Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
First Impressions Ideas >

First Impressions Ideas

First Impressions Ideas

Old 03-23-2017, 04:03 PM

It's hard to say. Sometimes it's the design/pattern. Other times a bright color or fabric just seems to jump out. Sometimes it's the originality & great idea.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:18 PM

If I'm looking just for pleasure, I look at pattern first, then color, then if I really love it, the quilting. Who cares about the binding. If I'm considering buying, I look at color first.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:05 PM

It's usually color that grabs me first, and sometimes it grabs me in a bad way. If the colors clash or the overall look is just weird (to me) I don't try to analyze it any further, just kind of turn away mentally.
If the color is exciting, interesting or soothing, then I give a second look, and take in the pattern, quilting, and the general feel of the quilt. I would only notice the binding if it stood out in some way.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:33 PM

overall, color, pattern, quilting-----binding is a distant 5th! I've always heard that at big shows judges are very picky about binding as it can be a "deal breaker".

think it's like a woman dressed up--we notice overall, notice the dress (color), notice the fit(pattern), notice the quilting (accessorizing) and if we notice dirty nails it's like bad binding!
Old 03-23-2017, 07:44 PM

Honestly, I look at the quilting first, and the piecing, because I like to see if it is done by hand or machine. Then I look at the colors, pattern etc.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:25 AM

Being a LongArm quilter, I usually look at the overall quilt then get up close and look at the quilting.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:36 AM

I look at the pattern and try to figure out how it is put together, then I look at the colors and think about how different colors would effect the overall look, and also consider ways to make it easily. I do look at bindings, just to see if they've used a technique I don't know. I am an engineer, so I'm always more interested in how things are put together just by nature.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:52 AM

My first thought when you mention people looking at the binding before seeing the quilt is that these are the same people that upon entering a house, they check the top of the door jam for dust instead of being happy to visit the people. I would prefer not to know those folks!
Old 03-24-2017, 08:03 AM
Power Poster

Same here and am always impressed with the amount of work that went into it whether by hand or machine. I despise quilt police. Spent the last 2 weeks with my brother and his wife. She had a friend who was looking at an older quilt that belonged her mother made for her when she turned 13 as she did for all her girls when they turned 13. I saw the beauty and the love that went into it. Her friend (?) pointed out ?flaws?. I told her those were her mother's signature imprints of love. ALso told my sister-in-law not to allow quilt police in her home again. Rudeee!!!
Originally Posted by pewa88 View Post
I guess my first impression is an overall look. Nothing in particular that I take into account first. If I am interested in it then I do look for design, and especially block units.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:50 AM

I get an overall impression of the quilt, then look at the pattern, then the color. I like to know how they are made (I, too, am an engineer) then see if I think I would be able to replicate the pattern.