Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
first sewing machine >

first sewing machine

first sewing machine

Old 07-28-2011, 03:36 AM

I'd keep using the Bernina 830 and save for a different machine. You likely will not like a $200 machine after stitching on the Bernina. The 830 was a top of the line machine when I bought mine in 1975 and it still outstitches my Janome 6500 that I paid $2000 for. My daughter complained bitterly when I sent her home to make her doggie stuff on a newish $150 Brother after using my 830 Bernina. She has now kidnapped my Husqvarna Prelude 350 which she claims is OK but still not the same.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:43 AM

I have a Kenmore that I have had for about 10 yrs that still works great and has given me no problems. I think I paid around $300 for it.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:43 AM

The Bernette look so cool and I admit, you're probably right. I wouldn't like anything else. I've only ever sewn on Berninas, including my aunt's new 830 and only let me watch her use her baby, a Bernina 830 LE. I guess I would say we're Bernina fans.

Does anyone have a bernette? It looks kind of small to quilt on, but I guess I could always do that on my mom's machine if I had to. And the closest dealer is an hour and a half away, so I want to know what I want before I drag my mom down there
Old 07-28-2011, 03:54 AM

Hi, Since you live close to the Stroudsburg area, you could go to Pocono Sew and Vac, they have a large selection of machines available and you could find something in your price range. I bought all my Janome's there and never had a problem . Good Luck. they are great pople to deal with.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:09 AM

Sarah.....put an ad on CL for a free or reasonably priced SM. My suggestion would be a Singer 301, they sew a beautiful stitch, light enough to take to a class and can FMQ. Attachments such as walking foot etc can be found "cheap" on the web. You could get lucky enough to get one with all the attachments included. Did I mention it is easy to service too? You would still have $ to buy a used more modern SM. Just my .02 worth. Good luck!

neenee
Old 07-28-2011, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by neenee586
Sarah.....put an ad on CL for a free or reasonably priced SM. My suggestion would be a Singer 301, they sew a beautiful stitch, light enough to take to a class and can FMQ. Attachments such as walking foot etc can be found "cheap" on the web. You could get lucky enough to get one with all the attachments included. Did I mention it is easy to service too? You would still have $ to buy a used more modern SM. Just my .02 worth. Good luck!

neenee
I agree!
Old 07-28-2011, 05:11 AM

If you have a 'dream machine', go to a dealer of that brand and look for a good used machine. Knowing you might move up sometime in the future that dealer will probably be very helpful.

My dealer shares her store with a repairman. I'm comfortable with anything there.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:41 AM

I absolutely wouldn't buy a new Singer, an old one yes. Does your mom want her Bernina back? I think you would be better off getting it serviced, or does it not have the features you want? I can't image that it doesn't have the features that a MUCH low-end machine would have, in my opinion.

I would also go to a dealer and see what they have, test drive a few that have the features you want. They may even have a higher end trade in for a very reasonable price.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:26 AM

Depends on how much money you want to spend.
My first machine is a Brother quilting machine that came with a walking foot and a table and all the feet for quilting. It was a great beginner machine and only cost $129. It never needs seviceing and is my old stand by when my fancy computer machine is in the shop.
The only thing it lacks is the needle down function.
I've heard alot of complaints about Singer.
Bernina seems to be the one that owners like the best but they are so much more expensive.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:31 AM

I have heard good things about the Janome Jem Gold and it comes in right at $200.