Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Flaking Starch.........How Do You Prevent It >

Flaking Starch.........How Do You Prevent It

Flaking Starch.........How Do You Prevent It

Old 06-07-2011, 07:00 PM

Awesome! I work at a quilt shop... and the folks that run it started out recommending to us the Magic Spray Sizing... then, mysteriously... their work started coming into the shop... suspiciously STIFF and BOARD-LIKE!!! LOL... Yup. They have all (like you and I) have gone to super starch. I think they spray... but I mix my own!

and... I love it. No frayed edges to my blocks... all crisp and nice. I just like finding more ways to starch QUICKER. Thanks for all the tips! Yours were great!
Old 06-07-2011, 07:00 PM

When I starch my fabric, I spray the back first and smooth it out with my hands which also kinda rubs it in at the same time. I then turn it over and press the fabric. If I want the fabric stiffer, I then spray the front and smooth it out to rub the spray in and turn it over and press the back. I haven't had any flakes at all :thumbup:
Old 06-07-2011, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Oh I know it washes out but I just didnt know if there was something I was missing when I was starching the living daylights out of my material.

I have to have the heavy starch so that all of my blocks are square and the points line up perfectly.

Billy
Another advantage I found to heavily starching is that if you mark your quilt for quilting, you're marking on the starch and not the fabric and it washes out with the starch.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:22 PM

Go back to sizing. The bugs like all that starch.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:13 PM

Oooo... I've never had any trouble with bugs.... where are you from? In Wisconsin... we have these winters that are 30 degrees below zero.... and some of those bugs don't live here! I now have bugs in my sunflower (bird) seed... but it's hot and summer. They creep me out... And... what kind of bugs are attracted to starch? Should I start a new subject?? :o)
Old 06-11-2011, 07:12 AM

starch draws silverfish.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:42 AM

Don't store fabric with starch on it and you won't have the problem! One more reason NOT to have a stash! :)

Here is a little bit of info.
Habitat, Food Source(s): Silverfish are chewing insects and general feeders but prefer carbohydrates and protein, including flour, dried meat, rolled oats, paper and even glue. They and can survive long periods, sometimes over a year, without food but are sensitive to moisture and require a high humidity (75% to 90%) to survive. They also have a temperature preference between 70 and 80 degrees F. They are fast running and mostly active at night and generally prefer lower levels in homes, but may be found in attics.

http://insects.tamu.edu/fieldguide/aimg2.html

Most likely if you don't have problems with them in your home already they are not going to come in JUST for your starched fabric.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:06 AM

My fabric stash (yes... I do have one...) is in our basement. In summers, the temps are very cool... but we heat with wood, and it's super warm down here in the winters. So far I have not seen any bugs other than spiders! We have a little supply of wood down here, seasonally, and yes... we do get SOME of those insects due to them hiding out on the firewood. My folks had silverfish in their TYPING paper supply in the hot attic when I was a kid. There was no way my mom could get rid of them. They were awful. Thank you for the warning! I am now aware! (yuck, huh?)
Old 06-13-2011, 07:12 AM

Hey Billy
Like other here - I quilt the startch thing al together and use MaryEllen's best Pressed.
Theyhave it at some stores but you can also goto www.maryellenproducts.com and look under the aundry section. A gallon and a quart I beleive will be the $50 required to no shipping - I wait of those and usually NEVERrun out !
Old 06-13-2011, 07:27 AM

When ever I use the concentrate and use it full strenght , I let it dry completely. No flaking!! And yes it is stiff as a board, put there are times when I want it that stiff.