Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Favorite quilting book?

Vat
    I agree, that is my favorite. Use it all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by sewcrafty
    Fons and Porter "Complete Guide to Quilting". My very first book ever purchased many years ago and still a great go to.

I have several out of my Thimbleberries books by Lynette Jensen and lots of ones our of Debbie Mumm books.

community benefactor stitchofclass2's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boopers
    The book "It's OK to sit on my quilt", by Mary Ellen Hopkins.
    Don't you just love her? Have you seen her on "Simply Quilts"? She is a stitch. I have her books too.

Question: is the Complete Guide to Quilting the same as Quilter's Complete Guide?

Quote Originally Posted by Quilter7x
    501 quilt blocks is my favorite book. :)

I am making the backing using pieced letters and I learned how to make all the letters in that book. How can you go wrong with a book that shows you how to make 501 quilt blocks!
    That is also my favorite. I have used it for years. Everytime I look through it I see something different.

I love the "encyclopedia of basic quilts"

This is one I use frequently. Then I have a "quilt book that isn't very good but it was my Mom's and I would not ever get rid of this one. It is sorta like my Mom's cookbook.

Fons and Porter "Complete Guide to Quilting". My very first book ever purchased many years ago and still a great go to.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-106333-1.htm
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-82314-1.htm
    Here are some recent links from this board. There are many more if you type "favorite quilting book" into the search blank. Fun to read.

Senior Member Quilter Day-by-Day's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Better Home and Gardens Complete Guide to Quilting, is the book I started with and still go to. I'm self taught it really helps.

I have several books, but don't know if any would be my favorite. I do get books from the local library & love so many of them. I get alot of ideas from them & the best thin is, I don't have to pay a cent for them.

Mine too. It's my "Go To" book.

Any of Eleanot Burns Books from Quilt in a Day! I just told someone this! Her books are easy for everyone!

Any of Eleanor Burns Books from Quilt in a Day! I just told someone this! Her books are easy for everyone!

Blog Entries
    Yes this was one of my first books and used the most.

Blog Entries
    This week-Quilters Recipe Book by Celia Eddy -- last week Best of the Best Quilts by Leslie Beck and I haven"t decided about next week :-P The library is the best place to spend the day the copy machine is right there and at 10cents a page I save a fortune :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    "All About Machine Arts" - Decorative Techniques from A to Z from Sew News, Creative Machine Embroidery and C&T Publishing. It is the "BOMB"! Lessons for Beading, boobinwork couching, crazy quilt stitching, enbroidery, eyelets, free-motion quilting, pintucks, presser feet, quilting, ribbonwork, satin stitching, trapunto, tucks and lots more. I just love it and use it all the time as a reference.

Also enjoy anything by Harriet Hargrave; she's an awsome instructor.

Josi in Sebring FL

Quote Originally Posted by Boopers
    The book "It's OK to sit on my quilt", by Mary Ellen Hopkins.
    The title makes me really want to check this one out!

Nickle quilts. I've made some out of there and they are all great. :thumbup:

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Oh my. What a decision. First would be my 501 blocks book and then I bought more similar to it. I would think any of my wondrful books is a treasure. And read each from cover to cover so you know what's in each book. I keep all my magazines in binder in date order and have a list at the front of special articles and such. I can find a book and date when someone needs it. AndI can sit and read any time I need some time out for myself. Fun to see what everyone else's replies are.

UHMMM -- that's a hard one to decide on a favourite book. One I use a lot is "Quilting from start to finish" by Katherine Guerrier. I also really like a brilliant magazine by Quiltmaker called 100 Blocks. Volumes one and two are published and number three is due out end of April. They are very good.
    I have a few Debbie Mumm and Eleanor Burns books and I love Brenda Papadakis, Dear Jane and Dear Hannah. Also Jennifer Chiaverini Sylvia's Bridal Sampler. Oh gosh this list is getting rather long - better stop !!

My favorite quilting book is 101 favorite quilt patterns by Ruby Short McKim

lbc
    Better Homes and Gardens Complete Guide to Quilting

I never see Georgia Bonesteel mentioned - her Lap Quilting was the first book I ever purchased. Still my favorite.

georgia bonesteels very first book lap quilting i learned all my basics from that book

I could never narrow it down to one, but I love all my scrap quilt books (and I have many!) I find myself looking through them over and over and marking lots of pages. Also, the Joy of Quilting has a bunch of post-it-notes marking quilts I like. Ohh, when will I ever find enough time to make all of the quilts I have marked?????

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast