Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Favorite Notions...

Quote Originally Posted by charismah
    This is funny because i think I take some things so much for granted.....that I didn't think a seem ripper or rotary cutter would be considered notions...because those are necessary?? :shock: Hehe...isn't it funny how that works....
    I guess those are my favorite!

Other than that...quarter inch foot......and my free motion foot....ummmm
    I think they count as notions, because where do you have to go to find them? You are correct ... sometimes, notions are the things we NEED to get the job done!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    My favorite is a wooden awl that my husband made by mistake while doing some woodworking. He was showing me some pieces he had made and I knew I need one and just what I needed it for. It comes in handy when I am pressing small pieces.
    I must admitt my most used notion is the seamripper.
    My granddaughter rook sewing in school this year. One day I asked her how she like seewing. Her answer--Gramma I am becoming best friends with the seam ripper.

Quote Originally Posted by zennia
    My favorite is a wooden awl that my husband made by mistake while doing some woodworking. He was showing me some pieces he had made and I knew I need one and just what I needed it for. It comes in handy when I am pressing small pieces.
    I must admitt my most used notion is the seamripper.
    My granddaughter rook sewing in school this year. One day I asked her how she like seewing. Her answer--Gramma I am becoming best friends with the seam ripper.
    LOL ... your granddaughter is going to be a GOOD sewing person!
    And, aren't you blessed??? She knows how to pick good friends!

Dix
    Blog Entries
    My favorite thing is any thing new the quilt shop has! i quilt with 18-20 lovely women and we do lots of road trips. About 5 of us are good, long time friends. We want what ever the other 3 or 4 just bought.
    Really the neatest thing and I did not see it mentioned on the messages, are the little hair clips to use when binding a quilt. They are so much easier to use than pins and don't get lost!

My 6x12 ruler and flat-handled seam rippers (so they don't roll away). On another MB, we did a poll about how many rulers and scissors we had - I was embarassed to admit having 34 rulers and 14 pair of scissors, but wasn't anywhere near the ones with the most!

Blog Entries
    My favorite notion is the one I haven't bought yet. My DH says if I don't have the latest sewing thing it's because I haven't seen it. He is so right. I'd have to say right now it's the Simplicity bias tape maker. Seam rippers are a very important tool in my sewing studio. I think I have every brand there is. Scissors, I love scissors, I have over 150 pairs they are in every room of the house.

My favorite notion is my June Taylor cutting ruler.

After sewing for approximately 40 years fighting with cheap scissors, I finally invested in good Gingher scissors - both a big pair and a small pair. Every time I pick up one of those scissors I feel a little 'thrill'. Okay, guess it doesn't take much to make me happy.

I love good marking pencils. Do presser feet count as notions? I love the presser feet.

Wow! Alot of you love your seam ripper? Not me-just means I messed up again!

Does a table top ironing board count as a notion? Means I never have to get up again!

Can't live without my Havel Snip-Eze scissors. They are a squeeze type clipper with curved blades.

GMA
    I love my radio in the room - but u have lots of great gadgets.

Blog Entries
    Sassy Sally sent me a nifty little wooden point turner/presser for Christmas that I simply adore! It means that I don't have to run to the iron with every seam, and the point turner works like a charm!

I love notions and have quite a collection. One of my absolute favourites is the "Purple Thang" which is about the size of a crochet hook but much more versatile. It has a perfect 1/4" square on one end, a slightly curved hook on the other to gently poke out corners and a slit to thread elastic or ribbon. It does all of this and more and sells for $3.75 in Canada. Another favourite is the Clover chalk markers (under $10)which make a great line and stay on long enough to quilt or write a label and still come off easily. I have them in yellow, pink and blue!

Blog Entries
    I probably have most of the notions on th market. Sooooooo my favorite is the one I don't have yet. Should be some new stuff at the Expo. I am kind of partial to rotarys. I have several different styles.

Blog Entries
    I'm like Olivia's Grammy!~ I have them all. My DD passes a quilt shop on her way to taking DGD to school everyday. She'll stop in and say what's new for my Momma to have and will buy me a new ruler, gadget or whatever. DGD thinks when she comes to my house she needs to bring a gift to Mamaw! Right now my new favorite gadget is the bias tape machine.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I'm like Olivia's Grammy!~ I have them all. My DD passes a quilt shop on her way to taking DGD to school everyday. She'll stop in and say what's new for my Momma to have and will buy me a new ruler, gadget or whatever. DGD thinks when she comes to my house she needs to bring a gift to Mamaw! Right now my new favorite gadget is the bias tape machine.
    Me too. I love the bais tape maker. Been making my own for years. This is quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    So you really like it and it's easy to use????? I've been looking at them...

Blog Entries
    Yes, it's very easy to use. You do still have to cut the strips. They (Joanns) have a lot of different size tips.

i agree the seam ripper which i have a few,my scissors and rotary cutters.

Blog Entries
    I finally invested in good Gingher scissors - both a big pair and a small pair. Every time I pick up one of those scissors I feel a little 'thrill'.
    I too love my Ginghers. I have two pair and kept them under lock and key when my kids were home. Now that it's just me and DH I still hide them. :wink:

I like my seam ripper to fix my goofs. Another handy llittle thing is my Bobbin Saver. Its that round ring that you store bobbins in. Not only does it hold my bobbins, the center is open and when sitting on the table, it make a great place to put a handful of peanut M & M's. They don't roll away or get on the fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by sdparent
    Mine would be my magnetic pin holder and my gingher snips. I have had my snips for years and they are the best.
    I would have to say the same.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2