Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
First Quilt >

First Quilt

First Quilt

Old 06-19-2020, 07:03 AM

Right now I'm limited to the jellyroll and those botched squares. I'm using them to learn how to sew the scant 1/4 inch seam. I haven't even tried bias sewing. Need to get the basic seam down right now.

I will wait until the middle of next month to get more fabric before I attempt anything resembling a quilt. Right now I am making squares.

One reason for waiting is I am paying off the sewing machine, and that leaves nothing, or very little. I'll just keeping purchasing what I can, like the table I got for almost nothing. Next up are a good pair of scissors, a fat fabric marking and cutting ruler, and other little things that are needed in the kit.
Old 06-19-2020, 11:27 AM

Here's another of my blocks (#2). I still have a little wiggle in things, but am getting closer.
Attached Thumbnails block-2-small.jpg  
Old 06-19-2020, 11:39 AM

Your block looks great. I love the colors.
Old 06-19-2020, 03:47 PM

osewme, Thank you very much. Things are really slow, as I just came up with the idea of surrounding the original botched blocks with the new jelly roll strips. Takes a lot of time to measure things exactly

I just made my second block, then put the two together. Tomorrow I will try do double my productions between all the other things going on in my life. Still am having difficulty keeping a straight line, so my blocks are not going together without a little jostling

Maybe tomorrow things will improve.

And I cannot seem to get rid of the wrinkles from the fabric washing. I pressed things, but those wrinkles don't seem to want to disappear.
Attached Thumbnails double-block-small.jpg  
Old 06-20-2020, 05:39 PM

Your blocks are beautiful and look well sewn! I especially like the floral prints. A block a day and you'll be done before the months out.

Is your iron a good quality iron with a steam blast? I find it helps to get the worse wrinkles out. My first iron was $10 and didn't get anything out. lol
Old 06-20-2020, 06:01 PM

lizzie3, Thanks for the tip about the steam. I purchased a Black and Decker steam iron, so it should do the job. Just didn't press the steam button but once, and that blew out some pretty hot steam that got my fingers. Guess I might need to wear gloves when pushing the steam function button.

I did four blocks today, and squared them up to make sure they were uniform size. Really only took very tiny bits off the sides. I hae six of these blocks sewn together in a strip. I will be trying to do six tomorrow. I've already picked out the center blocks and the colours to border them. Some are fairly difficult, as they only have two central block colours.

Will post another picture when I get a four by six done.
Old 06-22-2020, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by CaleyH View Post
I tried my first block quilt. It was a total disaster with almost none of the seams intersecting. Might have gotten 10 percent to line up. Also had way fabric. In other words, the pieced together squares would not lay flat, regardless of whether I ironed it.

So I will try salvaging the blocks , and use them for some other project.

What I would like to know is if I should purchase from "Connecting Threads", one of their lap quilt kits. I've looked at them, and they seem to be very complete, and give good instructions. They also list whether the project is easy, intermediate or advanced.

Of course, I need to get one that is easy, or if they have one that is called extremely easy. Anyone ever tried one of these kits? And if so, what would your recommend for someone who basically has only hand sewn in their life.

Also, do you suggest any of the squares or rolls of pre-cut material? I'm not very good with colours. I tend to have difficulty seeing the difference in shades of the same colour, unless they difference is extreme.

Anyway, I would love to hear from thsoe who have dealt with "Connecting Threads", as that is probably going to be my source for fabric and other things they sell. Amazon, which I have used for years is just too difficult to figure out.
I have purchased several times from Connecting Threads, although I have not purchased any pre-cuts or kits. I like to cut my own fabric; if it doesn't turn out, then it is my fault. I have been pleased with both the fabric and customer service from them.
Old 06-22-2020, 09:48 AM

Dee1245, Yes, I now, based particularly on customer service, shop with "Connecting Threads" I like the fact they have pretty much everything needed to make quilts.

After watching a lot more videos, I learned I need a lot more accessories (notions?) for working with the blocks create. Apparently most people aren't perfect sewing their fabrics together, so careful trimming of those blocks before the next sewing is a must.

The current set of blocks I am creating are just waiting on the 7.5 inch square cutting template. Once those are all trimmed to exactly 7.5 inches, I can sew in the next step. Might not be exactly what is the way it is supposed to go, but it should ensure everything matches up
Old 06-23-2020, 01:53 PM

There sure is a lot to learn about sewing on a machine, and quilting.

This morning I tried to change the bobbin, and ran into two hours of frustration. I tried everything, but change the needle. When I changed the needle, all the problems disappeared. Seems the needle only lasted for that one bobbin full of thread. Now I see why some suggested I purchase a 100 pack of the most used needles.

I also finished my 36th block. So I have a stack of them I need to trim even on all sides, as some of my strips were not measured the best. Thanks goodness 90 percent of the length problems are being too long. I had to resew a few strips due to their shortness, though they were only less than 1/16 short; still usable.

Last thing discovered is that I noticed that my sew line was straighter when I placed my left hand firmly on the material being fed through the needle. If I didn't, the fabric feed dogs tended to make the fabric wobble back and forth. So, with my right fingers holding light tension on the fabric, and left stabilising the fabric to the left of the needle, the fabric feed was more accurate.

Right now I am still waiting on a neutral fabric I can use between the blocks. That's the problem when you don't have a stash. :-)
Old 06-23-2020, 04:04 PM

I just finished trying to true up all the blocks I created. Out of 36 blocks, I probably had six that might have passed the experienced quilters standards. Those six were the only truly square, and properly sized blocks. I ended up truing one side, then adjusting one side, and cutting that. Once I had two trued sides, I was able to remove 1/8 inch or less from the other two sides to get the remaining blocks the same size.

Orientation of the strips within those blocks is a tiny bit off because I apparently cannot sew straight. So much for my thinking I had found the proper way to hold the fabric while putting it through the sewing machine.

Looks like I will have to create another dozen or so blocks to ensure I have enough of the correct size to finish my small quilt front

Not sure why I cannot manage to create square blocks like most quilters. Could be bad lighting, or just my poor eyesight, or a combination of both, as well as still not knowing how to feed the fabric through the machine. Will keep trying. Maybe something will dawn on me, and I will get things going correctly.