Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
First of all, to each His/Her own!!! >

First of all, to each His/Her own!!!

First of all, to each His/Her own!!!

Old 06-29-2011, 10:52 AM

Oh yeah... now I am going to take my clothes out of my washer and go to the river. SOunds fun...SO glad we have progressed. They do that with stonewash jeans still. Just saying. HUGS♥♥

Hi JIngle.....
Old 06-29-2011, 11:04 AM

|And cook on a stick over the campfire!!!!God gave somebody the ability to invent these things so we should feel free to use them as we see fit.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:10 PM

I tried to teach my kids to never say "never" and never say "always", and then realized that I wasn't following my own advice!

And if that statement doesn't make sense, I was trying to teach that there are very few absolutes in life, and they should never say that they would 'never' do something, or 'never' like something, or that something could 'never' be true. The same thing goes for 'always'.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Zhillslady
Absolutely. I had a quilt teacher tell me yesterday I can't FMQ with Isacord polyester as we don't know how well it will hold up in 100 years. I love it and use it all the time.
Who CARES whether it will hold up well in 100 yrs or not? Your quilt is for you to enjoy now, because you sure won't be able to enjoy it in 2111!
Old 06-29-2011, 01:32 PM
Power Poster

I've had an older lady tell me in front of a group looking at the quilt I was showing that my quilt wasn't a real quilt because it was machined quilted and she was rather superior sounding about it. Everyone got silent. I smiled and told her I only make unreal quilts. I ignored her the rest of the day.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:50 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
we have to remember that this board is for all of us. I am not a moderator but this post could quickly become deleted and then we all lose if this becomes a name calling & berating thread..

Everyone has an opinion, not everyone will like it or agree with it..
i started to surgically edit to remove all the snarky bits.

changed my mind. i've already put in a full day at the office, and here.

let's all remember that it IS possible to express an opinion, or a counterpoint to somebody else's opinion without being nasty.

Please remember the dress code:

Plan to arrive dressed for a neighborhood block party. Please feel free to wear anything you like except the following:
-knotted shorts
-twisted knickers
-cranky pants
-sack cloth and ashes
-any variation or style of said articles of clothing

and no snooty shoes, either, please. they leave marks on the carpet.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:55 PM
Power Poster

I'm right there with you, linda71. Some people just limit themselves by doing this, That's okay, if they never want to be surprised at a new "anything". But please don't rain on my parade!
peace :D

as an aside, this was a livley discussion. I'm going to go try something new now!
Old 06-29-2011, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
we have to remember that this board is for all of us. I am not a moderator but this post could quickly become deleted and then we all lose if this becomes a name calling & berating thread..

Everyone has an opinion, not everyone will like it or agree with it..
i started to surgically edit to remove all the snarky bits.

changed my mind. i've already put in a full day at the office, and here.

let's all remember that it IS possible to express an opinion, or a counterpoint to somebody else's opinion without being nasty.

Please remember the dress code:

Plan to arrive dressed for a neighborhood block party. Please feel free to wear anything you like except the following:
-knotted shorts
-twisted knickers
-cranky pants
-sack cloth and ashes
-any variation or style of said articles of clothing

and no snooty shoes, either, please. they leave marks on the carpet.
You made me smile. I will keep this in mind the next time I go to a block party.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:12 PM

I agree to a point. I rarely say "I always" or "I never", but I do get real heartburn when I see some of the old traditional ways being modernized to the point of becomming unrecognizable. To me quilting is a joyrney not a destination. I don't think I have the "nads" to machine quilt a hand peiced quilt top. I know it happens. I will always support your right to do so, but I don't think you will ever see that from me. And because I like the old ways best (for me) faster is not always better. I also think that our work is being devalued (not that the mainstream ever really knew what the value was) by the "faster" methods. People think we can whip up an award winning queen sized quilt in several hours, so it can't cost that much. This is just my two cents. I do try the new methods, but always seem to go back to the traditional ways. I guess I am just an old fashioned girl.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:18 PM
Administrator

"old fashioned" keeps the traditions alive.

new methods attract new people to quilting, which will keep the art alive.

as long as the art lives, there will always be quilters who want to learn about that history. many will want to learn both old and new methods.

it's the circle of life illustrated by quilting. :-)