Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Favorite Tip or Helpful Hint >

Favorite Tip or Helpful Hint

Favorite Tip or Helpful Hint

Old 08-09-2010, 04:54 PM

ditto!
Old 08-09-2010, 05:01 PM

You people who used to iron....do you remember ironing just the front of the shirt when you were wearing a jacket or sweater? And not ironing the tails that would be tucked in? Surely I'm not the only one to do this![/quote]
----------------------------
You forgot ironing just the cuffs of a shirt worn with a sweater or
jacket when in a mad rush and no time to do any sort of ironing.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:10 PM

My Dad was in World War II and when he was in the army his pay was sent home to his mother and he did ironing to earn his spending money. Sometimes he would put the "Army " crease in his work shirts. He taught me to do it for him sometimes also. He would have been 89 on the 7th this brought me an old memory.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:35 PM

Here are a few of my tips:
- tape a coffee filter on table to hold threads
- prescription bottle beside machine to hold broken needles & pins
- magnetic auto parts dish holds my pins
- glue a magnet on the end of dowel rod to pick up dropped pins or needles
- when threading needle, wet needle hole instead of thread (thread expands when wet making it harder to thread)

Those are just a few that I can think of right now. I remember my mom rolling her sleeveless blouses in a plastic bag & putting them in the bottom drawer of the fridge. That was her designated ironing drawer.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:01 PM

You vbet I do!!!! I still have my moms!!!! and sometimes i use it!
Originally Posted by alaskasunshine
I remember my Mom used a beer bottle with an aluminium top that had a sprinkler tip on it. She would shake it and water would sprinkle on the clothing. She used to iron my Dad's uniforms for the Army. I have always loved to iron!. Oh how I wish I could find the tip she used. Does anyone know what I am thinking of? :?
Old 08-09-2010, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by hobo2000
When I was a kid back in the 40's, my grandmother would sprinkle the clothes and roll them tightly. If she couldn't
get to the ironing the next morning she would store them in an old refrigerator in the basement until she could get around to ironing.
My Mother did the same with her starched clothes. Rolled theem up and put in refrigerator. till she could iron them.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by pbreon
I remember my Mom used a beer bottle with an aluminium top that had a sprinkler tip on it. She would shake it and water would sprinkle on the clothing. She used to iron my Dad's uniforms for the Army. I have always loved to iron!. Oh how I wish I could find the tip she used. Does anyone know what I am thinking of? :?
Does any one have one of these that they are willing to part with? I would pay a reasonable sum plus shipping. PM me
Old 08-09-2010, 06:33 PM

Do you know I still have the old "sprinkler botter" my mother and grandmother used. It had a cork stopper which is still pretty much intact. Wouldn't part with that for the world. Mum used to put her dampened clothes in the fridge also. Reading this blog sure brought back some memories. Our white blouses could stand up by themselves, they had so much starch in them.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by seabolt22
Originally Posted by pbreon
Does any one have one of these that they are willing to part with? I would pay a reasonable sum plus shipping. PM me
I did an eBay search for these recently and there were several to choose from. (I have an old house and a newly-redone-vintage-looking laundry room, so I need these things!)
Old 08-09-2010, 06:53 PM

Mom used a Coke bottle with the aluminum sprinkler stuck in the mouth of the bottle. I have that thing around here somewhere. I remember Mom asking what I want that old thing for anyhow. And she had pants stretchers too. Medival torture devices if as a kid you ran in to them!! And the ringer washer - I don't know how many times I ran my hand thru the wringer with a bunch of clothes. But we had an electric dryer when the 5th baby came along. Us kids thought we were living high on the hog then!![/quote]

It's fun sharing memories :) I remember pants stretchers, and clothes hung all over her house. I used to be afraid of the farmers overalls that she would bring in from the line freeze-dried! I'm sure there are a lot of us who remember what a chore it was to keep house fifty years ago :)