Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • First of all, to each His/Her own!!! >
  • First of all, to each His/Her own!!!

• First of all, to each His/Her own!!!

Old 06-29-2011, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by thequilterslink
    we were selling raffle tickets for our quilt and two ladies came by, said it was just beautiful, but NO way would they buy a chance ... it was not hand quilted, wasnt' a real quilt, I laughed at them, felt the quilt and said, Feels real to me????
    One woman in our group is doing the same thing. After giveing me a piece of her mind, she swore she'd not buy a chance and refused to sell any chances and has been badmouthing the quilt at every chance.
    Old 06-29-2011, 02:27 PM
    Power Poster

PatriceJ love it I will have to use the words next time my grandchildren give me a hard time. Just think what a great country this is where we can all agree or disagree, or agree to disagree. We have to do things the way that makes us feel good and happy. BrendaK
    Old 06-29-2011, 05:35 PM

If our great great grandmothers had had sewing machines, they would have used them too. If you like and you enjoy it, what's the harm? Go for it.!!!
    Old 06-29-2011, 05:58 PM

As a matter of fact, the instant our great great ancestors got their hands on a sewing machine, they started quilting with it. I've owned a couple of those quilts and seen many more.

As for me, I've had close to 40 years of learning new techniques and have had about enough.

I love the things being made with new techniques, each one is the product of hard work and creative spirit.

Still, I cherish the old names and stories, it would be a tragedy to lose them to new techniques.

I'm saying there's room for everthing under the sun. Love and support the effort, even if its not your favorite.
    Old 06-29-2011, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
    Unless it's in regard to a safety issue, I just don't listen when someone says to always or never do something. Generally they're just too full of their own importance. :lol:
    like she said,some rules were just meant to be broken
    Old 06-29-2011, 06:36 PM

I don't mind a bit when someone says "I always" or "I never". I prefer it if they offer an explanation of why they choose to do it that way. I then weigh that advice along with all the other opinions offered on the board and decide what to try. I've tried some thinks that work well for others, that just doesn't work well for me. On the other hand, I've done a few things that the majority didn't think would work and am happy with the results.

Think of quilting advice just like food advice. I always eat ketchup on french fries. That sure doesn't mean mustard won't work for you.
    Old 06-29-2011, 07:38 PM

I have no objection at all to someone saying "I always" or "I never", for that simply states their own preferred way of doing something. But when they tell you to always or never do something, they deny your right to make that choice for yourself. They are not offering advice, they are demanding obedience.
    Old 06-29-2011, 07:49 PM

I do's what I do's and happy I can
    Old 06-29-2011, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Linda71
    It always surprises me when someone says "I would NEVER do/try/use/ or whatever". My mother has a friend who quilts and she will not go to a quilt show because "People use MACHINES to quilt-That is not REAL quilting".

I will try any thread, material, technique, anything new or old, and I will use or do it. I love trying new and different things and materials and threads, whatever. The only requirement is I must ENJOY it.
    Right there with ya, sister!!!!!! And......I enjoy the "old fashioned and historical" just as passionately as the "new and different". It is all good.....as you all are....and I appreciate you all!!!!
    Old 06-29-2011, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by jlm5419
    Originally Posted by cjomomma
    I completely agree with you second paragraph.
    Some folks just get set in their ways and refuse to change or try something new.
    This reminds me of my oldest son, who is a terrific cook. One Thanksgiving dinner at my house he refused to eat any of my pies because I had used frozen pie crust!
    DH's sisters say I cheat when making pies b/c I use Pillsbury's crusts from the box. Cheating?? Never!! Smart? Yes, ma'am! I make many, many things from scracth but my pie crust sucks so why not use an aid that doesn't taste too bad? Work smarter, not harder!!