Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Figuring out block sizes >

Figuring out block sizes

Figuring out block sizes

Old 06-29-2016, 06:48 AM

Location: Inverness, Florida Lived in states MA (born/graduated) RI (twice) CA (3 times) MO (3 times) KY VA
Default Figuring out block sizes

I get all confused when I try to figure out how to make a quilt when all I have is a picture. Is there some formula that works in all sorts of occasions?

Example: I have 5 complimentary fabrics. One is my 'special' one. I would like to make a quilt with that as my focal point in all the blocks with smaller blocks all around it along with sashing. So, if I make the focal block 5" finished size and the sashing 1" finished size, how do I figure out what size to cut the squares around it allowing for sashing and seam allowance?

Clear as mud? :-) Basically I just don't know how to measure and cut without a pattern where someone has already worked it all out. :-) This is one idea:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]553080[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image_53707250.png  
Old 06-29-2016, 06:57 AM

I certainly don't have a clue as to how to figure the blocks out but I sure love this pattern. Possibly you could draw it out on graph paper (this is what I do) and make the blocks around your focal fabric to match your focal fabric block with the sashing. Good Luck and hopefully someone will help you. Everyone on this QB is terrific in helping.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:17 AM

If the large square is 5" finished and sashing is 1" finished, then the small squares are 2" finished or 2.5" unfinished. I would make 3 units for this quilt . The 5" square, 2 small squares, and 3 small squares. The 2 small squares get sewn to the large square with sashing between. Then you can lay them out and see where you need to add sashing strips. Then sew it together in rows.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:19 AM

If the larger of the squares is 5" the combination of the 2 smaller squares & the 1 inch sashing have to equal 5" so the cut sashing is 1.5" then the 2 finished little squares have to be cut 2.5"..
Old 06-29-2016, 09:28 AM

Location: Inverness, Florida Lived in states MA (born/graduated) RI (twice) CA (3 times) MO (3 times) KY VA

Ok, got it. I have them cut out for one block. Now I am confused with the sashing. Do I sash each one separetly and then join them? Or sash the ones that don't connect in a straight line first and then sash as many as I can that are in a straight line? Or do strips where I can? I always have problems making a straight line when going in one direction yet there is sashing in another direction separated by sashing that I have to connect so they are in a straight line going the opposite direction.

Example: Pretty quilt but there are so many things wrong with my sewing it isn't fit to give away. :-(

[ATTACH=CONFIG]553084[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]553085[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails front1.jpg   front1.jpg   back1.jpg  
Old 06-29-2016, 10:53 AM

Rather than rack your brain trying to figure this out..have you searched Google/Pinterest, for some free patterns that are like what you showed? I know that is a popular setting, and someone may have already done the math for you, since it confuses you to.....
Old 06-29-2016, 11:03 AM

For me, I would make 2 blocks with the 5 smaller ones around it and 2 blocks with 2 smaller ones attached. Then see these into rows. When you attach your rows, mark your sashing on both sides where you want the opposing sashing to line up. I hope this makes sense for you
Old 06-29-2016, 11:14 AM

what do you mean it isn't fit to give away......I love it.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:18 AM
Power Poster

I have found graph paper to be a sewing room staple and my best design tool. I use it a lot! When I want to figure out sizes, make things fit I sketch it onto graph paper. Once I get the design on the paper I can then ( assign) sizes to the squares to come up with block sizes. Just remember to then add seam allowances before diving into cutting. ��
Old 06-29-2016, 11:20 AM

What size quilt are you wanting to end up with? I always start there and work backwards, although math and I are not friends. I do a lot of scratch work on paper with diagrams and stuff and calculator if I must work it out myself. But I would certainly go on a major hunt to find that pattern online first .I'd gladly pay $10-15 for one that didn't make me figure out the math. I figure the time I save, and the time they put into to do that math, is worth it. That said, I've only bought one pattern ever, because I tend to "wing it" on my own with simple patterns, pen, paper...