Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Favorite way to make HST? >

Favorite way to make HST?

Favorite way to make HST?

Old 06-14-2010, 09:34 PM

I have a Triangulations CD which makes half squares and Quarter Squares. I print in on foundation piecing paper and you can do any size you want. It has a page where it tells you what size you need to make a certin finished size. It is a grid pattern. I don't use this pattern for the larger sizes as it will only do one or two per page and if you doing that large a half square it is easier to use one of the other methods listed above.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by quilting.addict
Could you tell me your favorite method of making a HST? I have seen a new (to Me) method where you sew strips of fabric into a tube///???? anyone do this?? then there's the cut two squares and sew and cut diagonally. I would never even consider cutting a triangles and trying to sew those bias seams together..Just looking for ideas before I copy Ranger's avatar quilt.
Forgive an ignoramus ------what is HST?
Old 06-15-2010, 12:29 AM

It's a common abbreviation for Half Square Triangle.
Originally Posted by mayday
Originally Posted by quilting.addict
Could you tell me your favorite method of making a HST? I have seen a new (to Me) method where you sew strips of fabric into a tube///???? anyone do this?? then there's the cut two squares and sew and cut diagonally. I would never even consider cutting a triangles and trying to sew those bias seams together..Just looking for ideas before I copy Ranger's avatar quilt.
Forgive an ignoramus ------what is HST?
Old 06-15-2010, 04:26 AM

Location: Originally from NY, now retired in Argentina. Miss the USA!!! :-(

Originally Posted by amma
There is another method where you sew the 2 squares of fabric together around all 4 edges and then cut the sewn blocks into 1/2 squares. I know I just watched the video but can't remember where now :roll: :oops: Maybe the Missouri Quilt Co?
That is where the tut for doing the HST's Amma. What a great tut and great, quick method to make them. It is still in my head and I want to do a quilt using this method.
Here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekYpJzHoW6E
Old 06-15-2010, 09:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by pennyswings
There is another method where you sew the 2 squares of fabric together around all 4 edges and then cut the sewn blocks into 1/2 squares. I know I just watched the video but can't remember where now :roll: :oops: Maybe the Missouri Quilt Co?
That is where the tut for doing the HST's Amma. What a great tut and great, quick method to make them. It is still in my head and I want to do a quilt using this method.
Here is the link:

this and oher link so good------thanks
Old 06-15-2010, 09:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by pennyswings
Here is the link:

this and oher link so good------thanks
Old 06-15-2010, 09:28 AM

This is my favorite way but I always make them bigger and trim to size. Takes a lot more work but get accurate square half squares!
Originally Posted by cminor
I like the sew 1/4 inch on each side of the diaganal line you draw from corner to corner. I'm not good with the math needed, but it works for me!
Old 06-15-2010, 02:21 PM

Just a thought... Omnigrid makes rulers that are 1/2" wide. Line the diagonal up with your corners - draw a line on each side - and there are your sewing lines. It's really easy and a great project for in front of the TV. I've done single squares, bias squares, and grid squares. No cutting triangles for me! I prefer using SOG squares. Try them all. You'll find the one you like best.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:22 PM

Oh - and anytime you want to cut triangles just add 7/8" to the finished size.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:51 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cwessel47
Oh - and anytime you want to cut triangles just add 7/8" to the finished size.
If you use the 7/8" rule it is VERY important to sew a scant 1/4" or your HSTs may come up short. (That's why many of us add 1" and trim to size)