Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
First Quilt >

First Quilt

First Quilt

Old 06-17-2020, 10:32 AM

Most folding tables aren't really sturdy enough, very few card tables are sturdy enough, and plenty of people could be great quilters if their machine wasn't bucking up and down like a bronco! Some are ok, the office level heavy weight ones are essentially permanent when set up, but can still be folded down.

Something like a pre-cut shelf board can be enough extra stabilizer for a lighter card table, and it will be flat when the rest of it is folded down.

My current sewing table is the short return from a computer desk combo. It is office weight and pretty sturdy but even so my heavy machine likes that shelf board even if my lightweight machine doesn't notice or need it (it was so lightweight I finally used blue tape to keep it where I wanted it). We got it from Craig's list, it came disassembled, still heavy and awkward as heck, but doable.
Old 06-17-2020, 11:41 AM
Power Poster

If you do go for a folding table, get one that has a top that does not "give" - DH bought one for me that is plastic and it "gives" when I cut - so then my cuts are off.
Old 06-17-2020, 11:49 AM

If you're willing to think outside the box, keep your eyes peeled for creative solutions, you might get something awesome. My son bought a solid wood door from a 2nd hand remodeling store (kind of like a Habitat for Humanity ReStore). He put one end on a 2-drawer filing cabinet, the other end on an iron base from a back yard patio set. The whole setup is solid and firm, and I think he paid $25 for all of it.
Old 06-18-2020, 12:37 PM

Here's my new sewing table.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The work table that should be more than sturdy enough for my sewing needs. I was totally surprised when my total, supposedly about $175, ended up being a little over $20.

The table has enough room for the sewing machine, a place to cut, and hopefully enough room on the end for a place to do ironing. And it fits perfectly in the area below my bedroom window. I can get my machine off of my kitchen table. Yippie!
In addition, after browsing about looking at peoples sewing rooms, it looks like the empty bookshelves right next to where this table will go, will be perfect for holding my fabric, and little containers of this and that.

So I think I've solved my sewing area problems for very little money. I just never thought of bookshelves for storing fabrics and other things.
Old 06-18-2020, 12:45 PM
Power Poster

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Maybe I read the ad incorrectly - but I'm understanding that there would be six payments of $26.61 plus shipping and handling?

Looks like it would be a nice table, though.
Old 06-18-2020, 01:07 PM

That's if you use their Amazon store card. I used my own visa debit for this purchase.
Old 06-18-2020, 01:14 PM
Power Poster

Heck of a deal then!
Old 06-18-2020, 05:44 PM

Looks like a great table! I have a small ikea computer desk that I use for both quilting and cutting. I use to use the back of an old painting on my bed to iron/press. I've upgraded to a cheap ironing board but sometimes you just have to make it work!

When you look at patterns I would actually recommend you not try that "beginner" quilt on page 3 right now. It's a sampler and you have to learn A LOT on each block and they are more complicated then you might think, I would have gotten very frustrated and quit if a sampler was my first quilt. And any quilt that has triangles, run away!!! I would recommend a simple quilt where it's mostly one block. As you make each block you will become more and more confident in your sewing. I would recommend one of the two following videos as they are more simple and have a full video on how to make the top. They are both jelly roll quilts so you can use your fabric rather than needing to buy some more. And Also, when learning to piece accurately, if you pick fabric that is more busy, or lots of similar colours you can hide mismatched points better as you are learning, ask me how I know lol

I'd also recommend making half the size to make it less overwhelming.

https://quiltingtutorials.com/tutori...ilt-with-jenny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHfIXnk_W4A

Go easy on yourself and try to have fun! For what it's worth I have never washed/dried any fabric and have great success in my quilts.
Old 06-18-2020, 06:21 PM

Both videos were great. Both seem to be fairly simple. But right now I do not have any white solid for placing between. I would have to purchase that. I agree that doing a smaller one, say 40x40 would be the best way to start. Doing a small one means I could do a second small one.
Old 06-19-2020, 04:35 AM

You don't have to put white in between at all! Just a contracting colour. If you have a lot of green for example you could use that, or use all lighter colours and use dark for the rest. The best part of making a quilt is you get to make it your own!