Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are Feathers Over Done? >

Are Feathers Over Done?

Are Feathers Over Done?

Old 09-13-2011, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by k3n
Originally Posted by doowopddbop
Wow, don't you love how passionate we quilters are??? We all love our craft - and we all love our quilts.

As a longarm quilter, I use feathers occasionally. It took a few years of testing and trying to get just the look I wanted without too much quilting; the overquilting and double stitching and bump-back and double stems/filled stems is just not to my taste. I've found the technique I like now, and have used it on a couple of quilts with lots of open space. I chalk the spine but don't stitch it, and I leave a small space between the feathers.

My husband requested feathers for his own quilt that my girls and I made for him, and it suits the quilt perfectly. He loves it--enough said. I also used it in my tree skirt, because, frankly, I liked the look, and couldn't figure out how to quilt holly leaves and make it look as nice. http://www.quiltscapesquilting.com/patterns

Shivers go up and down my spine when a client asks me to do an overall pattern on applique' quilts, or motifs - I talk them out of it... The quilting is just there to add texture and bring the design of the quilt to life. If someone tells me to quilt it however I want to, I take clues from the design of the quilt, how it will be used, who it is for, and then I let the fabric and the quilt speak to me. (I hear quilts...)

So, at the risk of being shunned...
Well I for one won't shun you Deonn - those are fabulous, especially the Carpenter's Star. Thank you for showing how beautiful and fairly dense FMQ feathers can be used on a snuggly quilt. Beauty and usefulness in perfect harmony. :-D
I love feathers and yours are spectacular .... it really adds to the beauty!
Old 09-13-2011, 08:43 PM

I think everybody has thier own taste in how they like thier quilts , quilted. However I've seen some quilts that the LAQ took over the quilt, cuz the quilting was just gorgeous & the beautiful piecing just dissappeared in the shuffle.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:10 PM

[quote=QuiltE]Cheese?
NO ONE has mentioned cheese atop their chili.
NOT ONE SOUL!

geeeeesh!
I'll have mine with cheese ... .and you can make whatever mixture of beef, ground and beans. Just DON"T FORGET THE CHEESE!!!!!!!!!!

My DGD made chili for me once and brought some nice sharp cheddar to grate over top of it. Spectacular!
Old 09-13-2011, 11:14 PM

I agree feathers seem to be a bit over used on a lot of quilts that LAQ's are doing and it does detract from certain quilts designs.

On the subject of over quilting on tops I like to see some unquilted areas roo. I understand that certain show quilts are supposed to be heavily quilted and I have seen some that are gorgeous but they do loose their cuddle factor when they are over quilted.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
Cheese?
NOT ONE SOUL!

geeeeesh!
I'll have mine with cheese ... .and you can make whatever mixture of beef, ground and beans. Just DON"T FORGET THE CHEESE!!!!!!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Well, that is because cheese is a given. You can't eat chilli without cheese or at the very least a grilled cheese sandwich!! lol
Old 09-14-2011, 04:17 AM
Power Poster

[quote=watson's mom]
Originally Posted by QuiltE
Cheese?
NOT ONE SOUL!

geeeeesh!

My DGD made chili for me once and brought some nice sharp cheddar to grate over top of it. Spectacular!
Absolutely!!!
The Little Blue Cow knows her stuff, doesn't she? :)
Old 09-14-2011, 04:33 AM
Power Poster

LOL...and now the add on the bottom of my screen is a FREE coupon from......Chili's!!! LOL!
Old 09-14-2011, 08:03 AM

yes, I agree.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:10 AM
Power Poster

Did not read all 20 pages, but if we are putting feathers on chilli (with or without cheese) they are overdone. lol
Old 09-14-2011, 09:00 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Did not read all 20 pages, but if we are putting feathers on chilli (with or without cheese) they are overdone. lol
Oh not when there's cheeeeeeeeese!!!!!!!! :thumbup: