

Those would be my two strong recommendations: First the 6x24, then the 3x12.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Olivia's Grammy
Originally Posted by QuiltswithConvicts
Can a quilter have too many rulers? My favorite of all is the 8 1/2" x 12" Omnigrip, followed by the 8 1/2" x 24" Omnigrip. Then comes my 6 1/2" sq., 9 1/2", 12 1/2" & a very old Quilter's Rule 16 1/2" square. They're kinda like measuring cups - you can't cook with just a 1/3 cup measure.
Thank you for giving me justification for having so many rulers. :lol: :lol:
Oh, this is only the beginning of my list. I could keep lilsting for the rest of the week! :)
Old 10-13-2010, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Barbara Lee
I have a question. I have a pattern that calls for a 90 degree ruler for triangles. I hate buying special rulers as they can it spendy. Does anyone know of a way to get 90 degree angles with out a special ruler.
EZ (by Dritz I think) makes a couple of affordable triangle rulers with many sizes included. There is the Half square triangle called Easy Angle and the quarter square is called Companion Triangle. Both go up to 6" finished size. I got mine at WalMart.

A 90° angle is what a square is made from (90 x 4 = 360.) Are you needing half-square units or quarter square units? An all purpose 6 1/2" square ruler has a diagonal line that becomes the line on which you line up your strip and then cut a 45° angle.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:58 PM
Banned

When I started quilting about 10 years ago, I found a 6-1/2" x 24-1/2" ruler by Fiskars with a rotary blade attached to it, looked kind-of like a paper-cutter, but it was meant for quilting! Wal-Mart carried it in the quilting section. I had to have it!

I was a young Mom with four little kids at home and had come home one day to a parent's worst nightmare. I pulled in the driveway behind a police car and emergency vehicle, several neighbors on the front lawn, and the babysitter crying on the stairs. My then four-year-old son had a blood-stained towel wrapped around his hand. He had gotten into my sewing cabinet and tried to use my "round scissors" to try and open a package that came in the mail, but got his wrist instead. The babysitter had called 9-1-1 and told them that he had cut his wrist with a knife. Traumatic.

Needless to say, I fell in love with a ruler that enclosed the rotary blade, and that children (or Mommy) would never be apt to slip and slice a finger or a wrist!!

It has a rubber strip under the right edge where the blade mounts, and you push it with the palm of your hand. It has 30o, 45o and 60o angles marked on it, and uses the same blade as any standard rotary cutter. The rubber strip holds it in place so the ruler NEVER slips, and I NEVER feel strain on my left arm (fingers, elbow, shoulder) just to hold the ruler in place while I cut. I have several of these for teaching young kids, and have only been able to find them at my local Wal-Mart, not even online. They may even be discontinued. If you come across one, grab it!

My other favorite is a new one by Eleanor Burns, her Quilt In A Day "Triangle Square-Up Ruler" This one saves so much time making half or quarter-square triangles. Students in my Carpenter's Star class last week finished sewing and squaring up all their blocks in our three-hour class. Most of them had time to also lay out their quilts and label the rows so they would be ready to sew when they got home. It is a lifesaver. Here is a link:
http://www.quiltinaday.com/shoponlin...ay.asp?i=23736
and you can see her YouTube demo of the 6-1/2" ruler here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I-U_ZYcXH8
Attached Thumbnails attachment-105697.jpe   attachment-106132.jpe  
Old 10-14-2010, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
I think it really depends on the size block that you normally make. I have all different sizes that I use from 1.5 to 8.5 then 16.5 (basically used for squaring up). Is the question for squaring up your blocks or cutting out? If I'm cutting out its the June Tailor Shape n cut hands down. I do have one favorite that I'd die if I lost, its y 1x6, this is the handiest little ruler I have.
I agree. Have more rulers than I can count and more shapes than I'll probably ever use. 6-1/2 x 24 and 8-1/2 x 12 are favorites. Also like my two piece quilt as you go.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:00 AM

my favorite are the 6x12inch,24x61/2 inch and most of all my 41/2inch square . I do have a 12/12 inch square but have not got big enough space to use it unless I go to the kitchen to use it and that means taking the cutting mat too---to much hassle, so it stays in it's cubby bag.
Thank you for posting the quilt in a day rulers on youtube. It was very interesting.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:29 AM

I use 12.5 ruler a lot also. It is perfect for the carpentar's wheel block in the larger size block. The most used is my 6x24 hands down and then I would have to say 6.5 for squaring up. My I suggest b4 shopping for new sewing /quilting items ck to see if your town has a Tues. Morning store. I just purchased a june taylor sq up ruler there for very little $ less than coupon at Joanns. I hope this is alright to say? Please let me know if not. I have no connection to either store, but I surely wish I did. How cool would that be. Id be broke though, I would give too much away. LOL Blessings Deanna
Old 10-23-2010, 02:34 PM

I was gifted with Creative Grids 20 1/2" square at our guild meeting as a thank you for teaching a workshop on paper piecing. They were mostly beginners at paper piecing & some were beginners at quilting. I decided that they should learn with the Mariner's Compass - no challenge there! All of these wonderful ladies finished setting their compass in the setting square! They had a great time and loads of fun. I have used this ruler so much lately, it may just be my new fav!