Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Feeling really stupid >

Feeling really stupid

Feeling really stupid

Old 09-03-2016, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by ontheriver View Post
I took a marker and drew an arrow pointing to the way it should go on the machine, hopefully done with that mistake.
I have curved arrows drawn on my machines to show me which way the thread goes around the tension when winding bobbins. Like someone said, multiple machines.
Old 09-04-2016, 09:03 AM

That has happened to me many times. Know how you feel!! Glad others had had the same experience.
If there is a club for others who have had this experienced we are all friends with needle problems !!What fun!!
Mariah
Old 09-04-2016, 11:33 AM
mac

First of all, we have all felt foolish at one time or another. It's best to just laugh it off and learn your lesson, which you did by fixing it so you can remember the next time it happens. As mama said to Forest Gump, "stupid is as stupid does," so remember that you are not stupid. However, having said that, it is fun to share our "DUH" moments so that we can all laugh at ourselves because we all know that we are not alone in makings silly mistakes.

Having done this a time or two (or ten) here is an easy way to remember which way you thread your needle:

There is a groove on your sewing machine needle, you can feel it with your finger nail. What ever side that groove is on, that is the side that your thread should go in. So no matter what machine you go to, even if you have never sewn on that machine before, you can always tell which way to put in the thread.

However, if you should forget which way your needle goes into the socket, when replacing the needle, you will need your sewing machine manual for that information. I've never looked, but I am hoping that it you put a mirror under the needle hole that you can see which side the flat part of the needle goes in, just in case you don't have your manual with you.

I usually keep my manual with the sewing machine at all times, even when I am transporting it to a class, just in case I need to know some information. There was a time when I didn't do this and found myself at a standstill trying to figure out something, when I could have been sewing. Unfortunately, I was in a class and because of this got way behind and didn't to fully participate in the class. Bummers -- a lesson I never forgot.
Old 09-04-2016, 12:02 PM

You're not stupid, you're experienced. I learn more from my boo-boos than my 1st time successes. No doubt you did too! And you might someday help someone who makes the same mistake and reassure them that they're experienced too. Happy sewing.
Old 09-04-2016, 01:47 PM

After 35 years of using my machine randomly for different projects & having taught myself how to use it from a very faded xerox manual (working fulltime & overtime, I only did household things like curtains, kids costumes) I learned:
that one should probably change the needle at some point;
that one should clean and oil the machine at some point;
that the extra lightbulb in my case should replace the burned-out one over the needle at some point.
I could go on, but for now I'll simply join the club and wait for my pin & jacket! (haha Peckish)
Old 09-04-2016, 02:46 PM

Oh, you poor thing! At least you figured out what the problem was. And now everything has had a tune up! It was just a supreme beings way of telling you to clean it!
Old 09-04-2016, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
Nope, you're not stupid, been there done that. An easy way to remember is that a needle always threads towards the flat side of the shank. So if you know which way the flat side goes into the machine you always know which direction to thread it.

Cari
. Thank you for the tip!
Old 09-04-2016, 03:58 PM

Another way to remember is there is a groove down the front of the needle shaft, called a scarf. When the needle is in correctly, that scarf will be centered and sometimes I dampen the thread end and then slide it down that groove and it will slip right into the needle eye. Two birds with one stone----needle is correctly positioned and also is threaded. Voila!
Old 09-04-2016, 04:00 PM

Oops. Sorry---Mac already said this. Duh, read first dummy.
Old 09-05-2016, 12:02 AM

I think we all have to stop and remember that we are all merely "human", none of us are perfect and never will be. The only "man" who ever walked this earth and was perfect was Jesus Christ himself, and they nailed him to a tree. We just have to learn to forgive ourselves for being human. The best we can do on this earth is strive for excellence (not perfection--we'll never each that exalted state). My Mom always told me to just do the best that I can do, and not worry about anything else; all we can do is try -- that's all a mule can do! Jeanette