Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
First timer to hand quilt on 80 yr old quilt top.  Need advise! >

First timer to hand quilt on 80 yr old quilt top. Need advise!

First timer to hand quilt on 80 yr old quilt top. Need advise!

Old 09-09-2018, 04:23 AM

I agree with hand quilting, with regular thread. Heavier thread will make bigger holes in the fabric, which will weaken it.
Old 09-09-2018, 05:36 AM
Power Poster

If you want to retain the vintageness (I don't know if that's a word!) of that gorgeous top I would hand quilt it with quilting thread. I understand the case for machine quilting but that top is old and hand quilting would maintain the look. I wouldn't use perle cotton.
Old 09-09-2018, 06:05 AM

Thank you for the wonderful advise. I will do just as you suggested with quilting thread instead of perle. And Hobbs batting with wide quilt back. Thank you! I can’t wait to get started!

I’m at Joann’s now and if anyone can tell me how much thread I should buy that would be great!!!
Old 09-09-2018, 08:43 AM

Joann’s didn’t have the thread you recommended, but they had some Guiterman 100% silk that was the perfect color. Will that be ok?
Old 09-09-2018, 10:50 AM

If you try to use silk thread for hand quilting, you will be sorry. Quilting thread is heavier and has a coating that helps it slide through the layers and helps it keep from knotting. Gutterman makes a hand quilting thread that is pretty good, not as good as YLI, but is pretty good.
Old 09-09-2018, 11:11 AM

Ok, thanks. I will order some YLI thread online then.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:13 AM

I, too, am a hand quilter. With the age of this flimsy, I'd be consistent with the age of the fabrics and hand quilt it, using either a cotton or a poly batt. I sometimes do not use quilting thread but the same thread that I sew with. I have had no problem using it, either while quilting or as the quilt is used.

There must have been a time that yellow was popular. I just came across blocks that my mother put together and there is that same yellow that you have in the pictures. It wouldn't have been my choice but it must have looked good to her! She put a lot of time into these blocks so I will leave the yellow and get the blocks together. It appears like Jack's Chain but the 1/2 blocks for between the blocks aren't there. She left "a million" little 9 patch blocks that I could continue on unless I decide to put these together another way. I can see pencil marks that each of the squares of the 9 patch were individually cut--no rotary cutting or strip piecing there!--and all are consistent size. Seams are more like 1/8" than 1/4. As I remember her machine, that it about the width of the presser foot on that machine though. This is going to be a challenge but, as with you finishing your own mother's work, it will be rewarding. We will hope our moms are watching.
Old 09-10-2018, 05:33 AM

Illinois, I also found the beginnings of a wedding ring quilt along with the original pattern and millions of little squares. All of the fabric is as fragile as the quilt shown in this thread. I think if i tried to finish piecing this quilt top, the fabric would fall apart. I'm not sure I want to tackle it and I'm not sure anyone would love to get these precious pieces!
Old 09-10-2018, 04:44 PM
Power Poster

When I was hand quilting years ago I only used regular hand quilting thread with the coating on it. It doesn't tangle as easy as most regular uncoated thread does.

Good luck. Top is gorgeous and hand quilting it is in order for the time it was made. Lucky you to have it.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:43 PM

I have a quilt top I'm going to hand quilt. The blocks are all state flower blocks, with blue calico sashing and borders. With all the hand work my aunt (who is 92 now) did when she embroidered the blocks for this top some 30-50 years ago, I think it deserves to be hand quilted. I know it's going to be a big job.

Last edited by Jeanette Frantz; 09-11-2018 at 09:45 PM. Reason: correction