Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: first time w Elmer's glue

first time w Elmer's glue

I have been reading about all the uses with Elmer's Glue on this site, soooo I thought I would give it a try putting a patch on the knee of my hubby's jeans.

Well, thank you, thank you girls, that was the easiest patch I ever sewed on his jeans and it looked darn good.

Turned a 1/4 " under the patch and glued then glued it onto the knee and zigzagged all it.

Elmer's School Glue is wonderful!

I am making my first quilt and basted the top, batting and back with Elmer's. This is not hard!!

I am addicted to Elmer's Washable Glue & use it for many of my sewing/quilting projects !

I love Elmers!!!!

I'm also loving the washable glue stick for smaller projects.

Blog Entries
    I have four more scrappy hot pads to bind. I'm using Elmer's on them and it goes sooo much smoother!

Now is the time to stock up!!! All the stores have great prices on the school glue for the beginning of the school year.
    Busy in Ohio

Blog Entries
    Elmer's school glue, a great time saver

Blog Entries
    I haven't used it to make the quilt sandwich yet, but will most likely never, ever do a binding again without it. It allows me to so perfectly place the binding that I am amazed!
    Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!

Blog Entries
    Elmer's all purpose glue will hold patches without sewing. When DH was in the military, being a young wife and we were broke, he was having to change rank patches every few months. Those things then were impossible to hand sew. I used Elmer's All purpose glue when he had to have the new rank patch for the next day for a detail. Those patches stayed on through washing and drying and heavily starched ironing. I didn't know at the time that the patches had to be sewn. His never frayed to be noticeable they weren't. Thankfully he got high enough rank I could afford to have them sewn on like they should be. I don't know how the rank patches are now, I hope not as thick and hard as they use to be.
    Got fabric?

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    Elmer's all purpose glue will hold patches without sewing. When DH was in the military, being a young wife and we were broke, he was having to change rank patches every few months. Those things then were impossible to hand sew. I used Elmer's All purpose glue when he had to have the new rank patch for the next day for a detail. Those patches stayed on through washing and drying and heavily starched ironing. I didn't know at the time that the patches had to be sewn. His never frayed to be noticeable they weren't. Thankfully he got high enough rank I could afford to have them sewn on like they should be. I don't know how the rank patches are now, I hope not as thick and hard as they use to be.
    Amazing! Wow. I didn't think it would be that strong that it would last through even though it says "permanent bond" (the all purpose kind, not the washable kind, of course!)

I love, love, LOVE Elmer's School Glue. I can't see ever going back to thread basting or pinning for anything!

I LOVE Elmer's, it's making me actually get to the quilting portion of my projects. I hated sandwiching so much I just had a big ol' stack of quilt tops.

Blog Entries
    I enjoyed using Elmer's, too, but knocked the timing out on my machine. The machine didn't like it...and I used just a tad and ironed it dry before sewing. The shop was able to fix it, but mentioned that there are glues made for sewing and that as the machine goes through the glue, the needle heats up due to the friction. The repair person suggested I buy titanium needles if I continued to use glue. So, don't know if this story is about friction or if it is about fiction, but for now, no more glue for me. :-(
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by coopah View Post
    I enjoyed using Elmer's, too, but knocked the timing out on my machine. The machine didn't like it...and I used just a tad and ironed it dry before sewing. The shop was able to fix it, but mentioned that there are glues made for sewing and that as the machine goes through the glue, the needle heats up due to the friction. The repair person suggested I buy titanium needles if I continued to use glue. So, don't know if this story is about friction or if it is about fiction, but for now, no more glue for me. :-(
    I've been using Elmer's to baste for awhile now. I apply it in big loops and if I have any 'globs', I smooth them down with the back of a spoon. I also use titanium needles exclusively.
    Pat

Power Poster
    I haven't tried it yet, but as soon as I'm able to get out and about I plan on buying some to try, as it sounds like a great tool for quilting as well as sewing.

Don't need "Elmers"---store brand works too

Quote Originally Posted by scarlet14 View Post
    Don't need "Elmers"---store brand works too
    as long as it's "washable"

Is the CLEAR washable Elmer's the same as the white?

Blog Entries
    I use titanium coated needles, never buy any other kind. They stay sharp almost forever!
    Got fabric?

what am i missing out on?

I've been quilting for many, many years, but have never heard of using Elmer's glue to baste a quilt. I know it's used for applique, but how -- exactly -- does one baste with it? I've always used sprays, (except for the early days when I broke my back safety pinning every inch or so). please enlighten me

I have a slight problem. For years, my husband has accepted my days when I must spend time with John, Deere. He knows he comes second at times, it's just a fact of his life.
    Now there is another. It works out nice, usually John, Deere has days in the summer, and Elmer has times when it's colder.
    Poor hubby
    You know that feeling when you've finished all your quilting projects and your studio is perfectly clean???? Me neither.

It's not how fast you sew, it's how well you sew fast! Wait, I think that's supposed to be MOW!

Wow, I just learned something new...I had no idea there was any such thing as titanium needles! Are they less prone to bending?

I have used Elmer's a good bit now and love it too! Although I don't like it as much for binding, I seem to do better without it for that step. It's great for sandwiching and for holding bias-cut pieces together so they don't stretch too much - I used it a lot on the last OBW quilt I did and it was really helpful.

I just have to watch it when I'm sandwiching...if I put it on too heavy for that initial layer it soaks through onto my floor! It's laminate so no harm done, I just have to remember to mop right away or I end up with weird spots of dog hair stuck to the floor. LOL! Fortunately it comes right off with just some warm water and a mop, but it was pretty funny figuring out why I had some sort of gross dog-hair art project going on all over my livingroom floor!

I have found that Elmer's Washable School Glue is available in Australia in two types.

Clear:

https://www.officeworks.com.au/retai...lues/JA0366860

And No Run:

https://www.officeworks.com.au/retai...lues/JA0366870

Which is the one that most people here use? It's interesting that although both of the types linked are close in the price, one has almost double the quantity.
    ~: Ron :~

"You cut up fabric then sew it back together again? Really?"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast