Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sewing In Basement

Lots of us basement folks!!! I LOVE my studio, in walkout basement no problem with humidity, but if you do or think you might I would keep that dehumidifier running. But you will enjoy the experience!!

I would think the moisture control thingys wouldn't hurt. But if the basement is dry you should be ok. I sew in the basement and have had no problems with my machines or fabric.

Temple, TX (Transplanted from New York 2010)
    It sounds like a super duper idea to me.

debra

Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!
    Quote Originally Posted by alikat110
    We dont have basements in texas!!!
    really? but you have tornadoes! :shock:

I used to sew in the basement in a little corner of my small laundry area. I didn't quilt then, but I did do a lot of sewing. It was great in the summer- nice and cool and my laundry was always done! But when my son moved out I took his bedroom. So much more space and I can just shut the door. But in the summer it gets TOO hot up there. I would sew in the morning before it got too bad. If I was piecing, I could turn the fan on me to keep cool. Now that I have a FW, I can take it somewhere cooler to sew and I take projects to the lake house and sew a lot there in the evenings or when the weather is not good outside. I wouldn't move my stuff back to the same spot in the basement on a bet! The space is
    Waaaay too small now!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grayma
    I am currently doing my sewing in a small bedroom upstairs (1 1/2 story house) that is on the Southwest side of the house. It gets unbearable in that room by early afternoon. I am thinking about moving everything to the basement where it is much cooler. I run a dehumidifier down there all the time. Do you think it will harm my machines to be in the basement full time?
    My sewing studio is in the basement. I run a dehumidifer constantly and when my neighbor came in the other day she said, "Wow! Your basement is so nice and cool and not musty smelling like mine." She said she runs a dehumidifier too, but I don't think she is vigilent about it. Just don't store things on the floor if it is cement. I have a laminate floor and love it. No cardboard allowed or anything like that which could absorb moisture.

Always lived in Fl or Al. so never had a basement, but several people have posted pics of their basement sewing rooms.

My sewing room is in my basement too and it is nice and cozy and cool there when the summer weather gets warm... although these days we are dealing with nasty rain/drizzle/fog..RDF... sigh..... peasoup fog at that.. although today, despite the overcast day it is actually warm out there.

I sew in the basement now and don't have a problem. I gave me more room to work and I love it. Especially in the summer heat.

My sewing room was in the basement for years and so was my washer and dryer. It made it easy to wash fabric and do laundry and not forget them. Loved it down there.

Quote Originally Posted by anniec55
    Lots of us basement folks!!! I LOVE my studio, in walkout basement no problem with humidity, but if you do or think you might I would keep that dehumidifier running. But you will enjoy the experience!!
    Thanks, you just wrote exactly what my words would have been...
    I love it down there... cool and wonderful walk-out with a patio and lots of sun coming in for the early morning....
    Proud of my Hubby, putting up walls to create a great sewing room for me>>>

If you keep it warm and dry and have enough light I don't see any reason that you can't work in the basement.

I am in the basement and have had no problems. I do have a few humid days in the summer but does not seem to affect my machines.

I've had my sewing room in both the basement and upstairs.

I liked the basement for the summertime (and it was a HUGE room), but the rest of the year I like upstairs (in a much smaller room). I like the sun's natural light when I'm working. The basement was just too darned dark.

So my room is now back upstairs. Probably will always stay here even though it's so much smaller.

We're arid here (Idaho) so never had a need for a humidifier. I love our weather!

yup that is where mine is in the basement.. 1/4 of my basement is finished, but that is the kids play room, my laundry room is being finished as we speak, I am in a room that will be come a bedroom some time in the future....
    Never have a problem, have heat and air down there.

Blog Entries
    My sewing room is the basement. I have't had any moisture problems at all. My hubby painted the wall light yellow and put up extra lights for me. I can leave the mess and no one sees it. It's cool in the summer and I just turn on a heater when I'm down in the winter, sometimes I don't even need that. No problems with smell.

My sis's sewing area has been in her basement for 20 years and she has no problems. She runs a dehumidifier.

I have my sewing set up in my "dungeon" (unfinished basement) and it is damp down there so the dehumidifier is running all the time and I have no problems at all with my machines or fabric. I do store all of my fabric in rubbermaid containers to keep the moisture out.

If you are worried about a "basement" smell on the fabric, you could put out a small dish of dessicant that will absorb moisture from the air. It isn't harmful and will help in that regard

My sewing has been in the basement for years. I do run a humidifier but have had no problem with my fabric or the machines.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fabric whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by alikat110
    We dont have basements in texas!!!
    really? but you have tornadoes! :shock:
    we have storm cellars for that. little hidy holes that make you almost wish you'd stayed topside.

Blog Entries
    I would make the move. I redid some of my room a few weeks ago to move in a new machine. I also am moving but in about a year. Put all your things away and mark the storage real well what is in it. only keep out what you think you will work on. This way you will be packed when your house sells

Since I started Quilting I have sewn in the basement. Granted they were finished basements. I have never had any problems with my machines. Sewing in the basement keeps my mess out of sight.

My dream would have been to have a room with very large windows. But I can't see that happening. we downsized a couple of years ago.

But I have a computer and 57" TV down there so it is not too bad. We need to get better lighting down there. Which is on my husbands long list I have for him.

Quilterfay in Sunny Saskatchewan

Blog Entries
    Been sewing in my basement just fine...

Blog Entries
    Why not put a window AC unit in the upstairs room? That will give extra cooling in the afternoons and save you all that moving. I bought a small unit at Walmart for $139 for a large very hot dog kennel and the unit works great.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast