Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: finishing placemats

finishing placemats

Is it tacky to serge around some quilted table runners...I don't want to spend too much time on these..they are just for me. Maybe I am just to lazy to make , attach and sew the binding??.

Banned
    If you can live with it then why not?

Cari

Power Poster
    I might straight stitch close to the edge to compress the batt and then use the fuzzy serger thread to get good coverage over the edge.

I just finished 10 sets of placemats for Christmas gifts and none of them had binding. They were either birthed or were the type where the backing came around to the front to look like binding. Much easier!

Quote Originally Posted by nannykins8 View Post
    I just finished 10 sets of placemats for Christmas gifts and none of them had binding. They were either birthed or were the type where the backing came around to the front to look like binding. Much easier!
    thats what I do too!

Quote Originally Posted by nannykins8 View Post
    Same here! I don't have a serger so I can't answer that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I might straight stitch close to the edge to compress the batt and then use the fuzzy serger thread to get good coverage over the edge.
    I think this would look better than just regular serger thread. But if you aren't fussy about it, just do the regular serger thread.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

It would look good in almost all settings (perhaps not Really, Really formal). Have fun with different color threads.
    Love to see your finished place mat.
    Mike

Wooly Nylon surges great and leaves a nice finished edge. I would 3 thread surge. I have even used crochet thread in my serger.

I always finish placemats pillowcase style. Shouldn’t take any longer than serving them. Nice finished edge too. I top stitch them a quarter inch around folded edge.

I cut the backing about 2" larger all the way around after quilting. Then I use that as binding which I stitch to the front. It looks fine.

I merely turn the placemats, press, and then stitch about 1/2" from the outside edges. I have some sets I have been using for 20 years and they are still in good shape.

Blog Entries
    Instead of binding, you can birth them and then do a decorative topstitching in about 1/4" to 1/2".

Just for you, do what makes your heart glad! If you're going to regret it every time you use them, don't do it.
    Retired math teacher --
    I CAN FIGURE IT OUT!

Go ahead and serge at least one. If you don't like it you could still bind it later.

Last ones, I enveloped them and top stitched all around.