Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
First Quilt >

First Quilt

First Quilt

Old 06-25-2020, 03:17 PM

I've made face masks for kids with Congenial Heart Defects for years & I always use the Crayola Ultra-Clean Washable Markers on them for tracking my templates & marking sizes, etc. I've never had a problem with them washing out. Here's a test I did on a white piece of fabric.
The first picture is with the fabric marked with the markers. I decided to iron the bottom section before washing to see if the heat would set the colors in.
The second picture is after I washed the fabric. I had no problem with the ironed or un-ironed marks washing out. The red was a little stubborn and the last to come out but still, it washed out. I washed it by hand in a small bowl with Dawn soap.
Sorry about the third picture. It was suppose to show the Crayola Box so you would know what I was using but somehow it didn't show up in the picture. Maybe it was too large & didn't get in. I can send another picture of the box if you need for me to.

P.S. As the markers were disappearing I had to quickly cut off a little piece from the bottom left hand side of the fabric so I would know what was the front side of the fabric with the markings.....
Attached Thumbnails unwashed-washable-markers.jpg   washed-washable-markers.jpg   ultra-clean-washable-markers-crayola-.jpg  

Last edited by osewme; 06-25-2020 at 03:24 PM.
Old 06-25-2020, 03:33 PM

osewme, For a second I thought I had those markers, but what I have are Crayola Classic Broad Line Markers. Supposedly they wash out, but I would imagine they take several washings to completely get washed away.

Right now I am building my payday wish list for notions, and fabrics
Old 06-25-2020, 04:11 PM

Here's the picture of the box that I use. The box has 10 colors in it but I have 11 in the picture. One is left over from an older box that I used up.

Attached Thumbnails crayolas.jpg  
Old 06-25-2020, 04:30 PM

Here's a link for the type of markers I use: https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=OkD1Xt3rNdDk-gT4_6GwDQ&q=chaco+chalk+roller+markers&oq=chaco+markers&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQARgBMgYIABAWEB4yBggAEBYQHjoFCAA QsQM6AggAOgUIABCDAToICAAQFhAKEB5Q2akIWPemCWDo0wloA HAAeACAAaQCiAHBDJIBBTQuOC4xmAEAoAEBqgEHZ3dzLXdpeg&sclient=psy-ab. Although if you're marking the whole quilt you might want to mark only a few lines, sew those, then mark a few more, since they're chalk, it isn't permanent.

Last edited by pocoellie; 06-25-2020 at 04:32 PM.
Old 06-25-2020, 06:33 PM

Regarding needles: I actually preferred topstitch needles when I was quilting on my DSM. They have a larger eye and scarf, which is an indentation that runs down the needle. The thread tucks into this indentation, which protects it from some friction as the needle moves in and out of the fabric. I found that a size 16 or 18 worked best for me.
Old 06-27-2020, 08:10 PM

osewme, Yes, you were right on about the needle position for the auto threader. I waited until I got all my sewing done before checking. I just pushed the up/down button to get the needle to the correct up position. Threader worked just fine. I sure am happy I didn't break anything.
Old 06-28-2020, 04:26 AM

So glad the needle threader works again for you! The first time that happened to me I was mad at myself because I thought I had broken the threader. I kept looking at how that threader works & saw a tiny wire like looking thing that actually slips through the eye of the needle & realized that it wasn't lined up exactly with the eye of the needle. At first I thought my needle had come loose & had dropped down a bit so I took my needle out & pushed it up as far as it would go & tightened the needle screw. Still, that did not work. I finally discovered the needle was not positioned in the complete "up" position so I did like you....pushed the up/down button & low & behold it worked. Turning your machine off & then back on again should reposition the needle also.
Old 06-28-2020, 05:16 AM

Late to this thread but it looks like the other members have taken great care of you, CaleyH!

I second the idea of using a walking foot for your first quilting experience. Donna Jordan has a great video called "Drunken Quilting" that might go well with your pattern where she uses the walking foot. I'll leave the link, below.

None of us get perfect blocks, heck right now I am having to re-sew all the seams on 30 blocks that I thought were done because I didn't realize the bobbin thread was messed up until I went to sew them together into a quilt top! And I've been at this quilting thing for awhile, so don't think other people don't goof. We do.

Have fun and keep asking questions and posting pics of your progress.

Watson

Donna Jordan's Video
Old 06-28-2020, 02:36 PM

First quilt top is done. I like how it looks colour wise. But because of my having to trim each block down a little so that all the blocks were the same size, the technical aspect was pretty bad. I am guessing that I had 20 percent of the main seams match up. So most are about 1/8 inch off.

Along with finishing, I finally learned that sewing on a machine at a lower height is best for me. I was able to see things a lot easier, and also could manipulate the fabric better, so I could get those consistent 1/4 inch seams. Today my seams were probably 90 percent on when it came to 1/4 inch.

Sorry for the poor picture. Lighting inside my house is not great, especially with the clouds and howling wind causing the sunlight to be bad.
Attached Thumbnails first-finished-quilt-top-small.jpg  
Old 06-28-2020, 02:44 PM
Power Poster

Seems like you have learned a lot since you started. You have progressed nicely!

The top is pretty - the solids look great around the center florals.

All my sewing surfaces are about the height of "typewriter stand" - I agree, it is much easier to sew on a lower surface. Don't know how you managed on a high table!