Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing In Basement >

Sewing In Basement

Sewing In Basement

Old 06-10-2011, 09:12 AM

I've been sewing in my basement for over 50 years and no problem what's so ever. What's nice is you don't have to put everything away when you want to stop sewing for awhile. It's always there, right where you left off.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:10 AM

I, too, sew in the basement and it's especially great in the summer time as it's nice and cool. I have a space heater for the winter and that works out fine.

It's a walkout basement so do have two windows. Run the dehumidifier a lot and haven't had any problems with machines or fabric.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by grayma
Originally Posted by amma
If your washing machine is down there, I would store everything up a ways off of the floor, just in case :wink: :D:D:D
We have a finished closet down there that I can put everything in totes and put on the shelves. I will just have to mark the totes so that I don't have to move everything when I want to find a particular fabric.

Another question, when I store fabric in totes should I use those moisture control thingys with the fabric? I save them from my asthma medicines and have a lot.
I'm not sure about the moisture control containers, but I don't think it would hurt a thing, especially since they are from med. bottles. Those things usually contain charcoal type stuff I think. It might really help and they take up so little space.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:14 PM

I always sew in the basement. I use a dehumidifer in the summer. Never had a problem.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:42 PM

I sewed in the basement for years and with no problem to machines or tools. But I began to feel like a cave person becasue we don't have any windows. Well, one of those 12" things but not enough to produce any light. Finally had to toss a kid out of his room and move back upstairs.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:48 PM

Oh I sooo agree I am in the basement without windows and really do not like it. My husband made a room for me but not big enough and there would have been more room available but he doesn't seem to understand why I need more room.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:58 PM
Power Poster

invest in one of those devices that measures the humidity. They are not expensive and are worth every penny. You would ideally like to keep your humidity level around 50 percent or less. The other major thing is to have light. I leave lights on in all the dark corners. Mildew loves the dark and damp. I live in a raised rancher and the whole lower level or basement is my studio. I do have to have the dehumidifier on all the time. Enjoy the space!
peace :D
Old 06-10-2011, 02:05 PM

I sew in the basement and don't have any problem.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:08 PM

I love my sewing space in the basement. When we built the house, we had the builder put in two 3 ft square windows in the southwest end, and there's a standard little basement window on the W-n-w side, so I have some pretty good natural light. Then we added a great number of florescent shop lights, a piece of carpet, some old but not dead storage pieces, and couches and a TV and radio. My old dining table which is huge is a perfect work place for cutting and whatever. I love the floor for making the quilt sandwiches, and laying out big stuff my design wall is too little for. Since my personal themostat has changed so much, I am quite comfortable down there in the summer, and it doesn't take much more than some sweats or a sweater in the winter. I can walk away and leave it, and no one's the wiser!

I do want to get busy this summer and finish painting the walls- my arms got tired before completion, add a way to hang my quilts for decor (most likely a board near the ceiling that I can hang things from,) and redo my improvised curtains into something a little more workable.

I do love it down there!
Old 06-10-2011, 02:46 PM

I had my sewing in the basement for years and my machine rusted up in and around the bobbin area! Too damp even with a dehumidifier running full time!