Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
First Impressions Ideas >

First Impressions Ideas

First Impressions Ideas

Old 03-23-2017, 08:13 AM

Default First Impressions Ideas

When you see a quilt anywhere, from guest bed to thrift store to quilt shows, what is the first thing you look at?
I look at the color and design, then the quilting pattern. I've heard of people looking straight at the binding and that made me gulp!
Just curious what you all look out for Hope none of you mind.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:31 AM

I usually look at the pattern first, then the color. I have never even looked at the binding. If it interests me enough t add to my "to do" list, then I ask to take a picture for future reference. I have a few pics that I have not been able to track down the names of the patterns. I don't know of a reason why anybody would think of the binding before overall quilt design.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:41 AM

I guess my first impression is an overall look. Nothing in particular that I take into account first. If I am interested in it then I do look for design, and especially block units.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:31 AM

I look at the color and design.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:36 AM

I always look at the color first. If I don't like the color/combinations of color then I look no further. If I like what I see in color then my second look is the pattern. I guess it's because I have such a difficult time with colors. But then my problem is that I want to make the quilt exactly as what I see because that's what I'm drawn to. I really need to branch out & find my own self. I never look at binding unless it's very unusual.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:03 AM

I definitely look at color first. If the quilt is muddy greens and browns, I don't even notice that it may have fabulous quilting, perfect piecing and a binding that goes with it perfectly. Doesn't matter to me if the quilt is traditional, contemporary or ultra-modern - I'm attracted by color combinations because that's my weakness in planning a quilt.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:59 AM

I don't see many quilts in person; does looking at photos count? I think I notice genre first -- is it modern, traditional, a baby quilt, an heirloom quality quilt, primitive or fancy, etc.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:09 PM

I always look at the color first and then if it isn't a color of my liking then I look at the pattern and visualize how the pattern would look in my color choices. I never really look at the quilting or binding.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:43 PM
Power Poster

I think I just get an overall impression, then I try and analyze what I like. Sometimes it's color or specific fabric, sometimes it's the pattern and sometimes it's the fabric placement.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:57 PM

I look at color, pattern and fabric quality. Then I look at quilting. i dont care about binding. even if it is worn on the edge, it is easy to rebind a quilt, but you cant change the colors easily.