Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
First Sewing Machine >

First Sewing Machine

First Sewing Machine

Old 03-17-2014, 06:27 AM

Agree with everyone else. A basic straight stitch and zig-zag is all a beginner really needs. The only other suggestion I have is to find a drop-in bobbin. They are so much easier for beginners to manuver.

And good for you helping another seamstress/quilter in the making!
Old 03-17-2014, 06:33 AM

If you're a Costco member, Costco has some great beginner machines, all with low prices. I think most have to be ordered off Costco.com, but the nice thing is that wonderful Costco return policy if it breaks!

Have fun!
Old 03-17-2014, 06:48 AM
Power Poster

I bought my grandaughter the Janome Hello Kitty machine, it was about $300. It is a Janome Jem , just has the HK logo. It's been through the wringer and still works great.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid View Post
Janome jen is another good machine for beginners.
I agree...I have a Janome Platinum which is similar. I am very impressed with that little machine..
Old 03-17-2014, 07:06 AM

My grands learned to sew on a 35 year old Kenmore zigzag machine found at a thrift store for $35. It is heavy, sturdy, and reliable, and it would be hard to break it unless dropped or deliberately misused.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:03 AM

A basic Bernett will sew forever! She could pass nit on to her grand-daughter.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by HillCountryGal View Post
Agree with everyone else. A basic straight stitch and zig-zag is all a beginner really needs. The only other suggestion I have is to find a drop-in bobbin. They are so much easier for beginners to manuver.

And good for you helping another seamstress/quilter in the making!

And I completely disagree. I've ruined one drop in bobbin machine by letting it suck a piece of bias tape down the hole. Don't know exactly happened since it happened so quickly, but it bent the whole thing out of shape and I haven't yet been able to pound it back into shape
Old 03-19-2014, 04:02 AM

I agree, skip the embroidery part unless you are footing the bill for all of the supplies needed.$$$$$$

Embroidery is something she can strive for later as her skills develop. Hand embroidery is hot right now, btw.

Sandy
Old 03-19-2014, 04:50 AM

I was sewing by the time I was 10 years old. Back then, we didn't have embroidery machines or any fancy stitches. By the time the zigzag and cam machines came out, I was 20. I immediately bought one. Looking back, if I had the embroidery machine, with all the knowledge of computers that youngsters have these days, I would probably have been digitizing or own my own 10 needle embroidery business by now.

Having said all that, I love my Brother Runway machine I purchased at WalMart. It is lightweight, doesn't move around when you sew on it, and the decorative stitches are wonderful. It is a great starter machine. She will learn a lot on it and use it for many years. I, also, have my big Brother, Innovis D 4000. It is a wonderful embroidery machine and sews a great quarter inch seam. I don't try to pack the big one around. It just weighs too much.

As to the top loading bobbin, my Singer Golden Touch & Sew I bought about 1970, had one of the first one of those. I bought one and fell totally in love with that front loading bobbin. I have never regretted it for one instant even though I have had some minor problems with thread getting hung down in it a few times. It is so much more simpler when you can see what you are doing. I just pulled out the bobbin, the bobbin holder and used my tweezers to get everything out. Piece of cake to fix it.

Congrats to you for getting this young girl going in sewing. This is one gift she will remember all her life. Of course, you know she will want to go through your stash as soon as she has something to sew with. What a great time you two will have!
Old 03-19-2014, 05:53 AM

I also recommend the Brother CS6000i. I recently gave mine to my niece and nephew (ages 8 & 11) and it's a great machine for people that age. It has lots of modern features like drop-in bobbin, clip-on feet and needle up/down buttons so it's easy to use. Lightweight. Easy to thread. Uses common bobbins. And I don't know about your granddaughter but my niece & nephew LOVE the decorative stitches that it comes with.

They love that thing. Best gift I ever gave them!