Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Featherweght?

Yes it is! hope it there! :thumbup:

What a buy! I'm looking for a Featherweight. I love these old machines. I have 2 Singer 201-2's, a Singer 301-a and a Necchi Bu Supernova...love them all! Hope you get the machine!

I am jealous. I hope you get it!

oh I dream of finding one! Get it! Get it!

Be there when the store opens. What a buy I hope you get it.

Can't wait to see if you get it!!!

Yes it is a featherweight, a friend has two of these, she will leave them to her daughters someday. Right now she just uses them both.

I had one like that but gave it to my niece. I have a black one I wouldn't part with. The cream/white ones aren't worth as much as the black singer's. My sewing machine repair man said the white ones have a belt that can't be replaced if it breaks. The machine it made in a way that you can't get to the belt. It's still a good deal!

It's an awesome deal. Grab it! Congratulations from a person green with envy!!! Ah, I take back the envy part..........I'm very happy to see someone get such a lovely item at a great price! And depending where you are, the cream ones are more highly prized than the black....individual areas, individual opinions I guess. Enjoy! And post a bunch of pictures!

depends on if it runs. have him take it out and plug it in and see if it runs. then after he buys it, take it in for a cleaning, or do it yourself. there is probably a book with instructions on how to clean it. i do my own. ( no caps,, i had thumb surgery on monday)

I belong to a Yahoo Group called Vintage Singers...you can get all kinds of info on vintage Singer sewing Machines, download some of the manuals, learn how to repair/clean them, etc.

i googled featherweight sewing machines and found three that are going for about 300-400 dollars. these machines are from europe. that being said, they are wonderful machines. a friend has one that has a greenish cast of white, and it sews like a dream. have your son haggle a bit, he just might get it cheaper yet. obviously the seller has no idea what he has.

This is a featherweight!!!!Be there at dawn for that price. Let us know the outcome!!! Be Happy with the 99. I have one permanently set up at my house. I was sewing on mine this weekend. I have taught a ton of girl scouts using this machine. In the 35 years I have had it, I have never had to have it "tuned up".. I clean it about twice a year whether it needs it or not.

Blog Entries
    I would love a cream one...very hard to find...right lostn51

Blog Entries
    I have a tan/green FW. My was made in Scotland in 1964. It works like a charm. I always get any old machine serviced as soon as I get it. Just the setting for years with out use makes them stiff and dried out. Hope you get there in time tomorrow. Let us know.

Okay I've asked before but I'm still confused. How do you know what is a featherweight. Is there a website with pictures of featherweight models or how do you know? I know it refers to the weight but how do you know by her picture of either machine they are featherweights or am I just not getting it???? Very new here.

Leamelon. Atl

Agreat buy but a newer version....-i have the other model in the second photo....ocassionally I pull it out for straight stitching. What a good son

Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Quote Originally Posted by craftybear
    get up early and be waiting for them when they open up, I hope you get it
    Thats what I am saying I would be sitting in the parking lot 30 minutes before they opened!! It looks like the tan one from what I can tell and if it is it would be closer to the $1000 mark.

Billy
    I agree with Billy, I would be there waiting for them to open...She looks really pretty.

Blog Entries
    If I lived closer
    I would try to beat you to the shop.
    J J

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lnlwhitt
    Okay I've asked before but I'm still confused. How do you know what is a featherweight. Is there a website with pictures of featherweight models or how do you know? I know it refers to the weight but how do you know by her picture of either machine they are featherweights or am I just not getting it???? Very new here.
    If you Google featherweight sewing machine and then click on "images", you will get tons of photos of the featherweight machines.

The distinctive feature on the most common model (the 221) is that the bed on the left side of the machine is hinged and can be flipped up for storage (as in the photo of the machine). The model 222 featherweight (worth *tons* of money because they are so much more rare) has a removeable bed that turns the machine into a free-arm.

Featherweight machines are almost never sold in a cabinet like the machine in the second photo. They are almost always sold just by themselves (they are a standalone machine) or in their distinctive boxy carrying case (aS in the first picture). Featherweight tables were manufactured but are hard to find.

It is indeed a Featherweight and the cream colored ones are worth more to some than the black ones, because there were fewer of them.

Son is sweetheart to get you the 99 and it's a good machine but for $50 for a FW? Better run....not walk back to that place and get it! Good luck !!

to Inlwhich...the fw is small and comes in a carry case with an short portion of the flatbed that has hingedplate which folds up on one side by the needle area. Does this make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by MaryStoaks
    It's a white/celery or a tan featherweight. I have one of each. Buy it fast!
    That is a tan featherweight! I have one. The bobbin winder looks a little different on the tan ones. Buy it quick! I love mine.
    Sharon

Yes when I googled it and saw the fold up hingeplate that helped me to realize the difference. Thanks!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast