Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
first sewing machine >

first sewing machine

first sewing machine

Old 07-27-2011, 08:11 PM

So I'm already looking for a Christmas present for me from my parents (the only thing I'm gonna ask for!) and I want to do my research. What would be the best sewing machine I could get for $200 or less (the lower the more likely I'll get it). I'm currently using my mom's machine, an old Bernina 830 and I know nothing will compare.

I've read that Singers are great and that they are horrible, the same with Brothers.

I don't use many decorative stitches, mostly the running stitch and the wavy stitch, but I can do without the wavy stitch. It can be electronic or not, I don't really care, I just want one of my own that will last a little while
Old 07-27-2011, 08:41 PM
Power Poster

I wouldn't get a Singer in that price range. A lot of people like Brother in that price range. Also, check at Sears as the machines they sell under the Kenmore brand are supposed to be Janome. Janome has a good reputation, and you can get more bang for your buck with the Kenmore branding.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:12 PM
Cyn

Keep looking around and try them if you can to see how they fit you :)
Old 07-27-2011, 09:18 PM

In that price range I would visit a dealer and look for a good used machine. The older machines were made better than the new ones and a good, older, used machine will serve you much longer and more efficiently than any of the new lower price point machines. JMHO.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:55 PM

Definitely check with a dealer and I would go for a Janome in that price range. If there is not a dealer close to you, www.kenssewingcenter.com is a great dealer and have excellent support.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
I wouldn't get a Singer in that price range. A lot of people like Brother in that price range. Also, check at Sears as the machines they sell under the Kenmore brand are supposed to be Janome. Janome has a good reputation, and you can get more bang for your buck with the Kenmore branding.
I agree with the Kenmores made by Janome. I got one, it's at my summer house so I can't give you the model number. I paid about $179 on sale and the comparable Janome was over $100 more!
Old 07-27-2011, 10:55 PM

Check craigslist if you can't find a good used machine dealer.
I buy machines for my classes on craigslist all the time.

Julia
Old 07-27-2011, 11:52 PM

good luck.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:40 AM

sarahrachel let me just start off by saying hi and I used to live in Lehigh Valley, in S. Bethlehem. I miss that area. I haven't been back in a few years but man it was exploding when I was there!

I'm going to have to agree with some others here and say try to hit a few of the sewing machine shops and see what they have available. Also make sure you tell them that you want a walking foot as well if you are planning on doing a bit of quilting.. and a 1/4" piecing foot...

My local dealer usually has some inexpensive machines, under $250 or so. It is worth looking at them. Also, Walmart sells a Brother for under $200 that is really nice. It has the extension table, walking foot, etc. It's really a great set up for a beginning machine and you can't go wrong with it at all.

Also... you've got some great second hand stores in town too. You might be able to score a workhorse that way - and you've got a freecycle group (freecycle.org) You might be able to get a free one and save some money for supplies or to set aside for your dream machine :)
Old 07-28-2011, 02:40 AM

That's a tough one. Bernina does make a good cheap machine. Its the Bernette 46. We usually sell it at 175 and sometimes as low as 150. Its pretty hardy for that price. Good luck!