Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Feeling defeated today >

Feeling defeated today

Feeling defeated today

Old 10-23-2010, 10:29 AM

The ugly fabric tempered with some solids and creative stitches could transform from the ugly duckling to the beautiful swan. A certain stitch can transform wonders but you'll never know if you never try. Stitch up those jelly rolls and quilt away until you find your own rythm and style.

We're all rooting for you.
Andie :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 10-23-2010, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Spring
I was looking at my glass as half empty and taking it out on my poor jelly rolls...lol
I have lived in Memphis for three years without meeting anyone and finally a month before Im moving I meet some great ladies that I would have loved to get to know better.
I was a tiny bit "butthurt" by the time I got home and instead of kicking the cat (just kidding-I don't have a cat) I took it out on my jelly rolls.
I did make a tube and cut out a few squares and I think it will make a beautiful quilt.

For the rookie quilt....it was a lot easier then I thought. At first I was scared to mess up something that looked so prefect...boy as I looked at it closer those seams didn't line up at all! It sure made it easier to just free hand all the little flowers I wanted.

Thanks for the support...you guys are always right!
Hey, Spring, I hope your move goes well. I sure do understand about moving. I've lived more than 30 different places. It's hard to move, and it always seems to happen after you make some nice connections.

Please remember that you are connected to us in this cyber community and although it's different than a quilt guild, it's also similar in many ways. Wherever you move, girlfriend, just turn on your PC and we'll be there with ya.

And if that quilt still strikes you as ugly, just chalk it up to a learning experience. Look at it objectively, with clear eyes, and determine what it is that you don't like about it. Is the color off? Too bland? Not enough or too much contrast? Pieces too big or too small? Borders not right size?

Then give it away. Someone will love it!

I was Project Linus coordinator for Philadelphia for 4 years, and I've given away a lot of quilts and blankets that I thought were odd color combinations. I'd pack em up and head off to the bereavement camp or children's hospital or foster care center, and there was always a kid there picking the "odd"one that I had thought was the red-headed stepchild!

We all like different things, and variety is the spice of life.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:57 PM

What's ugly about it? I think it's nice, has a very peaceful, "mediterranean" sort of a look!
Like the best time of Summer.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:35 PM

I don't think it's ugly either. I love the oranges and blues in it!
Old 10-24-2010, 08:30 AM

And after you practice your FMQ on the ugly material, give it to your mom, cuz you are right! We moms do love anything you kids make for us!!!!
Old 10-24-2010, 11:53 AM

Its funny because the jelly roll is all my favorite colors, I wanted something in fall colors..I got exactly was I wanted but I don't care for it. The more blocks I make the brighter it gets. Would some plain white sashing help tone it down?
Attached Thumbnails attachment-112918.jpe  
Old 10-24-2010, 12:10 PM

ohhhh I like that..its coming right along...:)
Old 10-24-2010, 01:13 PM

Do you have EQ or another quilting design program? Maybe you can audition it with and without sashing or with different sashing colors to see what you think.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:11 PM

well where to start....
I decided I still was not feeling it for this poor fabric. So I tore out the stitches, sat all the squared out on my bed, locked the door, put on some music. After I seduced my fabric, I fell in love with it. I have a brand new design layout and we are looking forward to evenings in the porch swing, reading by the fireplace, and many many summer evenings at the beach. She has even agreed to be my tissue during those sad chick flicks I watch while hubby is out of town.
Thank you all for the encouragement to keep playing with it until I got it right.

P.S. Be prepared for pics next weekend. Im so excited.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Spring
well where to start....
I decided I still was not feeling it for this poor fabric. So I tore out the stitches, sat all the squared out on my bed, locked the door, put on some music. After I seduced my fabric, I fell in love with it. I have a brand new design layout and we are looking forward to evenings in the porch swing, reading by the fireplace, and many many summer evenings at the beach. She has even agreed to be my tissue during those sad chick flicks I watch while hubby is out of town.
Thank you all for the encouragement to keep playing with it until I got it right.

P.S. Be prepared for pics next weekend. Im so excited.
LOVE this post. Love it. :mrgreen: