Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing In Basement >

Sewing In Basement

Sewing In Basement

Old 06-10-2011, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by grayma
I am currently doing my sewing in a small bedroom upstairs (1 1/2 story house) that is on the Southwest side of the house. It gets unbearable in that room by early afternoon. I am thinking about moving everything to the basement where it is much cooler. I run a dehumidifier down there all the time. Do you think it will harm my machines to be in the basement full time?
My sewing studio is in the basement. I run a dehumidifer constantly and when my neighbor came in the other day she said, "Wow! Your basement is so nice and cool and not musty smelling like mine." She said she runs a dehumidifier too, but I don't think she is vigilent about it. Just don't store things on the floor if it is cement. I have a laminate floor and love it. No cardboard allowed or anything like that which could absorb moisture.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:35 AM

Always lived in Fl or Al. so never had a basement, but several people have posted pics of their basement sewing rooms.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:54 AM

My sewing room is in my basement too and it is nice and cozy and cool there when the summer weather gets warm... although these days we are dealing with nasty rain/drizzle/fog..RDF... sigh..... peasoup fog at that.. although today, despite the overcast day it is actually warm out there.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:01 AM

I sew in the basement now and don't have a problem. I gave me more room to work and I love it. Especially in the summer heat.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:12 AM

My sewing room was in the basement for years and so was my washer and dryer. It made it easy to wash fabric and do laundry and not forget them. Loved it down there.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by anniec55
Lots of us basement folks!!! I LOVE my studio, in walkout basement no problem with humidity, but if you do or think you might I would keep that dehumidifier running. But you will enjoy the experience!!
Thanks, you just wrote exactly what my words would have been...
I love it down there... cool and wonderful walk-out with a patio and lots of sun coming in for the early morning....
Proud of my Hubby, putting up walls to create a great sewing room for me>>>
Old 06-10-2011, 06:04 AM

If you keep it warm and dry and have enough light I don't see any reason that you can't work in the basement.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:08 AM

I am in the basement and have had no problems. I do have a few humid days in the summer but does not seem to affect my machines.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:55 AM

I've had my sewing room in both the basement and upstairs.

I liked the basement for the summertime (and it was a HUGE room), but the rest of the year I like upstairs (in a much smaller room). I like the sun's natural light when I'm working. The basement was just too darned dark.

So my room is now back upstairs. Probably will always stay here even though it's so much smaller.

We're arid here (Idaho) so never had a need for a humidifier. I love our weather!
Old 06-10-2011, 07:03 AM

yup that is where mine is in the basement.. 1/4 of my basement is finished, but that is the kids play room, my laundry room is being finished as we speak, I am in a room that will be come a bedroom some time in the future....
Never have a problem, have heat and air down there.