Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Feeling defeated today >

Feeling defeated today

Feeling defeated today

Old 08-16-2012, 09:07 AM

Sew up the fabric (good experience) and the quilt (even better expierence) if you still don't like it....donate it to charity and know you will keep someone warm.....what more could you ask.....Quilting/Sewing/ Designing/shopping are all on a learning curve....the more we DO the better we get...and it never stops, I have been sewing for well over 50 years and I still get better with each passing day......DO NOT BERATE YOURSELF......every expierence is a learning tool, some are just better than others......................
Old 08-17-2012, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by StitchinJoy View Post
Be bold and mighty forces will come to your aid.
What a great sentiment! I agree with the others... sew'er up & maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised. Otherwise, look at it like you've got a gift for when you need one!
Old 08-17-2012, 11:38 PM

Add some of the 'ugly' to fabrics you like - it will disappear. And/or donate it to the guild for charity quilts - others might love what you don't. As for the free motion - practice on paper every day. Your muscle memory will develop and you'll build your confidence. And remember, the great quilters didn't become great overnight. Practice, practice, then practice some more. (btw - Charity quilts are a great confidence builder.)
Old 08-18-2012, 04:12 AM

I don't believe there is any one quilter that produced an award winning quilt the first time out. First quilts are great because each succeeding quilt will be better and better. I don't think you can go wrong doing that strip quilt.

As for quilting it...(before you make your quilt sandwich) using a wash away marking pencil - mark the top with a SIMPLE PATTERN for your quilting stitch line...layer your quilt together and follow the line! Easy Peasy! Check the label of your batting to see how far apart the quilting stitches need to be...I'm guessing about 5" apart.

EVERYONE has to have a first quilt. I think you're on the right track with the pattern you chose.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:36 AM

I have a UFO of this fabric. I loved all the colors but there was/just something about the feel or quality of the fabric that sets my teeth on edge. At least it is just a wall hanging. But I found a jelly roll of it at a clearance store...and bought it?i have just bought a new machine and will use this to practice on.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:59 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Spring View Post
Spent the morning at a local quilt shop in Mississippi and met some wonderful woman who asked me to join their guild (sp). I was so excited I purchases my supplies needed to finish my rookie quilt, but of course who could stop there ....I bought 2 jelly rolls from Fabric Central called Neutral Mediterranean. I loved the color at the shop. I got home and opened them up...WOW! The fabric is soooo UGLY. I planned on making a tube quilt now Im scared to waste the time...I guess I could finish and always give it to my mom...Moms love anything. Then I got ready to free motion my Rookie quilt and Im so scared I think Im going to toss my cookies. Every time I put it under the foot of my machine I take it out and put it back on my bed. I tried a glass of wine and that just turned me into a bigger chicken.
Thanks for listening
One of my favorite quilts started out with really ugly fabric. But, it is now my favorite!!