Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Featherweight

Blog Entries
    I would not pay more than $200.

That is high for today's prices. Featherweights make a great stitch and are very easy to take to classes but they only do a straight stitch! So many classes today incorporate different stitches I found it better to purchase a small Baby Lock or Janome which only weigh about 12#. Depending on what model you get you have a variety of stitches available. All this for about the same amount of money and they are brand new...Just my opinion....

Quote Originally Posted by Terri Morin
    Would you pay $400 for a featherweight, in good condition (so it's advertised)? The very first machine I bought was a 15 year old White, and I used it for 35 years. At the end it just wouldn't do the job - bobbin continually got messed up, had to pull the fabric through, etc. I'm a little leary of older machines. There seem to be a lot of used Kenmores. Are they worth anything?
    Unless it had a lot of extras no! It would have to be in REALLY good condition. I have paid only that for one and it was #1900 something of the very first run of featherweights in 1933. :-D

Quote Originally Posted by miriam
    Would you pay $400 for a featherweight, in good condition (so it's advertised)? The very first machine I bought was a 15 year old White, and I used it for 35 years. At the end it just wouldn't do the job - bobbin continually got messed up, had to pull the fabric through, etc. I'm a little leary of older machines. There seem to be a lot of used Kenmores. Are they worth anything?
    I'd love to see if I could get the old white to work. Does it have any plastic parts? If no plastic parts I bet we can get it to work. send a pm
    If your White was pre 1960's it probably is metal parts, best way to tell is take the bottom off or take it to a shop to have it evaluated, if it has plastic gears forget it. :-D

Too high a price. Really good ones can be found for as little as $125.

It's long gone.

There is a very nice old Singer machine that is still light weight and I have done all my FMQ on it as well. It is still very affordable and you should be able to find one locally on craigslist. It is the 301 or 301A and it is billed as the bigger sister to the Featherweight. It is light enough to take to classes as well. It is not as sought after as the Featherweight but it is an excellent machine. I have always been able to do all the basic maintenance on it myself and it is a gear driven rather than belt driven machine which means that it will sew through thicker layers than the Featherweight. If you find a machine without the users manual they are available to download online free of charge. I see them regularly for about $50.00 and have picked them up for my kids to have one each. I personally have more machines than I can say grace over but love the old ones. I wouldn't buy any Singer dated after 1965 as the quality went to pieces after that. Ann in TN

Thanks, Ann. I'll take a peak around.

Blog Entries
    Yep, that is too high. Some of the dealers are just cashing in on the FW, because we like them. The old supply and demand thing. I saw one posted for $600! Give me a break, the dude must have thought I was stupid. It was not really clean, it was in good shape but it was just a 221. I also saw another singer portable being advertised as a FW. I hope no one falls for some of their tactics. I did pay $250 for a really nice Centennial 1951 FW....:-))

That price is high if it is for a 221. If it is for a 222 (freearm version), then that's a good price.

I would say that is too much. I bought one off of eBay for 100.00. Had it cleaned etc. for 45.00. Sews great, take it too class etc. The only thing is that I like to finish a quilt on the machine I start on....so I use this one at home sometimes too. I really love my Janome PQ Quilter but it is way to heavy to carry around. I love Kenmore also and have had good service from mine...Good luck in what you do..

$400 is a little pricey for a FW - if that's what you're looking for (and can easily afford), then go for it, but there are still some bargains out there. If you do go for it, I'd make darned sure it was pristine and had lots of accessories, good wiring, near perfect carrying case.

Check eBay. That $400 price is high.

NO!

I know someone in my town that refurbishes featherweight sewing machines and does an excellent job. If you want I can send info and maybe they can help. You can email me at:
    [email protected]

I'm not going to get that machine. TOO much!!! I'm not particularly looking for a featherweight. Just had heard a lot about them - everyone seems to think they are "the thing" to have!!! All I really want is a reliable, lightweight portable to take to classes and Guild.

I have a 1948 featherweight in excellent condition for sale has everthing including bobbins foot control and box am having to sell some of my machines due to downsizeing.Am moving to smaller place. pm if interested.price is reasonable

That sounds like a lot

I have a Singer Featherweight. I paid top dollar for it, at $525.00, two years ago. I bought it to carry back and forth to quilting classes. At first I loved it, but in the long run, it sewed too slow and the bobbin didn't hold much thread. Every one in the class would be ahead of me in their sewing. So, I say "No". don't buy one. I eventually settled on a used Janome to take to class. At home I sew on my Bernina, which I love. However, the Janome is a great machine as well and sews fast.

Blog Entries
    I paid $375 for mine, which included $25 shipping. Very satisfied and was sold by a board member. Beautiful little girl!

Blog Entries
    I paid $500 for my featherweight the Spring of 2005. It had been completely re-conditioned, checked over thoroughly, and gives a perfect stitch. I felt like I was paying "top dollar," but there weren't many selling then. I love it,it gives good service, and I haven't had any major problems with it.
    It was made in 1942, and could look up the exact numbers on it.
    I would rather pay more and have it in perfect condition than to pay less and have to start having work done on it.
    Mariah

I'm not going to get that machine. TOO much!!! I'm not particularly looking for a featherweight. Just had heard a lot about them - everyone seems to think they are "the thing" to have!!! All I really want is a reliable, lightweight portable to take to classes and Guild.
    If you want lightweight and reliable, Janome makes a small machine that is good. Sears Kenmore labels the same machine as a "mini ultra" and the price is under $100. It has several different stitches and the reviews of users are very positive.

Quote Originally Posted by susanjean
    I have a Singer Featherweight. I paid top dollar for it, at $525.00, two years ago. I bought it to carry back and forth to quilting classes. At first I loved it, but in the long run, it sewed too slow and the bobbin didn't hold much thread. Every one in the class would be ahead of me in their sewing. So, I say "No". don't buy one. I eventually settled on a used Janome to take to class. At home I sew on my Bernina, which I love. However, the Janome is a great machine as well and sews fast.
    someone needs to check your foot pedal. there are reasons
    when they run slow.

I bought a 1951 160th Anniversary Featherweight on Ebay for $375.00 plus $35.00 shipping, so it came to a little over $400.00. It was in excellent condition. I bought it because it is so cute. My Designer SE sews a lot faster, has many more stitches, etc. I bought the Featherweight because of its history and it so doggone cute. I'm not sorry I paid that much for it as it does sew beautifully and I use it when I want nostalgia. Also, it is so portable for taking to classes.

You should be able to find something less expensive. These machines are little workhorses. If they break you can usually fix them yourself, there is a workbook that tells you haow to take them apart.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast