Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Favorite Tip or Helpful Hint >

Favorite Tip or Helpful Hint

Favorite Tip or Helpful Hint

Old 08-09-2010, 12:56 PM

Thanks for this thread. There are some awesome tips here.
I like the "old fashion" tips that are still beings used today.
:thumbup:
Old 08-09-2010, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mousie
Originally Posted by BRenea
When you're at the sewing machine, pin a scrap of cotton batting (I use a safety pin so I don't get poked) to the shoulder of your shirt. As you snip threads, just stick them on the batting scrap. When a lot of thread accumulates, just throw it away. Just don't forget to take it off when you're done...I once met someone at the door wearing mine! :D
I save all scraps and thread cuttings...so after using this tip, toss in a bag and keep for stuffing pillows etc.

LOL, renea, I bet they thought your 'pin' was creative! :lol:
About a month ago, I had an allergy appt. and while talking to him, I happened to notice a baby diaper pin on the sleeve of my long sleeved shirt.
I was shocked, so blurted out, "I have a safety pin on my shirt!"
I had forgotten that I put it there to mark for cutting. Was preparing to shorten sleeves. Doc said, "Leave it there!"
Smart man :XD:
I once had a knee x-ray done with the hem of my skirt pulled up just over the knee....and there on the x-ray was the little safety pin holding up the hem of the skirt. On the x-ray it looked like it was in the leg bone! The doc got a good laugh out of that one!
Old 08-09-2010, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Crickett Sweet
I just spent a week at Quilting By The Lake in class with Anita Grossman Solomon - great class and great time. My question is "Where the heck do I find liquid starch?" I checked my two local grocery chains, Walmart and Target and can't find it anywhere. Checked on line and they want a ridiculous price for it and shipping on top of that?
I found some "Sta-flo" liquid starch at Wal-Mart, which also has starch in aerosol cans. I have a recipe for using the Sta-flo and water to make a kinder, gentler starch. I've made it but I've not used it yet!
Old 08-09-2010, 02:28 PM

Something that should be in everybody's sewing room is a MAGNET to pick up pins when they get spilled. Very helpful.
Love this Quilting Board. Just like sitting around talking with a group of friends.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by SweetRosie
Something that should be in everybody's sewing room is a MAGNET to pick up pins when they get spilled. Very helpful.
Love this Quilting Board. Just like sitting around talking with a group of friends.
Which reminds me, magnetic auto parts dishes are great for corralling pins, needles, feet and anything else metal. wayyyyyy cheaper than those pretty little magnetic pin holders....
Old 08-09-2010, 03:13 PM

I Like this!!!!
Originally Posted by Queen
Originally Posted by nana pat
but what do you do with the food when you make room for the fabric in the freezer?
You are supposed to put food in the freezer?

Another hint, put a layer of heavy duty foil under your ironing pad and ironing is so much easier.

Mary
Old 08-09-2010, 03:49 PM

When I was a child, clothes that were 100% cotton and needed ironing were put in the refrigerator or freezer and were much easier to iron
Old 08-09-2010, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Twilliebee
Hi, seems there are lots of tips and tricks to be found online. Just wondering if anyone has a favorite they'd like to share.
I just learned one from an Anita Solomon Grossman book which she uses when starching large quantities of fabric. I rarely startch, but I love this tip: partially dry your fabric and throw it in the fridge or better yet the freezer. Iron when you have time. Something about the coldness of the fabric makes it iron even smoother. Don't know why, but it sure works, especially when I don't have time to iron and don't want the fabric to get too dry or go sour.
when i was a little girl i remember the lady next door would go to her freezer and take out her husbands dress shirts and iron them !! i was always amazed at seeing her do this but the shirts looked great when she was done
Old 08-09-2010, 04:50 PM

i have seen several "Wand" type magnets and all they did was pick up pins and needles on the end of the wand . SO I got me some magnetic tape and it had a sticky back and put it on the underside of a spatula. bend the stem to suit your self and tada you can pick up tons of pins and needles at once :)
Old 08-09-2010, 04:50 PM

I never could thread the machine needle easily, so
many years ago started putting a slash of White-Out
on the foot, so it would show the needle hole when
trying to stick the thread through it. Or a dollop of plain
white paint on a Q tip.

Or on a friend's machine I hold a strip of white paper
behind it, works nicely that way too.