Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Feeling really stupid >

Feeling really stupid

Feeling really stupid

Old 09-02-2016, 12:15 PM

I have had many a day like that! Sometimes the obvious is just not obvious. For some reason our brains know what we thought we did, thus skip checking that what we actually did was correct. I spent several days like that while trying to quilt a quilt. Can't tell you how many stitches I took out because of the mess that showed up on the back of the quilt. Finally went to the machine to check it one more time before taking it to the shop...and saw that the machine was not threaded correctly. I only missed one, tiny step when I threaded it, but, oh, the extra work that missed step caused me!

It's not that we are dumb. We're just imperfect humans.
Old 09-02-2016, 12:23 PM

Not stupid! I keep the manuels for all my machines near by (and take to classes or retreats) cause this happens more often than I want to admit!
Old 09-02-2016, 12:27 PM

Not stupid...........I also have machines which thread left to right, front to back, etc. My ex daughter-in-law put the needle in backwards and I took it to the repair shop, nothing wrong with machine it was her operator error>>>>and no they didn't get divorced over that, lol.

Brain farts is what some people call them........some last all day long.
Old 09-02-2016, 12:45 PM

I thought I wrote this in my sleep. LOL
Old 09-02-2016, 01:16 PM

My Juki is threaded differently from any machine I have ever had and it is a 2nd machine that I don't use as much. There is a hook that the thread goes through three times!!.. I have to keep the manual right with the machine to double check that I am threading it correctly.
Old 09-02-2016, 02:20 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mama's place View Post
My Juki is threaded differently from any machine I have ever had and it is a 2nd machine that I don't use as much. There is a hook that the thread goes through three times!!.. I have to keep the manual right with the machine to double check that I am threading it correctly.
My Juki worked best when i used only the first and third holes.
Old 09-02-2016, 02:36 PM
Power Poster

Your marker Idea is a great solution. When you use several machines it can be easy to miss the correct path. Making a diagram would also be a good idea. Glad you solved your problem.
peace
Old 09-02-2016, 02:41 PM

I've done that too! LOL I have one machine that threads left to right and one that threads right to left, the other two thread front to back. If it's been a while since I've sewn on one I pull out the manual to remind myself which way to the thread goes.

My most frequent DUH! moment happens when I'm FMQing---everything is zipping along nicely, stitches are looking pretty, and then that oops moment occurs when I realize I've forgotten to lower my presser foot---it's amazing how nice the stitches on top can look while there's a rat's nest forming on the bottom--the problem here is, that my main quilting machine doesn't seem to mind at all, so I can get quite a large area quilted before I realize there's a problem

Rob<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>
Old 09-02-2016, 02:56 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mama's place View Post

I have one of the three hole bars. I use the first one only. As a thread guide. No weaving over the other holes. The weaving through the other holes are for speciality threads. Had a tech explain it to me at Paducah quilt show. He said he wished the three hole bar was never put on machines.

I feel stupid (it'a valid word) when I completely miss the mark. It helps keep me humble.

Last edited by Onebyone; 09-02-2016 at 02:58 PM.
Old 09-02-2016, 03:29 PM

I have copies of the threading and bobbin insertion pages from the machine manuals tacked on the wall behind each machine to avoid that.