Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Finally tried Gutermann thread

I have to say I have stayed away from coats for years had several issues with it years ago while garment sewing, I haven't bought it since, I now believe it was a bad spool but I guess I've gotten spoiled by my gutter an my hancocks only sold mettler and black and white gutter an, but when Joanns opened I bout the 30 pack of gutter an on sale - I only use aura fill for my piecing though just but it online from a cheap source....

Thread manufacturers all make so many different types of thread, I'd never blanketly refuse to use an entire brand even if I'd had trouble with one type. For example, the new Coats & Clark Star thread is wonderful yet I hate the Dual Duty lines.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Gutermann and Mettler are the standard threads that we can buy in my town.I have no problem with either of them.Aurifil can be purchased an hour and a half drive away. It is more expensive for the reel but there is twice as much thread on the reel as well. It is very nice to sew with Aurifil as well. The only threads I will not sew with are the really cheap ones that break all of the time. The one I liked the best was Tanne and I think it was a shame that they stopped manufacturing it.

My Janome likes all threads, even tho I was told, it would only like what ever I started with. I have used up all my old C&C on it & lots of different expensive brands. But now I am using Connecting Treads for piecing, I really like their thread, price and how much is on a spool. I have not noticed any more link. I notice more lint in some of the fabrics I use.

I have used Gutterman for a few years now and found it to be a good thread. I tried Aurafil the other and couldn't really tell much difference. I like the thread I bought from Connecting thread but hate the link. My machines only complain when I use different thread in the bobbin than on the top.
    Lorraine

I have used Gutermann thread for many, many years and it was the only thread I used for making clothes. I now have tried Aurifil and it is also a good thread. I watch for it on sale on the internet and buy it then. I have just about given up using any other threads as the lint problem has been too much to continue to deal with. Continue to buy gutermann or metroscene as you need them.

Blog Entries
    I have tried lots of threads (not expensive ones) but found all my machines like Connecting Threads just fine. It is a bit linty, but I just clean out the bobbin area after each sewing session. With CT I can afford to have a wide range of colors at a decent price! Most of my machines are vintage, so they are easy for me to break down and clean myself. My modern machines go to the shop periodically for cleaning. So far, no issues caused by thread lint.
    Linda
    There may be times we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. - Elie Wiesel

I recently tried Gutterman and I am in love. My featherweight , 15-90 and Elna will sew with anything but the Guterrman was so easy to thread, so smooth and has so little lint that I am sold. I usually just use ecru, white or light grey for piecing. I am going to get a cone of each.

Quote Originally Posted by tngal22 View Post
    I had bought a spool from MSCO last month but just was scared to try it on something that wasn't for me. But I broke down and tried it on a bib and burp cloth I made for my store. No issues at all. Low to no lint and I love the feel of it. I was also worried my machine, Janome DC2011, wouldn't like it. Now I know it does so I hope to start my stash of Guterman thread soon. I have been eyeing the collection boxes I have seen around but man they are high....but it has a nice case. lol

Thanks for all that suggests this thread. If I get bold, I might try Aurifil but the price of that scares me away.
    I think Jo-Anns has it on sale next week at 40% off.

I use gutterman all of the time and all my machines love it. But I bought one of those gutterman 10 packs and the thread in the pack I bought was much lower grade than the indiviual spools. I don't know if I just got a bad pack or what, but I can't use it. My Pfaff won't sew Coats & Clark, but my Janome will if I adjust the tension higher. But I will stick with gutterman because it doesn't fuzz, they have a large color selection, and my sm loves it. Good luck in your thread hunt.
    jean

jeanredner, yes JoAnn's will have it on sale starting Sunday; I have prewarned hubby already. lol

I also tend to use the neutral colors the most so I will stock up on those. But I like to have red, yellow and green on hand too.
    Sabrina
    Mommy to a 6 year old little girl, 3 dogs, 5 cats, and 2 fish. lol Life keeps me busy but when I have a moment, I love to sew
    http://ataleofamilitaryfamily.blogspot.com/
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/HugsLove

Spending more money for thread is worth it to help keep our machines a little cleaner inside and less need for repair
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

If you can hod out till "black Friday" JoAnn's usually has the whole color set on sale for half off. Got a nice metal display stand with ther tyhread last year. Not sure, but I think it was 79.00

When I bought my Bernina, they supplied me with a half dozen small spools of Mettler.

