Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
using elmer's glue to baste for the first time >

using elmer's glue to baste for the first time

using elmer's glue to baste for the first time

Old 10-10-2013, 03:52 PM

Default using elmer's glue to baste for the first time

I am using Elmer's school glue to baste my quilt layers - for the first time. I am using low loft batting and the glue is coming through the batting... is that a problem? Also, is letting this dry for 18 hours or so enough time before I start to quilt? Should I leave the quilt layers lay flat to dry? I am thinking that in the morning I will flip it over to have the opposite side down. Do you have any suggestions before I get any farther along?
Old 10-10-2013, 07:44 PM

If your glue is coming through the batting, it may be applied too heavy. All you need is a very thin line (like a pencil lead) and maybe every 4". Small dots also work. If its too thick, you'll probably be OK as long as you can sew through the dried glue. Yes, leave dry overnight, flip it over and do the same thing. I get the piece all lined up on the batting. Then I carefully fold back half, apply the glue (thinly, hold bottle a few feet high and dribble while moving). Smooth the fabric down securely. Then fold over the other half. Anything that soaks through or looks like a glue mark will come out when it's washed.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:26 AM

Does anyone ever leave the glue in their quilt? I am not one to wash a finished quilt and because I mostly make wall hanging sized quilts, I've never found the need to wash them. Will leaving the glue in hurt the fabrics in the long run?

Thanks.

Anita
Old 10-11-2013, 03:01 AM

Thank you for your reply.. I was probably putting it on too heavy as I am nervous this first time I will see how it goes when I put it on the machine to quilt
Old 10-11-2013, 06:30 AM
Power Poster

I'm quilting one right now that has the glue come through to the top. It hasn't caused a problem. I always wash the quilt when I'm finished and the glue washes out. I dilute my glue with a tiny bit of water. This lets the glue stream out easy. I use a lot of glue when basting. I want my quilt top and back not to shift or have any slack.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:41 AM

I dry iron my quilts when I glue baste them to quickly dry the glue. I can then quilt it by machine or start hand quilting it. The glue dries very quickly using an iron. I learned though, to make sure to dry iron it. Steam keeps the glue tacky. I also wash mine when I finish because I want the glue out and I have markings that need to be removed.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:20 PM

Tried the glue for the first time yesterday on a baby quilt--I had been very skeptical, but it worked like a charm and washed out easily and completely. I'm sold! Some of my fabrics were solids, and I could see the glue lines on the top as I quilted, but they caused no problems.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:55 AM

I also iron my quilts after using the glue.
I table baste my quilts and after I have an area glued, I iron it to set it. I've only had one time where the glue came through the top fabric but I was using junky broadcloth to just practice quilting on... I'm definitely not going to use junky broadcloth again for anything... In fact, I still haven't done my practice piece with that junky broadcloth.

I just saw this link (thanks to someone here on the board) about using tape to make a thinner tip... http://www.favecrafts.com/Techniques...ip-Glue-Bottle I'm going to give that a try the next time I baste a quilt which should be this week...
Old 10-14-2013, 07:13 AM

I finished my quilt with the Elmer's glue and it worked wonderfully! I could see the glue lines but it didn't bother me. Everything washed out beautifully. I will definitly do this again... much cheaper and there is no smell! I did wish that I could apply more even. Does anyone have tips on how to apply evenly? I tried using a piece of fabric to spread it out, but I sort of made a big mess. Any ideas?