Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Sewing In Basement

I am currently doing my sewing in a small bedroom upstairs (1 1/2 story house) that is on the Southwest side of the house. It gets unbearable in that room by early afternoon. I am thinking about moving everything to the basement where it is much cooler. I run a dehumidifier down there all the time. Do you think it will harm my machines to be in the basement full time?

I sewed in my basement for years. Never had any dehumdifier at all. Never had any machine problems.

not if you keep the dehumidifier going

Blog Entries
    We dont have basements in texas!!!

I never had problems...you should be fine

I sew in the basement with no problems

I moved to the basement last year. It's great. My previous sewing room was so incredibly unbearable in the summer that I wouldn't sew from June to September.

Now dh has the room as a computer room and loves the heat. Strange people-might be that I have a whole lot more insulation. I outweigh him be ~45 pounds.

I've been sewing in the basement for 10 years--I have 6 machines down there and no problems with any of them. I don't run a dehumidifier, but mine is a walkout basement and it's heated and air conditioned. I love it, especially in the summer!

klc
    My sewing room for years was the entire finished basement. Sometimes we used a dehumidifier and sometimes we didn't. I never had a problem. Last summer I moved upstairs to a spare bedroom that faces north. I am so much happier now that I am upstairs. I didn't like not having windows or being isolated downstairs. My space has been drastically reduced, but it is so worth it. Maybe you could put blinds up to reduce the heat. Just make sure it is really what you want. It is a lot of work moving everything. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Blog Entries
    I would make sure that all your fABRIC is up off the floor and if there is no storage, make sure to have it in Rubbermaid totes with their lids closed tight if your in a flooding area. :)

Do you have heat in the basement? My sewing room is in the basement
    but too cold to sew in the winter.

Thanks everyone! My basement is not finished (downside!). However it is very dry and I have access to the TV down there (upside). We are putting our house on the market and at least I won't have that mess in that bedroom. I did have a blind on the window, but the house should have had two a/c installed to handle that load. I know it is going to be like moving day when we move everything down there. My fabric will be in totes, just because I don't want anything to happen to it and don't want any "basement" smell to affect the fabric either. I will really get jealous when I see all the pretty sewing rooms that people have! But since we want to sell the house, I don't want to finish the basement either.

Blog Entries
    If your washing machine is down there, I would store everything up a ways off of the floor, just in case :wink: :D:D:D

Quote Originally Posted by amma
    If your washing machine is down there, I would store everything up a ways off of the floor, just in case :wink: :D:D:D
    We have a finished closet down there that I can put everything in totes and put on the shelves. I will just have to mark the totes so that I don't have to move everything when I want to find a particular fabric.

Another question, when I store fabric in totes should I use those moisture control thingys with the fabric? I save them from my asthma medicines and have a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
    I sewed in my basement for years. Never had any dehumdifier at all. Never had any machine problems.
    Me too

Quote Originally Posted by grayma
    Thanks everyone! My basement is not finished (downside!). However it is very dry and I have access to the TV down there (upside). We are putting our house on the market and at least I won't have that mess in that bedroom. I did have a blind on the window, but the house should have had two a/c installed to handle that load. I know it is going to be like moving day when we move everything down there. My fabric will be in totes, just because I don't want anything to happen to it and don't want any "basement" smell to affect the fabric either. I will really get jealous when I see all the pretty sewing rooms that people have! But since we want to sell the house, I don't want to finish the basement either.
    Can you leave your stash upstairs? Just have what you currently need in the basement. My sewing room is also on the 2nd floor, and TOO warm. I'm thinking of just moving my machine to the dining room (unused unless we have company) for the summer. Not as convenient, but at least I'll be able to sew past 1pm.

I sewing a sub basement... we run a dehumidifier part time, as needed...

I doubt u will have a problem.....
    come on DOWN to the BASEMENT baby!!!!

bj
    Quote Originally Posted by alikat110
    We dont have basements in texas!!!
    I have one in Lubbock. But I don't sew in it. That's dh's mancave. :-D :-D

I love my basement sewing room, it is soooo much cooler. With the iron on( its always surprising how much heat accumulates) its just too hot for a upstairs bedroom. Lots of room , plus when I 'm done I just walk away and the rest of the house still looks "normal".
    I do run a dehumidifier this time of year. But in the winter I have a space heater that supliments the regular heating system. But beleive it or not the iron being on in the winter ... its not long before its warmed up.

Blog Entries
    All my craft and sewing area is downstairs and I love it. It is a dry basement but we still run a dehumidifier. Also...... while it is not finished, I painted the walls a cheery yellow AND painted the floor (much easier to clean).... and have made it a very cute place to be. I LOVE it and highly recommend painting at least the walls..... it made a HUGELY Beautiful difference!

Blog Entries
    My sewing room is in the basement. We keep a dehumidifier running. The only thing I miss is the natural sunlight...no windows.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grayma
    Quote Originally Posted by amma
    We have a finished closet down there that I can put everything in totes and put on the shelves. I will just have to mark the totes so that I don't have to move everything when I want to find a particular fabric.

Another question, when I store fabric in totes should I use those moisture control thingys with the fabric? I save them from my asthma medicines and have a lot.
    No, you may put them in a bag and hang it up. It will draw the moisture out of the air. You may have to dump the water out. Ask me how I know this. :roll:

Blog Entries
    I also sew in my basement, but I don't have any dampness problem. I would keep the dehumidifier going and cover the machine when not in use.

I sew in my basement -- but then it is finished and there are other finished rooms down there. I don't have issues with dampness in this house, but I did in the house we lived in before (I was also in the basement). If you have dampness I would make sure to run the dehumidifier. In my previous house, even the totes got a smell and I had to pitch a bunch of fabric.

I am a basement dweller and love it. The boys have their man cave on one side and I have the girl cave on the other. that's what my gd calls it. It is not finished, , painted cinderblock walls and a cement floor, put down some area rugs from walmart, we run a dehumidifier, more in the summer than the winter. Temp is great in summer a little cold in winter, but only need a sweatshirt cold. I have three machines, down there and all my stash, havent' had an issue yet. I keep fabric on wood bookcases with curtains to keep out as much dust as possible. I do keep my machines covered when not in use to keep down the dust also. Thought about putting it upstairs but have more room in the basement and everyone forgets I am down there and leaves me alone. Perfect.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast