Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Favorite Scrap pattern >

Favorite Scrap pattern

Favorite Scrap pattern

Old 02-24-2014, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by aborning View Post
My favorite is "Scrappy trips" by BOnnie Hunter at quiltville.com. I am making one right now.
I love Scrappy Trips! The 2 1/2 in strip bin takes a HIT! I saw one in bright batiks. OMGoodness! I am working on a batik quilt and I think I will cut strips out of the leftovers. Homemade kit!

If i have crumbs to use, I like Mile a minute. Mindless once you get started...and you can eat up scraps.
http://quiltingisstillmypassion.blog...-tutorial.html
Old 02-24-2014, 07:36 AM

Most of my quilts are scrappy and I usually plan 3 or 4 patterns and start stashing scraps for them. Right now I'm collecting 1 1/2 in strips for two different Log Cabins (one bright, one not); 7" and 3 1/2" squares for snowballs; 5" squares for whatever "charm" pattern strikes my fancy. Of course, I also have strips for strip-pieced blocks which always use up a lot of fabric. I agree that 2" squares use up a lot of scraps. I just posted a scrappy Many Trips Around the World which is one of my favorites. Also just posted a scrappy X's and O's that uses a lot of 5" squares.

I also like this one...I used a pattern called Dazzling Scraps from an issue of Quilt magazine a couple of years ago (designed by Paula Barnes). I've seen similar patterns elsewhere. It used a ton of scraps. This photo shows it on my king-size bed and I'll be adding at least 2 more scrappy borders to make it big enough. (Sorry the pic is so big!)

Anita
Attached Thumbnails star-quilt-progress-small.jpg  
Old 02-24-2014, 09:35 PM

I made this quilt entirely from scraps, although I nearly had to break down and buy some lights (I tend to collect dark fabrics). [ATTACH=CONFIG]464388[/ATTACH]

Here's a link for the pattern. http://www.quilterscache.com/D/DepressionBlock.html

Please note: The diamonds show up WAY better and far more pleasing if on a bed that has northern or eastern light. I honestly wasn't too pleased with it until I put it on my mother's bed. She loves it. It is a thick quilt that is tied (wool ties).

A lot depends on what your collection of fabric contains. I have an entire box of fat quarters consisting of novelty fabrics. I'm trying to decide on a quilt pattern that will use these well, yet USE UP the fabric! In other words, I only need to buy a small amount of background fabric.

Another suggestion is a log cabin. Consider using templates if you are using up a lot of odd sized pieces. Otherwise, 2 inch or 2.5 inch strips can either be precut or sewn in strips a la Eleanor Burns' method.
Attached Thumbnails 147468413.jpg  

Last edited by IAmCatOwned; 02-24-2014 at 09:42 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:52 PM
Power Poster

All the scrappy quilts posted here are wonderful and it shows how a SQ can be very organized or very care free and all look great.

You are all marvelous!
Old 02-25-2014, 03:12 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Yikes.. depends on the sizes your working with...

Strips - wonky log cabins and strip quilts
Sqs- theres soooo many patterns..
bits and pieces- crumb quilt...
Old 02-27-2014, 08:18 AM

I just started to quilt using scrap and made a couple of postage stamp star quilts. It takes 32 separate fabrics for the inside block and they are 1 1/2 inch each. That used up a lot of my smaller pieces and I have a shoe box full of squares for the next time.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:26 AM

all of these pictured sbove are winderful