Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Figuring out block sizes >

Figuring out block sizes

Figuring out block sizes

Old 06-29-2016, 12:45 PM

Location: Inverness, Florida Lived in states MA (born/graduated) RI (twice) CA (3 times) MO (3 times) KY VA

Have looked online for a pattern and haven't found one yet. I don't adhere to a certain size quilt. They are what they end up being. :-) I've attached my test block. It's a little off in places. My back is hurting and I didn't have enough sense to stop for awhile. :-( I just want to quilt!! lol

Thanks for all the suggestions. It really helped. :-)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]553107[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails block.jpg  
Old 06-30-2016, 03:01 AM
Power Poster

I believe this a pattern is not a free pattern. The size of the blocks depend mostly on the size of the quilt you want. I believe having recently examined this quilt that it is made up using a Layer cake and charm squares.
Old 06-30-2016, 04:00 AM
KR

Having some graph paper in your "library" might help you figure this out. Once you determine the finished sizes of each piece, add the seam allowances. I would strip piece those small squares and their sashings as much as possible.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:05 AM

Looks good. If you had eq program that would help, but everyone has the correct measurements.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:56 AM

I think you are on the right track after looking at your sample. Love your focal fabric-it is beautiful. The help you get on this board is fantastic. I have been studying the pattern and I think it will be easy to graphed out. Good luck on your attempt. You are doing great.
Old 06-30-2016, 03:17 PM

actually this IS a free pattern. if you are using Google, right click on the picture and click on 'google image search'

It does not always work but I found it this time

http://blankquilting.net/projects/Ambrosia.pdf

I like this pattern! Thanks for posting the picture!
Old 06-30-2016, 03:57 PM
yel

I sent you a private message
Old 06-30-2016, 04:01 PM

Hi there -

Were you planning to use the same focus fabric in all the larger blocks? That will give you a different look from the ones pictured, which appear to have 2.

You seem to be very good with color! I am wondering, though, from looking at the sample block posted on the next page, if cutting is more the issue than sewing. On my first quilt, I did all the cutting with a small mat on the ironing board because it was high enough to be comfortable for my back. I had a devil of a time getting pieces of a similar size, which created a lot of trouble with sewing. I didn't realize how much it mattered to use a hard surface.

Re patterns, I have only bought two, and from well-known designers, but they were rife with errors. As others have suggested, graph paper can be a life-saver. On my first quilt, because I am fine with math but have trouble with right and left, I even cut out construction paper pieces to make sure the blocks would work. Drawing on graph paper and then handling the paper pieces was much better for me than drafting it on the computer. It might help you, too.

hugs,
Charlotte
Old 07-01-2016, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by soccertxi View Post
actually this IS a free pattern. if you are using Google, right click on the picture and click on 'google image search'

It does not always work but I found it this time

http://blankquilting.net/projects/Ambrosia.pdf

I like this pattern! Thanks for posting the picture!
Wow, I didn't know you could do this, it would have saved me years of frustration. Where have you been all my life. Do I feel like a dummy, did everyone know how to do this. Thanks for teaching me something new that will make my life so much easier with quilting now.
Old 07-01-2016, 04:39 AM

I hope you can find the pattern, for I really like the looks of this quilt and your focus fabric would make this quilt a stunner.