Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
First Quilt >

First Quilt

First Quilt

Old 06-29-2020, 03:04 AM

Grats to you, you are off and running!

While maybe you are still seeing your imperfections, the rest of us are standing back applauding because our first quilts didn't look anything so good!
Old 06-29-2020, 04:06 AM

Your top looks great, Caley.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:47 AM

Thanks Everyone. I'm hoping that the next quilt top will be a little closer to where things intersect properly. But I am happy with my first try.

I still haven't a clue as to what colour material to use for the backing. Would that purplish (plum?) colour be OK for this first one. I do have the cotton batting. Just need to find a back to use
Old 06-29-2020, 07:58 AM

How are you planning to finish the top? I spent my first decade or two of yarn ties, and the last couple of decades machine finishing.

My advice is whatever you start with -- choose a busy print! They hide all sorts of things. Few things show all our imperfections as clearly as a plain solid... but on the other hand for a simple grid a slightly stiff sheet can really help a quilter.

The combination of batting and backing and top is another whole set of preferences. While some times you want that stiffer bottom, other times you want soft and bunchy, but until you know what you like to use and what you like to work with (it's wonderful when both coincide!), it's going to be a lot of trial and error. I like a combination of higher loft poly batts and less quilting than is currently popular/standard with warm and natural. Is just a preference, but I am in the minority on this one!

I still haven't tried the glue basting so many people here love, I want to but my friends keep handing me partially used cans of spray. If you go that route, make sure you get the quilting adhesive spray -- not all spray adhesives are suitable. Before spray I used safety pins.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:07 AM

Iceblossom, don't understand what you mean by finishing the top. Based on what the others said, all I basically need is to add the cotton batting, and the backing, and then add the binding. Maybe I misunderstood, or it more than likely means I am not understanding all that goes into a quilt.

I am wondering if you mean quilt border sashing. I'd have to find something online like you are saying; busy floral print?

Please let me know what I am missing. Thanks
Old 06-29-2020, 08:20 AM

Sorry, how will you be holding the layers together? There needs to be something to stabilize, usually quilting whether by hand or machine. Yarn ties and buttons and many other options also exist.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:43 AM
Power Poster

You have the right idea of the three layers that go into a quilt:

the top that you just pieced - sometimes called a "flimsy"
the batting that goes between the top and bottom layers - also called "wadding" in some countries
the backing/bottom layer

Then one has to decide how to hold the three layers together so they don't shift and bunch up while being used.

There are usually two stages of holding the three la years together -

1) The first stage is pinning and/or basting - the preliminary/temporary step before the "permanent" holding the layers together.
There are several ways of temporarily holding the layers together - pinning, basting, and "spray basting" - which is a temporary/washable glue that goes away when the quilt is washed.

2) The "permanent" holding of the layers together -
A) Tying
B) Hand quilting
C) Machine quilting

And there are various ways of doing any and all the above.

Last edited by bearisgray; 06-29-2020 at 08:46 AM.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:45 AM

Iceblossom, I thought you just pinned the three layers all over the place that you aren't sewing. Since it was suggested I quilt corner to corner, then I would leave enough space down that line from corner to corner to allow the machine needle space to work without hitting the pins. I've thousands of pins accumulated since I was in the military starting in the late 60's. Funny how almost every garment has a safety pin or some kind of pin, and I just kept throwing them into a box.
Old 06-29-2020, 11:45 AM

OK, I decided to just use a light blue with white back ground with black lines fabric I purchased at Walmart. It's as close to a floral pattern I could find/ It's a pseudo paisley type pattern. I had just enough fabric to make a back from that.

I also, roughly cut out the batting material, leaving it over sized. Do you cut the batting fairly close to the size of the front, or leave it over sized? I am having trouble centering the backing to the front, even though that backing is also over sized.

The only thing I can think of is to start in one corner, setting the backing fabric and batting about an inch out from the front quilt corner, then pin it all the way down both sides. Then I can work my way across the whole thing, pinning as I go until I reach all the remaining corners.

I sure wish I had a table big enough for doing this work. Doing it on the floor is real fun.
Old 06-29-2020, 12:27 PM

I work on top of my bed, Caley, a bit easier for me. I cover it with a couple layers of brown kraft paper (I have a roll of it, reuse until it gets flimsy or otherwise needs replacing), that give enough of a surface that I can skate my pins off the top of it, or you can carefully put your cutting mat in the middle to start with.

Most of us start from the middle, that is you layout the backing right side down, and then loosely position the batting. Fold the batting in half, and secure the bottom layer -- canned goods work on the floor. Blue tape is one of my quilting essentials! Gravity can help if you do it on a table. Big old safety pins stuck into a foam mattress also work, but I don't ever do any actual work on my water bed. Working in about 1 foot wide sections, put down your glue or spray, pull the batting over, pat down, fold back, work forward. Then do the same for the reverse. While things are still damp/loose turn over and make any corrections you may need to make.

When using pins, you typically don't have the extra ability to work those first two layers together. Again, spread out that bottom layer and secure it. Spread out the batting, I use my 6x24 ruler as a wiper blade. Then the top, as smooth as you can get, tugging on that bottom to make sure it is behaving. Pin, goal is to yes, give yourself space to work but about ever 4-5 inches.

Now, take a look at the back and hope for the best. Is amazing the worst that can happen though... Decide on what you can/need to fix.

Edit/PS: I air fluff my poly battings just a bit before I lay them out to get rid of any packing creases. Only a couple minutes, only on fluff -- no heat. Bonded cotton battings I'll usually throw in the dryer with a damp towel on a tiny amount of heat.