Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Flaking Starch.........How Do You Prevent It >

Flaking Starch.........How Do You Prevent It

Flaking Starch.........How Do You Prevent It

Old 08-25-2010, 05:51 PM

Just wanted to thank all of you for these wonderful replies. I've always had problems with flaking, but I'd stray and iron. Today I was making a set of pillowcases for my DSD, pre-washed fabric, dryed, and took the time to let the starch dry. No flakes, yuppie.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:24 PM

And if you have a Fleet Farm around that is the cheapest place to buy Mary Ellens Best Press.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:29 AM

I haven't read the other replies, so if this is a duplication, just chalk it up to my not taking time to read them!
They tell us around here at Guild, guest speakers, ect, not to use starch on quilting fabrics or anything else, for that matter.
Magic Sizing is what is used around here. It gives a nice feel to the fabric. It makes it feel like it did before washing/rinsing when first new. I really like to use it.
The reason for not using starch is because after it has remained in the fabric, bugs, ect, are attracted to it. I understood one of them to say the starch has live properties in the flour which attract the bugs.
Anyway, that is my answer to starch.
Mariah.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:25 AM

I use Scent-free Mary Ellen's best press and I threw out
my spray starches because I always got flakes. Now I never
have a problem.-Judy
Old 08-26-2010, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Okay help the guy quilter out here........I read on another thread that there is a proper temp to using starch and apparently a secret to keeping it from flaking.

So here is my question..........

What is the proper temp and use of starch. I used to used sizing and now swapped to starch but it flakes on me in spots. Now it usually washes out no big deal but whats the secret to not flaking.

Billy
I only use Mary Ellen's Best Press. I am able to special order it from Fabric Depot which is oh, so very near by!
Starch attracts bugs, so I don't use it on my quilts.

If I had to use starch, I guess I would buy the bottled starch and dilute it 50/50 or 60/40.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:30 AM

I always used either Faultless or Sizing and would get flakes if I didn't let the Faultless soak into the fabric. I have since switched to Sta-Flo and mixing to the ratio that I need at the time and no flakes if I allow it the time to soak. I recently bought Mary Ellen's Best in the Lavender scent (the only one available) on sale at Hancocks and have tried it in my laundry room with my Rowenta iron to iron clothes and it has left brown (scortched) marks on that iron. I've used the Best Press in my sewing room with my Olioso iron on fabric with no brown marks. My complaints with the BP (other than the browning on the iron) is the smell, the cost, and not heavy enough starching. IMHO, one product doesn't fit everyone's situation. Jinnie
Old 08-31-2010, 01:46 PM

I use Best Press starch, you can buy it at Hancocks or other fabric stores....it's the best and never flakes.
Kind Regards,
MaryAnna
Old 08-31-2010, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
For spray starch, the secret is in giving the starch time to sink into the fabric. This probably takes longer if the fabric has not been prewashed because the fabric is treated in the factory to resist dirt (and starch!). Flakes and "snow" occur when the starch is ironed before it has had a chance to be completely absorbed by the fabric fibers.

I do not use spray starch anymore because I seem congenitally unable to wait long enough at the ironing board. Since I don't prewash, my fabrics usually have enough stiffening in them already for accurate cutting and piecing.

When I do starch fabric, it's usually for backing fabric. For that, I mix a 1:1 solution of Sta-Flo liquid laundry starch and water to make a heavy solution, paint it on to the fabric with a large wall painting brush until the fabric is saturated, toss in the dryer, and then iron with steam. Drying the fabric before ironing ensures there will be no wet starch to scorch. With this method I can use a very hot iron and not worry about scorching the starch because it has been entirely absorbed by the fabric. The steam re-activates the starch just enough for ironing all the wrinkles out.
Great explanation!!! Thanks!!
Old 06-07-2011, 06:03 PM

I was having trouble with my starch flaking and found this Message Board! I'm liking it very much!
I use liquid starch, mixed w/water and a little scented oil. Just a few drops... there are no oil stains, either! I saw that tip on a TV program (the one where the British ladies come in and help hoarders clean their house & get rid of their clutter!)... It's smells nice like Best Press, and is WAY more economical.
I'm a frugal quilter... I'd rather spend my money on FABRIC than starch! Thanks for all the tips on preventing flaking.
I, too, use a very heavy mixture.
One other tip I can add is I make my starch mixture in a pail. I soak all my fabric (fat quarters) in the mixture, blot them with an old bath towel, and then toss them in the dryer for a bit, just to get most of the moisture out. It takes a lot less time to iron them when they're almost dry... and, come to think of it... Yeah!--- there is no flaking then either!
Old 06-07-2011, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by quiltinghere
Sounds like it maybe a little too heavy if the charm can stand up on end! LOL :)

Like others I also let mine rest a bit...if I have time. I also spray on the wrong side of fabric so IF it flakes it'll flake there.
I would have to fondly disagree with a "little to heavy" According to the "quilting book of Danni" (thats me) there is no such thing as TO MUCH STARCH.

I spray mine till it is soaked, like enough you could probably wring it out, then I put the kids to bed and drape the soaking wet fabric over the kitchen table and chairs, sometimes the ironing board too, let it dry till its a stuff mess! Hit it with the steam iron, it softens up the starch enough to make it smooth but it leaves it still stiff! I never have a problem with stretched bias! lol oh and my back of my quilt tops are never stringy either.

However if this isn't your "style" I have read that you can spray it, fold it up, put it in a ziplock bag for at least 30 minutes, bring it out and iron it and it won't flake!