Blog Entries
    I got a flyer from JoAnn's and they will have it on sale starting Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
    My Bernina was breaking thread constantly. I couldn't sew for 2 minutes without the thread breaking. I was at my wit's end. I bought a large cone of Gutermann's thread and am so thankful I did. I have not had any breakage since then. Also, I don't have a stand for the large cone, so I just set it in front of my sewing machine and thread it up through the hooks and it works perfect. After 2 years of struggling, I finally found the answer. Gutermann's thread and a large cone of it. I don't think a small spool of it would work like the cone does.
    I have a mason jar at the side of my machine that sits on a piece of shelf liner so it won't move around. I use a cone of thread and thread the machine as I always do and it works fine for me
    Got that tip from "old" quilters I know

The only thread I'm picky about is my embroidery thread for cross-stitching, and it has to be DMC.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

I have used the spool I have of Gutermann for the last couple of small projects. No issues, going slow or fast. Washes well too. So I will buy some more to build my stash.
    Sabrina
    Mommy to a 6 year old little girl, 3 dogs, 5 cats, and 2 fish. lol Life keeps me busy but when I have a moment, I love to sew
    http://ataleofamilitaryfamily.blogspot.com/
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/HugsLove

I love Guterman thread, but my Janome 6600 doesn't like it at all, and I have a nice size stash of it. So, I switched to Aurifil and she purrs away with it. I can use my Guterman in my Featherweights though, and they're all just fine with it. Whew! What a relief because I bought a ton of Gutermann!
    Watch for Hancock's and JoAnn's to run the Guterman on sale. Wish I could find a store going out of business with thread that cheap! What a great bargain.
    Karen in Kentucky

When joAnn's has thread at 50% off I stock up on thread.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    I never have thought to fret over using any type of sewing thread in my machine. It works or it doesn't is my thinking.
    I have lots of Guttermann thread. When Hancock Fabric store closed the last day all the thread was 10 spools for $1!!! No matter the brand or the size. The other customers were all at the C&C and serger racks (clothes sewers). I hit the Guttermann and Sulky racks. I bought every spool left. The manager said he wasn't counting all those spools and I got it for pennies a spool. I thought what in the world was I thinking buying all that thread? But it has saved me hundreds of dollars. I use the Sulky and Guttermann for secret pal and gifts to sewing friends during the year. They think I spent too much! LOL I love the Guttermann colors and so far it has sewn great in all my machines.

I only buy Aurifil or Genziana (same thing) thread here:http://www.tristan.bc.ca/cart/home.php?cat=36
    Thanks for the link for the Aurifil link.

Oh good it works for you. I have a Janome 6500 and it is Ok with Guterman but loves the Aurafil. If yours takes the Guterman I would stay with it. I think it is stronger. If you want to try Aurafil shop around online. when there was a sale I bought like 10 spools of the natural color at $6 also look how much is on the spool compared to the Guterman. I have been able to find cheaper Aurafil then Guterman.
    Anna Quilts

Quote Originally Posted by KyKaren1949 View Post
    I love Guterman thread, but my Janome 6600 doesn't like it at all, and I have a nice size stash of it. So, I switched to Aurifil and she purrs away with it. .
    I fnd my Janome 6500 is the same. Overal I love the machine but she is definitely a thread snob eventhough I just quilted a lap quilt with metalics. Go figure.
    Anna Quilts

Hi

I am hooked on Aurifil thread, it costs more, but boy it seems to last and last, especially in the bobbin. My Babylock Symphony purrs with it and so does my Babylock Ellure, and no lint! Love it!
    Bev
    Our lives are like quilts....bits and pieces....joys and sorrows....stitched together with love.
    Babylock Crescendo, Elegante2, and Ellure.....for the love of sewing!

Thanks for posting this thread. I just took my Bernina in for servicing. It was freezing up on me. The tech changed a part, I picked it up then it was giving me issues with tension. I took it back in today and the tech told me I needed to use Mettler. He said Gutermann is not as good, but never to use Coats and Clarke. I guess I need to get rid of all my threads that are not as good...sigh...it used to take any thread before it started freezing.
    Susette
    http://fabricribbonandyarn.blogspot.com/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast