Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Featherweight nighmare now a dream

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee in Texas
    You're not stupid! You asked for help, that is not stupid - that is smart enough to know you needed help and you knew where to ask for it!! That is smart! :>) Stupid would have been to not ask,continue to struggle with it possible damaging the machine or not ever using it!
    Also, please correct your bad report of the seller on E-Bay. The seller DID call you AND HELPED you with your problem! :>) Not everybody can answer e-mail instantly. I myself may go days before I look at my computer/e-mail, etc.
    I did correct the report on EBay as soon as the machine was able to sew because I wouldn't want anyone putting in a report on me if I'd solved the problem.

"Days without looking at my computer/email". How do you do it? I'm totally lost without my connection to the outside world.

I am so glad to hear that this had a happy ending.

Washington State summer, Sun City AZ winter
    Quote Originally Posted by mypatookis
    Another good book for FWs is by David McCallum. It is called The Featherweight 221 and I. He also has a DVD. It is all about knowing and maintaining your FW. It is SO thorough! He has a website at featherweight221.com He also has parts and accessories.
    I think the book is awesome. I haven't watched the DVD yet, but I've only had my FW for about a month now. I was told I should give her a name... so I did. I named her "Jeanie", after my Mom, Jean, and because she helps make my wishes come true. :-D
    Happy quilting!
    I also have his book and DVDs. They are wonderful resources if you need help with your Featherweight. I've also ordered parts from Dave and another site--www.221parts.com. Enjoy your Featherweight.

Blog Entries
    Put the needle in the RIGHT way :-(

I was told I should give her a name... so I did. I named her "Jeanie", after my Mom, Jean, and because she helps make my wishes come true. :-D
    Happy quilting!
    I have a couple of Featherweights that I just got off of Ebay. Cleaning them up, etc. right now.. just got David Mccallums book and DVD yesterday..
    BUT.. I should name my FWs? That may be the most difficult part of owning one! It usually takes me several weeks just to find the true name for any new dog or cat I get! :oops: And I used to name my vehicles, but my last few cars never did get named. I don't think they ever deserved a name...:hunf:
    For now.. the FWs are nameless until they "speak" to me and tell me their names.. :shock:

Hahaha... I understand. I was surprised when I found out I should name my FW. But the name came to me right away, so I figured it was perfect! My cars have never had names... except ones I can't say here. :shock:
    Nice to see fellow Washingtonians here. :D I live in Belfair, and sometimes it feels like the most remote place on earth! Thank goodness for my quilt club in Hoodsport. :thumbup: :thumbup:
    Enjoy the nice weather while we have it!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluelady
    I was told I should give her a name... so I did. I named her "Jeanie", after my Mom, Jean, and because she helps make my wishes come true. :-D
    Happy quilting!
    I have a couple of Featherweights that I just got off of Ebay. Cleaning them up, etc. right now.. just got David Mccallums book and DVD yesterday..
    BUT.. I should name my FWs? That may be the most difficult part of owning one! It usually takes me several weeks just to find the true name for any new dog or cat I get! :oops: And I used to name my vehicles, but my last few cars never did get named. I don't think they ever deserved a name...:hunf:
    For now.. the FWs are nameless until they "speak" to me and tell me their names.. :shock:
    Oh... forgot to mention... Congrats on your new FWs! I think you will love the book. I have to find time to sit down for a bit and watch the DVD... gee... could do that instead of being online, huh? 8-) Anyway...

I also won my featherweight off of e-bay and i was so exited to get her. When I first got it it sewed okay and it looks sooo good, even the case, but I took the bobbin case out and cleaned it and put a new needle in and husband oiled it for me and when I put it back I couldn't sew but just a few inches and the thread kept breaking. I was getting pretty frustrated and I went online and got a lot of info re: f/w's. I put it back in the case and went on a trip and just got back. Tried it this morning and took out the bobbin case again and made sure that little finger thingy was where it should be, and guess what? It fixed it. I was so happy about it. I named her "Baby" because I thought she was just about one of the sweetest little things I had ever seen. She is a white/greenish 221k and I can't wait to make a quilt on her. Would like to have a 1/4 in foot for her. Can you buy a foot like that? Anyone know where I can fine one? Sorry this is so long.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Any low shank quarter inch foot will work. It does not have to say just for featherweights. Hancocks has them and I'm sure any LQS. Also ebay is a good place to find them.

You can also go to featherweight221.com. They have a FW sew guide for $10.95. It will help guide your sewing from about 1/8" to 1.5". My sister gave me one when she brought me my FW and I love it! They are made especially for FWs and will not harm the finish. Of course, it is black.
    Your "Baby" is beautiful! You will have SO much fun! Glad it is once again working well for you.

I, too, am glad your machine is up and running. I have a 1947 featherweight and I love it. Sometimes it gets a little moody, but I have found that there are some threads it just does not like without changing the tension quite a bit. I also have a Janome 6600, which I also love but, as long as I am not appliqueing (sp), I will always take my featherweight with me. Happy quilting.

I, too, am glad your machine is up and running. I have a 1947 featherweight and I love it. Sometimes it gets a little moody, but I have found that there are some threads it just does not like without changing the tension quite a bit. I also have a Janome 6600, which I also love but, as long as I am not appliqueing (sp), I will always take my featherweight with me. Happy quilting.

[quote=Roberta][quote=dkabasketlady]
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberta
    I wanted to let you all know that the machine is "fixed".

Nope, the needle wasn't in right. The bobbin case pretty much works the same way any bobbin case works but the needle is what's different. It MUST go in right, who knew, and also you thread it right to left which is the opposite of the way I do on my Janome.

Good luck with you EBay purchase. I'm sure you won't have any problems. If you do there's tons of helpful folks on here to help out.

:lol: I have had the same problem on my 1955 Featherweight "Centennial edition"...for some reason the needle can go into the machine and you can't tell it is in wrong!!! After 3 visits over a couple of months to the repair shop, I finally flagged the page in my manual to remind me to check it EVERY time I change the needle. Much less frustration.

Check out your local craft show - in Pleasanton there is a sewing craft show once a year and Featherweight (and other branded) dealers come in with all of their parts. Believe it or not, there is a free range quilting foot that will allow a Featherweight to act like a very short Long-Arm quilt machine!!!!

It looks like a small "C". I got it a while ago and finally got to try it out this week for the first time. WOW - AM I HAPPY WITH IT. :thumbup:

Just finishing up a whole cloth quilt panel that will be a lap quilt/ hanging quilt. I did the entire quilting of the scene with the free range quilting foot and was able to stitch in every direction - hardest part was making sure I had basted enough so the quilt wouldn't walk - had to piece the back when 2 inches scrunched up somewhere in the quilt and I lost one of my borders. I'm covering the fix with a hanging case so it will not be visible.

ENJOY YOUR NEW MACHINE. I love mine!

Cordially,

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta
    I feel really stupid not to have figured this out for myself but it's where I am in life I guess, dumber then a plank.

:lol: This cracks me up. It's a new one to me. Sometimes it just takes someone else to think for us. That little computer chip in our heads gets overloaded and clogged up with "stuff" and it takes another "chip" to help us out.

Blog Entries
    Vicky S. Can you show a pic. of the attachment you got to use for FMQ?
    I have a featherweight that I bought earlier in the summer on Ebay. I have cleaned it up and oiled it as well. I really haven't sewn on it yet, because I have been busy and haven't had much time for sewing this summer. But I would love to try FMQ on the FW.

I have a question....does feather weight mean light weight?
    The one I just got from ebay seems to weigh a ton...it is heavier than my Bernina. I thought the fw was suppose to weigh around 10-15 pounds.

Hope this is legible. Here is the attachment.

Free Motion Quilting attachment for Featherweight

In PDF format

I am so glad that you got it fixed. As for the seller, I do not care how busy you are, if you are contacted by a buyer with a problem concerning what they bought from you, then you respond in a timely manner. You did the right thing, you contacted the seller one last time and when no response, you filed a complaint---isn't it amazing that the seller responded pretty quickly after that. I would go back in and leave positive feedback on cost, shipping condition, etc but would leave a caution on "sellers communication" Shame on them. If you don't leave some sort of negative feedback on the communication, then someone else, who does not have the wonderful people on this board, really might get "cheated" Now, go enjoy your new little baby.

That's awesome! If you use this foot, how do you get your feed feet to lower? Don't you have to do that in order to free motion quilt?

Dee
    Glad your machine is humming along now. Have fun!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jlffreeman
    That's awesome! If you use this foot, how do you get your feed feet to lower? Don't you have to do that in order to free motion quilt?
    You can buy a little plate that screws over the feed dogs.

Blog Entries
    Where did you get the plate and the foot? I saw the copy of the foot you had in your post, Thanks. It looks like it is spring loaded.

Love a happy ending!!! You will enjoy her I'm sure!

Quote Originally Posted by treeseek quilter
    I have a question....does feather weight mean light weight?
    The one I just got from ebay seems to weigh a ton...it is heavier than my Bernina. I thought the fw was suppose to weigh around 10-15 pounds.
    Featherweights are very lightweight and pretty tiny. What you got is most likely not a real Featherweight. Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Gerbie
    Where did you get the plate and the foot? I saw the copy of the foot you had in your post, Thanks. It looks like it is spring loaded.
    No special plate needed. This foot just screws in where the regular pressure foot goes - nothing extra needed.

I got the foot from a dealer at the Alameda Co Fairgrounds Sewing Craft Show a couple of years ago, but due to time, never tried it out. The foot works great on the featherweight.

See foot installed, example of the work, and my machine

The free form foot installed - next to regular pressure foot
    Name:  Attachment-96332.jpe
Views: 10
Size:  158.7 KB

Example of free form quilting
    Name:  Attachment-96333.jpe
Views: 6
Size:  52.3 KB

Singer Centennial Edition - 100th year (1955)
    Name:  Attachment-96334.jpe
Views: 13
Size:  62.8 KB

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast