Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
favorite quilt patterns for manly men? >

favorite quilt patterns for manly men?

favorite quilt patterns for manly men?

Old 10-19-2012, 07:38 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Elise 1 has a very nice quilt that would look wonderful in blues and greys like you want to use. You can use all different shades of blues and greys and it would come out great. Her quilt isn't really difficult like some quilts, and it's very attractive looking and modern styled. If it were me and I wanted to use those colors, I would go with her quilt. I like the modern non sex look of it.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
I am making a Tradewinds quilt for my hubby (link to free pattern below). I am using batiks, blues, greens, rusts, tans, browns. I thought I had a pic, but it must have been in my computer that died. It was very similar to the one in the pattern, but had more tans. It's very easy, just need to be sure to starch your fabric. I didn't use a packaged jelly roll; I cut my own out of yardage that I had. I was going to surprise him with it, but he came home when I was working on it, so I told him it was his...he loves it. Hoping to finish it for Christmas.

http://www.hoffmanfabrics.com/EDocs/...ern%20blue.pdf

Manly doesn't have to be limited to black or grey, sports or camouflage. Blues/Browns go together well, as do blues/greens, fall colors, etc. Batiks are great because there are a lot of earthy designs. I just avoid the flowery ones for guys. For regular fabric, there are a ton of different tonal or blender fabrics, landscape, geometric, solids, marbles, beer cans, muscle cars, motorcycles. The possibilities are endless!

Other patterns for guys: log cabin, bargello are the first to come to mind. Maybe something with larger pieces to show off larger prints.
Thanks for the link to the free pattern! It will be perfect for my second son.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:36 AM

What are your husband's interest? I've made an astronomy quilt for one of my sons who is fascinated by the that subject (I could have done an astronaut quilt for him too) and he was astounded that it was so obviously made just for him! Another lives in Alaska and so he got a camping hunter quilt and another with a local bear native motif (which won a first prize for original wall art... and it was 8'x6'!) Another is into fantasy and I found some wonderful designs on two different fabrics and he got dragons, Merlins, and weird half cattle figures, etc. My DH just got his first quilt this past year and it is a desert scene (he loves the Sonora) and because it turned out too heavy for the bed he put it up on the wall and I'm making him a quilt using Navajo mimbas (pictorgraphy) because he worked with Indian tribes while in Arizona, long before I met him. My 14 year old Gson asked for an "around the world" animals quilt... and he wanted a map of the world with the animals on or near the country they belong to! DH counted and told me there were 172 appiiques on that quilt!!!! But the boy was going to South Africa as an exchange student and whatever he wanted he got! Wherever the interest lies.... Sports? Cars? Music? I don't dumb down the colors because so many men are at least partially color blind. I don't use pinks or lavenders (unless it is appropriate for the receiver and he wants them), but I use rich browns, yellows, greens, blues.... whatever fits.

Hope this helps. I bet that no matter what you make he will be thrilled because he must have some sense of how much work it takes to make a quilt. If it touches his interest that will touch his heart too.

Last edited by Sierra; 10-19-2012 at 09:38 AM.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:23 PM

There should be something about the quilt that your brother can tell it was made for him, and not his name on it , and that it isn't a quilt for just any man - or worse, any woman who doesn't like frilly, feminine things. He should be able to look at it and say, This tells me it was made for me, not your husband, or son or the man across the street. It should be that personal. In fact, if he doesn't like it, some other man might say, oh, it was too personalized for your brother. It doesn't fit my personality. Then you know it is your brother's quilt.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:35 PM

I'm currently working on a quilt for dear son-in-law. I'm using the Eleanor Burns "Summer Porch" pattern. It is being done in mostly (95%) batiks. The sashings are a cream w/white circles and the binding will be an orange/yellow print. Lots of geometric prints, nothing flowery here. Some purple, green, blue, red and orange are in the batiks.
I think a manly quilt just shouldn't have flowers in it and nothing pastel. It doesn't have to be black, browns and grays.
kathyd
Old 10-19-2012, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Jo C View Post
Have you looked "Geared for Guys"? Great book...not outsdoorsy. My faveorite one is "Oddball"
i agree i would suggest geared for guyz too nice one
Old 10-19-2012, 07:10 PM

vote for elise 1
Old 10-20-2012, 12:42 AM

Love the Colors in the Pictures on reply #7 and #9.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:35 AM
QM
Power Poster

My DH loves his NY Beaty quit, but not everyone would. I made my son a bearpaw quilt and one for a friend. a center of a Mariner's Compass is a sure hit too. When I was doing a lot of auction quilts, what brought in the most money was combinations of stars and animal prints. I've made stars forthe DGSs.
Attached Thumbnails julias-maple-leaf-s.jpg   001-4-.jpg   jacks-star-s.jpg   fair02-080.jpg   t-81.jpg  

bear-mt-mainly-quilted.jpg  
Old 10-20-2012, 04:14 AM

Magic squares pattern is nice.