Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Felt Quilting >

Felt Quilting

Felt Quilting

Old 10-05-2016, 08:24 AM

Default Felt Quilting

I'd like to try my hand at creating a table runner using felt. What type of tools/equipment would you suggest I collect? I'm completely new to this craft... thank you!
Old 10-05-2016, 08:44 AM

I assume you're doing "wool" applique with the felt. I've done a few & took a class on a cute pumpkin runner last year and they had us get the following:
1) Heat & Bond (unless you're using that fake plastic felt from JAF, in which case you can get away with Pellon 805)
2) Chenille needles if you plan to hand applique
3) Perle cotton or floss for hand applique, or for machine: Aurifil 12wt in top (with size 90 Topstitch) and 40/50wt in the bobbin ("they" say you should always put 50wt in the bobbin, but I've run it with 40wt & it's done fine; I find it grabs the 12wt thread better since it's a bit thicker)
4) Dry iron -- ideally without steam holes, otherwise you really need to be careful as the iron does leave marks on your felt. Be sure to always press with the tip pointing OFF the edge of your piece or you'll end up with pointy triangle indents on your felt!
5) Pencil/pen for tracing pattern onto the fusible; I also like a Sharpie in case the lines on my pattern are hard to see
6) Fabric & paper scissors
7) Good lighting so you can see your stitches -- I use a portable LED light by IdeaWorks if I'm going to be working on it anywhere other than my super bright sewing studio.
8) Seam ripper, just in case
9) And, of course, your felt & pattern.

Happy Quilting! Hope you love working with wool as much as I do!
Old 10-05-2016, 04:51 PM

Bree YOU are a fountain of info...thank you! How did your pattern turn out?
Old 10-08-2016, 07:58 PM

Where do you purchase your wool? I only have a JAF local
Old 10-08-2016, 10:33 PM

Hi Neuras,
The pumpkin table mat I made is class is probably not as horrible as I'm thinking it looks, but I just feel discouraged every time I look at it. That tip I gave you about not having the tip of the iron facing toward the middle of your project was a lesson learned the hard way (I misunderstood the teacher & did have the tip of the iron off my project, but unfortunately put the wide tail of the iron dead center instead of just barely in far enough to cover the applique pieces, so I have the iron indent holes right in the middle of my mat ). Maybe if I add some embroidery in the center it will help disguise the indentations from the iron -- I hope! I'm hoping to have a bit of time toward the middle of this month to see what I can do with it.

As for where to buy felted wool -- the piece I did in the class was a kit from Primitive Gatherings (https://www.primitivegatherings.us/s...table-mat.html). One of my LQS'es gets in a few of their kits every season & they are always excellent quality! Primitive Gatherings even suggests colors of pearle cotton that coordinate with the fabric in their kits. Or you can just buy their hand dyed wool on its own without a kit if you already have a pattern you'd like to use. I've found their staff to be super helpful if you just email them -- they'll help with color selection or answer any questions you have. Here's a link to their Wool Mats & Runners page (https://www.primitivegatherings.us/s...rs.html?page=2)

Good luck!
Old 10-09-2016, 05:14 AM
Power Poster

I think buying a kit from Primitive Gatherings is a great way to start. I have bought a few of their kits and they are nice. The felted wool is great quality and the patterns are easy to follow.
Old 10-09-2016, 06:58 AM

Thank you! I was under the impression that I could buy wool like fabric (by the FQ or yard).
Old 10-09-2016, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Neuras View Post
Thank you! I was under the impression that I could buy wool like fabric (by the FQ or yard).
You can. Primitive Gatherings sells that, too. https://www.primitivegatherings.us/s...dyed-wool.html
Old 10-09-2016, 07:31 AM

I took a look & that pumpkin project is beautiful! Give yourself a break Bree, it must be WAY better than you think! The cost of such quality materials is a bit out of my price bracket rt now, but I will come back to take a better look. Thank you again!
Old 10-09-2016, 07:49 AM
Power Poster

Many wool felters get their wool from thrift stores as wool garments. The only problem with that is not all wool felts and you get a whole lot more fabric than you need in only one color. If you are lucky enough to find a 100% wool garment in a white that is the kind of wool that felts (usually the kind labeled 100% wool, dry clean only but I have gotten wool garments marked that way and the item wouldn't felt with hot water washing and drying) you could probably dye many of the colors yourself. Many ladies get together and trade cuts of their felted wool they have made from wool garments. Pre-felted wool is expensive both by the yard and precuts so for trying it out it is more cost effective to buy a kit because for many of the appliques you only need a small piece. The other factor to consider is the cost of perle cotton. Some have been known to be notorious bleeders. Many who make a lot of felted wool things opt to do it in all one color. I like the variety of matching colors to the wool applique but you are often fine with one shade of green when the pattern may call for two.
Felted wool projects are a lot of fun and the resulting items are very cute but they are on the expensive side. Oh and felted wool also attracts pet hair like a magnet so if you have pets be prepared for that. One of the biggest reasons I won't make a felted wool quilt and gave up on the table toppers and candle mats is that the few projects I have done have become unsightly with all the pet hair on them (I have 4 cats and two dogs). I will probably finish them up and do a thorough dehairing of them and gift them to pet free households.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 10-09-2016 at 07:54 AM.