Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
First of all, to each His/Her own!!! >

First of all, to each His/Her own!!!

First of all, to each His/Her own!!!

Old 06-29-2011, 10:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by EagarBeez
I was also faced with someone telling me that my quilts are not quilts because they are tied. I asked her, back during the days of the old west and even after that, were quilts tied??? I do what I can. I love making quilts, experimenting with colors, looking at the next quilt to be more of a challenge then the last. It also relaxes me.I have 2 fabrics with batting in the middle, and tied. I can't afford a machine or sending out.
It's my quilt. I like the results
What these people don't realize is that "back in the olden days" women HAD to make quilts by hand because that was the only way to have bed coverings--they couldn't go to their local store and buy them. And that as soon as mechanical machines became available, including treadles, those who could afford them FLOCKED to get them. Gr-gr-gramma loved her treadle because it made it so much easier to make the necessary stuff. And if it was good enough for gr-gr-gramma, it is sure good enough for me!!
Old 06-29-2011, 10:07 AM

we were selling raffle tickets for our quilt and two ladies came by, said it was just beautiful, but NO way would they buy a chance ... it was not hand quilted, wasnt' a real quilt, I laughed at them, felt the quilt and said, Feels real to me????
Old 06-29-2011, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by gaigai
Originally Posted by EagarBeez
I was also faced with someone telling me that my quilts are not quilts because they are tied. I asked her, back during the days of the old west and even after that, were quilts tied??? I do what I can. I love making quilts, experimenting with colors, looking at the next quilt to be more of a challenge then the last. It also relaxes me.I have 2 fabrics with batting in the middle, and tied. I can't afford a machine or sending out.
It's my quilt. I like the results
What these narrow-minded, historically ignorant people don't realize is that "back in the olden days" women HAD to make quilts by hand because that was the only way to have bed coverings--they couldn't go to their local store and buy them. And that as soon as mechanical machines became available, including treadles, those who could afford them FLOCKED to get them. Gr-gr-gramma loved her treadle because it made it so much easier to make the necessary stuff. And if it was good enough for gr-gr-gramma, it is sure good enough for me!!
I think that is a little harsh....can we not try to be a little kinder and gentler on this board....my goodness gracious....
Old 06-29-2011, 10:08 AM
Power Poster

I do how, what and where I want. I don't ask for opinoins because, I don't care what anyone else thinks. There is never just one way to do anything. Some people think they are much more important than they really are. Sad people.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:22 AM
Power Poster

You can't please everyone, you've got to please yourself!
Old 06-29-2011, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Linda71
My mother has a friend who quilts and she will not go to a quilt show because "People use MACHINES to quilt-That is not REAL quilting".
Yes, I know our ancestors, the first quilters, did it all by hand. But they also did thier laundry "by hand" on a washboard. I'm sure if they had a chance to speed up the process of quilting by using a machine they'd have jumped at the chance, just as they did with washing machines.

I agree, each to his own. For me it's machine quilting.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Deborahlees
What these narrow-minded, historically ignorant people don't realize is that "back in the olden days" women HAD to make quilts by hand because that was the only way to have bed coverings--they couldn't go to their local store and buy them. And that as soon as mechanical machines became available, including treadles, those who could afford them FLOCKED to get them. Gr-gr-gramma loved her treadle because it made it so much easier to make the necessary stuff. And if it was good enough for gr-gr-gramma, it is sure good enough for me!!
I think that is a little harsh....can we not try to be a little kinder and gentler on this board....my goodness gracious....[/quote]

Harsh? It's true. If historical accuracy is harsh, then don't read any history books, my dear.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:28 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

we have to remember that this board is for all of us. I am not a moderator but this post could quickly become deleted and then we all lose if this becomes a name calling & berating thread..

Everyone has an opinion, not everyone will like it or agree with it..
Old 06-29-2011, 10:38 AM

I truly believe "to each, his own". I enjoy learning new things, but I don't always change my way of doing something because I learned a new way to do it. I love traditional, but I also love being able to make quilts faster than I could 40 years ago.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:50 AM

You can't always hear voice tones when we type here. I try to read everything with a postive, then you hear the real voices. It's hard here. I read Gaigai's post and it made me smile. History is what it is. I handquilt and I machine quilt. If I say I won't ever...or never...it's because I dont' think I can ever be good enough to do it, not that I don't like it. Back to happy.....