Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing In Basement >

Sewing In Basement

Sewing In Basement

Old 06-09-2011, 04:29 PM

My sewing room is in the basement. We keep a dehumidifier running. The only thing I miss is the natural sunlight...no windows.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by grayma
Originally Posted by amma
If your washing machine is down there, I would store everything up a ways off of the floor, just in case :wink: :D:D:D
We have a finished closet down there that I can put everything in totes and put on the shelves. I will just have to mark the totes so that I don't have to move everything when I want to find a particular fabric.

Another question, when I store fabric in totes should I use those moisture control thingys with the fabric? I save them from my asthma medicines and have a lot.
No, you may put them in a bag and hang it up. It will draw the moisture out of the air. You may have to dump the water out. Ask me how I know this. :roll:
Old 06-09-2011, 05:02 PM

I also sew in my basement, but I don't have any dampness problem. I would keep the dehumidifier going and cover the machine when not in use.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:17 PM

I sew in my basement -- but then it is finished and there are other finished rooms down there. I don't have issues with dampness in this house, but I did in the house we lived in before (I was also in the basement). If you have dampness I would make sure to run the dehumidifier. In my previous house, even the totes got a smell and I had to pitch a bunch of fabric.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:59 PM

I am a basement dweller and love it. The boys have their man cave on one side and I have the girl cave on the other. that's what my gd calls it. It is not finished, , painted cinderblock walls and a cement floor, put down some area rugs from walmart, we run a dehumidifier, more in the summer than the winter. Temp is great in summer a little cold in winter, but only need a sweatshirt cold. I have three machines, down there and all my stash, havent' had an issue yet. I keep fabric on wood bookcases with curtains to keep out as much dust as possible. I do keep my machines covered when not in use to keep down the dust also. Thought about putting it upstairs but have more room in the basement and everyone forgets I am down there and leaves me alone. Perfect.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:13 PM

Lots of us basement folks!!! I LOVE my studio, in walkout basement no problem with humidity, but if you do or think you might I would keep that dehumidifier running. But you will enjoy the experience!!
Old 06-09-2011, 06:18 PM

I would think the moisture control thingys wouldn't hurt. But if the basement is dry you should be ok. I sew in the basement and have had no problems with my machines or fabric.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:32 PM

It sounds like a super duper idea to me.

debra
Old 06-10-2011, 03:26 AM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

Originally Posted by alikat110
We dont have basements in texas!!!
really? but you have tornadoes! :shock:
Old 06-10-2011, 03:38 AM

I used to sew in the basement in a little corner of my small laundry area. I didn't quilt then, but I did do a lot of sewing. It was great in the summer- nice and cool and my laundry was always done! But when my son moved out I took his bedroom. So much more space and I can just shut the door. But in the summer it gets TOO hot up there. I would sew in the morning before it got too bad. If I was piecing, I could turn the fan on me to keep cool. Now that I have a FW, I can take it somewhere cooler to sew and I take projects to the lake house and sew a lot there in the evenings or when the weather is not good outside. I wouldn't move my stuff back to the same spot in the basement on a bet! The space is
Waaaay too small now!